Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Where do you want to live when you retire?

Message 111 of 353

Dominican Republic

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 112 of 353

Hope you have LOTS of money. It's a very expensive place to live. Traffic is atrocious, people aren't friendly, and the crime rate, depending on where you are, can be quite high. Also, depending on where you live, there may not be bus service or a grocery store within miles.  Flooding is rampant in certain spots. Flood insurance is a must in pretty much any area.  Oh, and it's hot from May to November, and even when it's not, it's humid (which makes it seem even colder when it's cold).

We've lived here 23 years, and that's been 22 years too long.

Kudos
Views
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 113 of 353

I currently live in Annandale Virginia.  In two years when I retire I'm planning to relocate to Charleston South Carolina.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Tennessee

Message 114 of 353

@dreamhomenj wrote:

Colorful_garden_1.jpg

It is reported about 10,000 baby boomers retire daily.

Some of them want stay home where they are.

Some want to move to other place to enjoy their retirement.

Do you want retire and stay where you are?

Or do you want move to a community where you can make friends and share commen interests?

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 115 of 353

@bagelcrisp wrote:

Florida where it's nice and warm.

Florida is Hot and Humid during the summer and depending on where you live it can get quite cold during the winter. I am so ready for Winter.

But we do not have a State Income Tax and Senoirs get an extra deduction their property tax.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 116 of 353

Florida where it's nice and warm.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 117 of 353

@Candy3954 wrote:

Property taxes and sales tax in IL are near the highest in the nation and going up, if they’re not the highest.  I live in a starter home in an area that hasn’t recovered as well economically as most others and for a small property I’m paying $5,600/year in real estate taxes.  People who live in areas that have recovered faster can pay up to $14,000 a year in real estate taxes - over a thousand dollars a month.  That’s a huge chunk of most retirees’ Budget.

That would be huge chunk of anyone regular working persons budget. Brtween that and Property Insurance it would be almost impossible to own a home.

Kudos
Views
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 118 of 353
Grove city Ohio had new house built.
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 119 of 353

Property taxes and sales tax in IL are near the highest in the nation and going up, if they’re not the highest.  I live in a starter home in an area that hasn’t recovered as well economically as most others and for a small property I’m paying $5,600/year in real estate taxes.  People who live in areas that have recovered faster can pay up to $14,000 a year in real estate taxes - over a thousand dollars a month.  That’s a huge chunk of most retirees’ Budget.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 120 of 353

Do you have any idea where in Arizona?  I live in the Southern area (think Tombstone). the Northern area is beautiful too, cooler climates, snow, more evergreen.  Phoenix (central) can be unbearbly hot in summer.  Ive been here since 2008 this time but lived here (military) 3 other times in my life.  I'm in same situation like you under 2 years.  Originally from Indiana, I'm heading to Tennessee for cooler temps, like you are for hotter temps.

Kudos
Views