Getty Images and AARP present the Disrupt Aging Collection, a searchable photo collection that redefines what it means to get older. Take a look.

Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Where do you want to live when you retire?

Message 101 of 337

@Candy3954 wrote:

Property taxes and sales tax in IL are near the highest in the nation and going up, if they’re not the highest.  I live in a starter home in an area that hasn’t recovered as well economically as most others and for a small property I’m paying $5,600/year in real estate taxes.  People who live in areas that have recovered faster can pay up to $14,000 a year in real estate taxes - over a thousand dollars a month.  That’s a huge chunk of most retirees’ Budget.

That would be huge chunk of anyone regular working persons budget. Brtween that and Property Insurance it would be almost impossible to own a home.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 102 of 337
Grove city Ohio had new house built.
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 103 of 337

Property taxes and sales tax in IL are near the highest in the nation and going up, if they’re not the highest.  I live in a starter home in an area that hasn’t recovered as well economically as most others and for a small property I’m paying $5,600/year in real estate taxes.  People who live in areas that have recovered faster can pay up to $14,000 a year in real estate taxes - over a thousand dollars a month.  That’s a huge chunk of most retirees’ Budget.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 104 of 337

Do you have any idea where in Arizona?  I live in the Southern area (think Tombstone). the Northern area is beautiful too, cooler climates, snow, more evergreen.  Phoenix (central) can be unbearbly hot in summer.  Ive been here since 2008 this time but lived here (military) 3 other times in my life.  I'm in same situation like you under 2 years.  Originally from Indiana, I'm heading to Tennessee for cooler temps, like you are for hotter temps.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 105 of 337

I'm confused about your Taxes everything statement.  The information I received does speak about sales tax Thats the consumables you mention(most states do)  Where I am in Arizona, its 9%. Property tax too but here too.  

But wjhen I see:

No State tax

IRAs, 401a, private and public pension Not taxed

Tennessee gives tax break on property tax for 65, disabled, veterans (me). 

If you are only talking sales tax.....I can accept that

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 106 of 337

I want to move to Arizona from Illinois when I retire in less than 2 years...I am moving because they have a lot of sun and warm weather...I'm tired of the cold...

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 107 of 337

House is paid for. Looking to retire in about 7 months. Would like to work part time at an Apple store. Do not want to stay in Illinois, however, as taxes are killing me. Looking for place with international airport, excellent healthcare, education opportunities, arts, education, recreation, friendly town, walkable, that I can afford.  Can be overseas.  In the meantime, I'll stay put and work on that Apple job while I decompress from this one. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 108 of 337

My wife and I plan out of retiring to Florida's Palm Coast where we plan on volunteer our time with our religious organization there.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 109 of 337

With 4 years until my husbandf retires , we are planning now of where to live. Currently we live in NE PA which is a tax friendly state for retirees however we are looking for less hustle and bustle. I was considering NC but read it isn't tax friendly. So now we are considering southern VA. We ant 4 seasons but a more less snow than here. It is such a major decsion and there is so much to research. 

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 110 of 337

I'd love to retire in Tennessee. We've vacationed in Tennessee and loved the Smokey Mountains, no state income tax and low costs for housing compared to Maryland. 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera