Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Where do you want to live when you retire?

Message 111 of 349

@bagelcrisp wrote:

Florida where it's nice and warm.

Florida is Hot and Humid during the summer and depending on where you live it can get quite cold during the winter. I am so ready for Winter.

But we do not have a State Income Tax and Senoirs get an extra deduction their property tax.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 112 of 349

Florida where it's nice and warm.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 113 of 349

@Candy3954 wrote:

Property taxes and sales tax in IL are near the highest in the nation and going up, if they’re not the highest.  I live in a starter home in an area that hasn’t recovered as well economically as most others and for a small property I’m paying $5,600/year in real estate taxes.  People who live in areas that have recovered faster can pay up to $14,000 a year in real estate taxes - over a thousand dollars a month.  That’s a huge chunk of most retirees’ Budget.

That would be huge chunk of anyone regular working persons budget. Brtween that and Property Insurance it would be almost impossible to own a home.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 114 of 349
Grove city Ohio had new house built.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 115 of 349

Property taxes and sales tax in IL are near the highest in the nation and going up, if they’re not the highest.  I live in a starter home in an area that hasn’t recovered as well economically as most others and for a small property I’m paying $5,600/year in real estate taxes.  People who live in areas that have recovered faster can pay up to $14,000 a year in real estate taxes - over a thousand dollars a month.  That’s a huge chunk of most retirees’ Budget.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 116 of 349

Do you have any idea where in Arizona?  I live in the Southern area (think Tombstone). the Northern area is beautiful too, cooler climates, snow, more evergreen.  Phoenix (central) can be unbearbly hot in summer.  Ive been here since 2008 this time but lived here (military) 3 other times in my life.  I'm in same situation like you under 2 years.  Originally from Indiana, I'm heading to Tennessee for cooler temps, like you are for hotter temps.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 117 of 349

I'm confused about your Taxes everything statement.  The information I received does speak about sales tax Thats the consumables you mention(most states do)  Where I am in Arizona, its 9%. Property tax too but here too.  

But wjhen I see:

No State tax

IRAs, 401a, private and public pension Not taxed

Tennessee gives tax break on property tax for 65, disabled, veterans (me). 

If you are only talking sales tax.....I can accept that

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 118 of 349

I want to move to Arizona from Illinois when I retire in less than 2 years...I am moving because they have a lot of sun and warm weather...I'm tired of the cold...

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 119 of 349

House is paid for. Looking to retire in about 7 months. Would like to work part time at an Apple store. Do not want to stay in Illinois, however, as taxes are killing me. Looking for place with international airport, excellent healthcare, education opportunities, arts, education, recreation, friendly town, walkable, that I can afford.  Can be overseas.  In the meantime, I'll stay put and work on that Apple job while I decompress from this one. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 120 of 349

My wife and I plan out of retiring to Florida's Palm Coast where we plan on volunteer our time with our religious organization there.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors