Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Where do you want to live when you retire?

Message 121 of 352

I want to move to Arizona from Illinois when I retire in less than 2 years...I am moving because they have a lot of sun and warm weather...I'm tired of the cold...

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 122 of 352

House is paid for. Looking to retire in about 7 months. Would like to work part time at an Apple store. Do not want to stay in Illinois, however, as taxes are killing me. Looking for place with international airport, excellent healthcare, education opportunities, arts, education, recreation, friendly town, walkable, that I can afford.  Can be overseas.  In the meantime, I'll stay put and work on that Apple job while I decompress from this one. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 123 of 352

My wife and I plan out of retiring to Florida's Palm Coast where we plan on volunteer our time with our religious organization there.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 124 of 352

With 4 years until my husbandf retires , we are planning now of where to live. Currently we live in NE PA which is a tax friendly state for retirees however we are looking for less hustle and bustle. I was considering NC but read it isn't tax friendly. So now we are considering southern VA. We ant 4 seasons but a more less snow than here. It is such a major decsion and there is so much to research. 

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 125 of 352

I'd love to retire in Tennessee. We've vacationed in Tennessee and loved the Smokey Mountains, no state income tax and low costs for housing compared to Maryland. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 126 of 352

Thank you, this is great getting all this input. Being close to VA is important. I have a variety of interests so it all sounds great. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 127 of 352

Check out the Tri-Cities - Johnson City/Kingsport/Bristol, TN - close enough to VA to save (alot) on sales tax only 1-1/2 hours to Knoxville or Gatlinburg or Asheville or Roanoke; 6 hours to Charleston SC and the ocean/6 hours to Wash.DC.  Good medical/King University/ETSU/good community college.  Barter Theater/ Good festivals/NASCAR

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 128 of 352

I knew about sales tax but my retirement money was not as bad as where I'm at and other states. I have a 9% here on sales tax so use to it. Thanks about recommendation as I had been looking at oakridge area. I'll look at strawberry plains.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 129 of 352

Be aware that Tennessee taxes EVERYTHING, fromgroceries to clothing. It's a hefty one too.

I'd check into some of the smaller towns near Knoxville (Knoxville traffic is crazy!).  

Strawberry Plains is a nice suburb quite close.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 130 of 352

I thought it was going to be where I'm at now, Arizona but life events changed my mind so now I'm going to Tennessee in less than 2 years.  Looking at Knoxville are along the Smokies. Being retired military and soon to be retired federal government employee, Tennessee is tax friendly and just a beautiful State. I can be near water and mountains as well as trees and greenery.  Any advice?

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors