Test Your Knowledge About Long-Term Care with AARP’s Long-Term Care Quiz

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Is AARP United Healthcare Medicare supplimental insurance as bad as the customer reviews say??

Message 11 of 61 (823 Views)

GailL1 wrote:

john258 wrote:

GailL1 wrote:

w269042b wrote:

I'm starting to believe it is really bad. I just signed up with them September 31st and then trying to get a doctor. On the web-site there are many doctors connected to Cleveland Clinic (Weston FL) and it states that they all take new patients but when I called them they really do not accept new patients. I called at least 10 doctors on their list and none accepted me. When I called the Customer Service Help Line and they called the doctors they had the same experience. So none of the doctors listed and connected to the Cleveland Clinic is accepting new patient. Customer Service told me that the list is no being updated and kept current and the doctors told me the same.
This has been a bad experience and I think I should change to another Co-insurance company.

You do need to understand that there is a difference in a Medicare Advantage plan and a "medicare supplemental plan aka medigap plan" (the later being the subject of this thread).  You seem to be describing a Medicare Advantage plan, and this differs from the subject of this thread.

byrondennis is right - you can change your Medicare Advantage plan at the next open enrollment period in the late fall of this year.  If certain doctors are important to you, check that out 1st before signing up.  However, it is not uncommon for doctors to come and go in some Medicare Advantage plans.

If you want better continuity, perhaps you should choose original Medicare - then perhaps buy a Medicare supplemental plan aka Medigap and a prescription drug Part D plan too.  But if you decide to go this route, there could be some hurdles to overcome, depending on your state since many of the enrolling rules for a Medigap policy are made at the state level.

Do you really understand what she is talking about. To me it is evident she does not understand this subject and badly needs the help of a local expert yet you are giving her advice which could really come back and hurt her badly. Why cant you just tell her to see a local expert. I do not understand what joy people get in giving advice to others when it is evident it can hurt them. As I have said in here I was given advice by Dennis (not asked for) that would have cost me over $1,000 per year if I had followed it. Please contact this person and tell them to seek a local expert. They  can go to the AARP Office for names if they need to.

john258,

I did not give advice, only some options which the poster can decide upon, with or without help.

It is apparent that they are not talking about a Medicare supplemental plan.

They can seek out a local person for help or do some self study. Help is listed on the Medicare site by state and it is included in the Medicare and You booklet which we all get each year.

You are free to post your response to the poster - telling them to see a local expert - you can even give them the web address to locate local help (in their state).

Medicare - Find Contact Information

Suggest you go back and reread your post. You gave advice to someone who by their post has no understanding of the subject and badly needs local expert help. It is not apparent what they are talking about since they would seem to have little knowledge of Medicare. When you give advice without knowing everything about their problem you can hurt them badly. I gave you an example of how bad advice could have done that to me. Why cant you give a person real help when it is evident they do not understand their problem and tell them where to go for a local expert. Hurting people can be easy, helping them is harder and requires we put away our own desire to feel like we are an expert.

Recognized Social Butterfly

Re: Is AARP United Healthcare Medicare supplimental insurance as bad as the customer reviews say??

[ Edited ]
Message 12 of 61 (774 Views)

john258 wrote:

. As I have said in here I was given advice by Dennis (not asked for) that would have cost me over $1,000 per year if I had followed it.

I cannot imagine what the person that wrote chrono comment 48 is talking about relative to "some advice." I almost always post statistics on this AARP Topic, sometimes with references to Medicare documents (typically from MedPAC, the GAO or the Trustees but sometimes from the Medicare bureaucracy itself) to support the statistics or some other point.

If I ever post something other than statistics that someone with a reading comprehension problem might consider advice, the advice is

• "Go see the Medicare volunteer at the nearest senior center or like facility"
  • or
  • "Read page such and such in "Medicare and You.""

2018 version in the mail2018 version in the mail

(What's really odd with chrono commenter 48's reply to Gail is the advice to go to get the name of a local expert from a "local AARP office." I am an AARP member and I do not even know where to find a "local AARP office." But you can get unbiased advice from your local senior center or like facility from a volunteer with no conflict of interest. AARP through United Healthcare sells insurance so -- human nature being what it is -- I would not depend on asking one insurance company what all the other insurance companies in my area offer. In my particular county, the AARP offering is expensive and/or not compehensive but AARP probably has great solutions in other counties.

(So both Gail and I say "Go see a local unbiased volunteer." Chrono commenter 48 says "Go see a biased paid person that works on commission." You decide which "advice" makes most sense.)

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 13 of 61 (754 Views)

john258 wrote:

GailL1 wrote:

w269042b wrote:

I'm starting to believe it is really bad. I just signed up with them September 31st and then trying to get a doctor. On the web-site there are many doctors connected to Cleveland Clinic (Weston FL) and it states that they all take new patients but when I called them they really do not accept new patients. I called at least 10 doctors on their list and none accepted me. When I called the Customer Service Help Line and they called the doctors they had the same experience. So none of the doctors listed and connected to the Cleveland Clinic is accepting new patient. Customer Service told me that the list is no being updated and kept current and the doctors told me the same.
This has been a bad experience and I think I should change to another Co-insurance company.

You do need to understand that there is a difference in a Medicare Advantage plan and a "medicare supplemental plan aka medigap plan" (the later being the subject of this thread).  You seem to be describing a Medicare Advantage plan, and this differs from the subject of this thread.

byrondennis is right - you can change your Medicare Advantage plan at the next open enrollment period in the late fall of this year.  If certain doctors are important to you, check that out 1st before signing up.  However, it is not uncommon for doctors to come and go in some Medicare Advantage plans.

If you want better continuity, perhaps you should choose original Medicare - then perhaps buy a Medicare supplemental plan aka Medigap and a prescription drug Part D plan too.  But if you decide to go this route, there could be some hurdles to overcome, depending on your state since many of the enrolling rules for a Medigap policy are made at the state level.

Do you really understand what she is talking about. To me it is evident she does not understand this subject and badly needs the help of a local expert yet you are giving her advice which could really come back and hurt her badly. Why cant you just tell her to see a local expert. I do not understand what joy people get in giving advice to others when it is evident it can hurt them. As I have said in here I was given advice by Dennis (not asked for) that would have cost me over $1,000 per year if I had followed it. Please contact this person and tell them to seek a local expert. They  can go to the AARP Office for names if they need to.

john258,

I did not give advice, only some options which the poster can decide upon, with or without help.

It is apparent that they are not talking about a Medicare supplemental plan.

They can seek out a local person for help or do some self study. Help is listed on the Medicare site by state and it is included in the Medicare and You booklet which we all get each year.

You are free to post your response to the poster - telling them to see a local expert - you can even give them the web address to locate local help (in their state).

Medicare - Find Contact Information

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 14 of 61 (736 Views)

GailL1 wrote:

w269042b wrote:

If you want better continuity, perhaps you should choose original Medicare - then perhaps buy a Medicare supplemental plan aka Medigap and a prescription drug Part D plan too.  But if you decide to go this route, there could be some hurdles to overcome, depending on your stat since many of the enrolling rules for a Medigap policy are made at the state level.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 15 of 61 (778 Views)

w269042b wrote:

If you want better continuity, perhaps you should choose original Medicare - then perhaps buy a Medicare supplemental plan aka Medigap and a prescription drug Part D plan too.  But if you decide to go this route, there could be some hurdles to overcome, depending on your stat since many of the enrolling rules for a Medigap policy are made at the state level.

Recognized Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 16 of 61 (771 Views)

w269042b wrote:

I'm starting to believe it is really bad. I just signed up with them September 31st and then trying to get a doctor. On the web-site there are many doctors connected to Cleveland Clinic (Weston FL) and it states that they all take new patients but when I called them they really do not accept new patients. I called at least 10 doctors on their list and none accepted me. When I called the Customer Service Help Line and they called the doctors they had the same experience. So none of the doctors listed and connected to the Cleveland Clinic is accepting new patient. Customer Service told me that the list is no being updated and kept current and the doctors told me the same. This has been a bad experience and I think I should change to another Co-insurance company.

You don't word it this way but yes, the best way to approach Medicare -- or any health insurance I guess -- is with the doctor. 

• What insurance does your doctor (or do your doctors) take?
  • What about nearby hospitals?

After those questions are answered (sounds like you do not have a doctor), then follow the charts on pages 4 and 5 in the newly released "Medicare and You, 2018" (see Note)

NOTE: The new version does not seem to be on the Medicare web site yet but my spouse received a copy in the mail today so I assume they are on the way to everyone. If you only have last year's, see page 17 but it is not as easy to understand as the new information. Given your comment and depending on personal and local conditions (don't post them on this web site), you probably have to time to change for 2017. You can definitely change for 2018 during the upcoming Annual Election Period. Go see the local expert at your nearest senior center or like facility if you are unsure of what these charts mean.

Info Seeker

Message 17 of 61 (774 Views)

Info Seeker

Message 18 of 61 (5,242 Views)

Obviously, you don't understand English..

I know what I will do come open enrollment/

Now for the last time....

Leave me alone.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 19 of 61 (5,205 Views)

Just trying to help you understand the Medicare Prescription Drug Program and why your cost maybe so high and IF there maybe something you can do about it.

Shop your Medicare Part D plan during open enrollment, there could be an insurer that has them on their formulary - (doubtful, but maybe)

Info Seeker

Message 20 of 61 (5,293 Views)

Gail,,

I know what I was told...

At the time I was assured  the 2 meds I asked about, would be covered, I repeated "Brand Name", was told yes..

As I said, they finally agreed to the Protonix.

I have tried several generics, please read again what I wrote, none worked.

The doctor, (who knows much more than some fool sitting behind a desk), understands what works for my health.

These people who dictate what you can have are ridiculous, much like your statement.

Please don't email me with nonsence.

Their rating is as low as it can go.......