Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Is AARP United Healthcare Medicare supplimental insurance as bad as the customer reviews say??

Message 81 of 107
AARP plans are NOT the most expensive. I ran a cost comparison for Plan F with all the carriers in my area. Only 3 were less expensive and they offered far fewer benefits and much HIGHER rate increases in the coming years when the AARP plans were lowering their rate increases in the coming years.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Is AARP United Healthcare Medicare supplimental insurance as bad as the customer reviews say??

Message 82 of 107
Plan F is going away ONLY for those that are new enrollees after 2020. If you have Plan F now, or are eligible for it now, you can have it and keep it FOREVER. IT WILL NOT BE TAKEN AWAY FROM YOU!!!
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 83 of 107

Sorry, but a Medicare Supplement does NOT work that way.  Medicare pays first and if Medicare pays then, by law, the Supplement does have to pay...depending on what Plan level you have.  We have Full coverage Plan F.  In the last 8 years, we have had easily $600,000 in claims and NEVER have had a single instance of a claim paying problem.  Not sure what Plan you have or if you have an ADVANTAGE plan instead of a SUPPLEMENT, but I guarantee, Plan F is a Godsend. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 84 of 107

Yes, it is. They gladly collect a premium and delay paying even a one-night stay claim.They'll ask for multiple examples of itemized bills and never pay. Avoid it-it's a waste of money and only will aggrivate you.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 85 of 107

The rate increases drop in half at age 75.  You get a 30% discount off the standard rate at age 65 and lose 3% of the discount per year till age 75 when you ONLY get inflation rate increases.  They do NOT raise the premiums because of age.  They are the ONLY carrier that does community rating.  Everyone of every age gets the same rate.  PLUS, they are the ONLY carrier that will let you change plan levels any time of year instead of only once a year in Open Enrollment (that is the only time other carriers let you change).  In July, they will have a plan G which will be cheaper and they have always had a Plan N.  SO...if $306 is too expensive for 2 people, one or both of you can pick up the phone and say "I want to go to Plan N."  At the first of the next month, they will have you on a plan N*.  Then 2 months later you are planning a hip replacement, you call them "I want to go back to plan F (full coverage)".  The first of the next month, you are on Plan F.  You CAN control costs better than with ANY other company.  *be aware that any plan other than Plan F means you have to pay deductibles and maybe coinsurance too and that could cost more out of pocket than just staying on Plan F...especially if you have a heart attack ($147,000 for a friend of mine 5 days in the hospital).

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 86 of 107

No, it is NOT one of the most expensive plans out there.  You have not shopped well.  I have.  It is not the cheapest but it is on the lower end of the plans in cost and every plan cheaper was from companies that had very high rate increases after the first 3 years or were financially unstable or had questionable ethics.  AARP is stable, predictable and by age 75 IS one of the cheapest. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 87 of 107

NO...their Medicare Supplements are FANTASTIC.  Even docs comment on how great our insurance is.  It is the ADVANTAGE plans that have had problems...NOT the Supplements.  But even the Advantage plans are upgrading and more and more doctors and hospitals are now taking them again. 

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 88 of 107

My mom had the same issue and brought it to my attention. After doing some research I found a good website that provided useful information and other options that would give her the same coverage and reduce the cost. I found out that Plan F is going away soon and that Plan G would be the best alternative... so keep that in mind as well. Here is some info I found on Plan G... 

https://www.medicarefaq.com/medicare-supplement/plan-g/

Melissa Kay
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 89 of 107

AARP and UHC have an affiliation agreement.  No big secret there.

Same is true of their other affiliates.

As the Medicare link says additional benefits can also be added and these, if any, have to be weighed against a person's needs and cost.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 90 of 107

Thanks Gail1.  Yes, I'm familiar with that.  North Carolina has all three different rated policies so you have to be careful you're comparing apples to apples.  My concern, however was that AARP endorses only one policy and it is one of the most expensive.  Given that all Plan F policies must provide identica coverage, I can't figure out why the AARP-endorsed policy is so expensive?

Unless.......................

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors