Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Is AARP United Healthcare Medicare supplimental insurance as bad as the customer reviews say??

Message 71 of 107

@sktn77a wrote:

"Note: State of legal residence is even an issue so make sure you think that through if you intend to or might move later."

State of legal residence is only an issue when the policy is first issued.  If you move states thereafter, the policy follows you and is still valid.  This is great for insurers that issue policies in New York (where costs are expensive) and the policy holder moves to West Virginia (where costs are relatively inexpensive) but bad for insurers who issue a policy in West Virginia and the policy holder then moves to New York!  (Not that many people would move from WV to NY!)

Perhaps you did not mean to trivialize this subject with the words "only an issue when the policy is first" written.  But just in case some future reader thinks the word "only" implies that this is no big deal, it is a big deal. If where you live legally when you are first eligible for or sign up for a Medicare supplement is different than where you think you might end up legally residing, you need to think this through because some states have open, continuous sign up with community rating and others have various types of retrictions related to pre-existing conditions and age rating  with and without discounts (or some different mix of these characteristics)

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Is AARP United Healthcare Medicare supplimental insurance as bad as the customer reviews say??

Message 72 of 107

"Note: State of legal residence is even an issue so make sure you think that through if you intend to or might move later."

State of legal residence is only an issue when the policy is first issued.  If you move states thereafter, the policy follows you and is still valid.  This is great for insurers that issue policies in New York (where costs are expensive) and the policy holder moves to West Virginia (where costs are relatively inexpensive) but bad for insurers who issue a policy in West Virginia and the policy holder then moves to New York!  (Not that many people would move from WV to NY!)

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 73 of 107

@diginsburg wrote:
Every "letter" plan has identical coverage in all states and D.C.

Your statement is accurate with some very small differences. That is not the point however of this thread. Not all private Medigap "letter plan" Medicare supplements are offered in all states and insurance companies do not even offer private "letter plan" Medigap insurance in some states (it's against those states' laws although they have similar policies to some of the letter plans--some better and some worse).

Also the prices vary widely even in state and guaranteed enrollment rules differ widely across state lines even for the same letter plan from the same insurance company. Private Medigap insurance is controlled by your state of legal residence when you sign up (see Note); those policies are the only thing you should compare.

Note: State of legal residence is even an issue so make sure you think that through if you intend to or might move later

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 74 of 107
Every "letter" plan has identical coverage in all states and D.C.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 75 of 107

@Hassiman wrote:

Hi,
AARP's Medicare Supplemental Medicare Insurance sounds great... but I decided that before I purchase it I should read the reviews.

I was astounded! Consumer affairs reviews were the worst I have EVER seen for any product or service from any company.

This topic gets a lot of hits. Please note that the question was first asked two years ago and then a few comments were made in 2016 and about a dozen have been made since mid March 2017. Take all of them with that timing in mind as well as keep in mind that the private Medicare supplement insurance discussed here -- from AARP or anyone else -- varies from state to state in price, discount structures and what it may or may not cover. It even varies in terms if all 'Plans' -- A, C, F, G, and so forth -- are available. Some states do not even have 'Plans' that use the lettering system.  In some states there is continuous, open enrollment but in some states that is not true. You need to look only at the plans available in your states to do a comparison.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 76 of 107

I've only been on Medicare a year and a half and have the AARP Plan F. I'm happy. I see the doc every three months, have various blood tests, and have yet to pay for anything out-of-pocket except for meds. 

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 77 of 107

I have had AARP/UHC Supplemental Plan F for 11 years since I retired.   I continue to be very happy with my plan.  The premiums do increase each year, but the increases are comparable to other companies and the customer service I receive is a blessing.   I recommended the same policy to my sister who retired a couple of years after I did, and she is also very happy with the plan.    I will continue to recommend this plan, and I intend to keep it for the rest of my days.  Thank you United Health Care!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 78 of 107

You've commented 5 times in one day and 4 more times in March... calm down! You're flooding other commenters inbox. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 79 of 107
Did you figure in that after age 75 the price increases drop in HALF?
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 80 of 107
The federal government says they all must cover the same things BUT it does NOT say that they can't increase their premiums through the roof once you are enrolled. Almost all other carriers increase your premium every year you get older FOREVER. AARP only increases premiums on every person of every age in over 100+ zip codes. So you can get to be 90 and pay the same as the 70 year old down the street in your area.
Kudos
Views