Get the vision care news and information you need in the AARP Eye Center.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Is AARP United Healthcare Medicare supplimental insurance as bad as the customer reviews say??

Message 1 of 113

@alexiss12 wrote:

Also note that all Medicare insurance companies offer the Supplemental plans with very little difference in costs!

Medigap plans can vary in cost greatly - sometimes by your attained age or by your age when you get the supplemental policy.  Cost also vary by state and area of a state. 

On the other hand, a lot of Medicare beneficiaries can't afford a Medigap plan.  They are financially wedged between not being able to afford a monthly premium for a supplemental plan (Medigap) to pick up that 20% of their Medicare cost and making or having too much to qualify for dual coverage with Medicare and Medicaid.

So they may pick a Medicare Advantage plan that works in their area.

Traditional Medicare can deny services.  Have you never had to sign a Medicare ABN in a doctors office?  It actually might mean that if you have [whatever] done, Medicare might not pay for the service and if Medicare doesn't pay, your supplemental won't pay either.

Medicare.gov - Advanced Beneficiary Notice of Noncoverage

When something medical is denied by Medicare, the care is usually already done and thus the provider tries to get the beneficiary to pay or if a hospital, it might be covered by Medicare's Bad Debt Fund.

Some beneficiary's might file an appeal for coverage- a long process of going back and forth with them about covering something.  Medicare.gov - How do I file an appeal?

I filed one about a specific thing years ago and it took over a year with lots of correspondence, proof and medical info to get it paid.  There are 5 different levels in the Medicare appeals process -

Medicare.gov - Filing an Appeal if you have original Medicare

Kind of like a property tax appeal, it goes from one level to the next if you keep appealing it.  Finally, they did reimburse me - $ 250 - was it worth it in time and energy - NO - it was the principal of the thing, know what I mean.  I usually go down fighting - only had to get to level 3..  Woman Wink

There are a few things that have to have prior approval under traditional medicare - durable medical equipment and a few doctor services and of course, traditional Medicare does not cover all care but sometimes the beneficiary finds out about it after the fact - best to check or watch for those ABN's in a doctor office setting. 

I haven't checked in a while but at one time in late 2016, Medicare had about 300,000 appeals in process -

One of the really BIG areas of appeals is when a beneficiary goes to the ER, doc keeps them but under an "observation status" - not a true "admission".  Then they are sent to a skilled nursing facility without being ever officially admitted to a hospital for 3-consecutives days.

The rule states you need to be admitted as an inpatient for three consecutive days to qualify for a stay in a skilled nursing facility. ... Even if your hospital stay is longer than two midnights, those days cannot be converted to inpatient status after the fact.

So what happens is the SNF is not paid by Medicare.

The rule is still there - but in the last few years, the hospital now has to give you some written notice of your status in 24 hours.  Still some people get caught in this debacle cause everybody doesn't understand it or have an advocate present.

I've learned to Never say Never and situations change between people.

Medicare.gov - Inpatient or outpatient hospital status affects your costs

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Is AARP United Healthcare Medicare supplimental insurance as bad as the customer reviews say??

Message 2 of 113

I have had AARP supplemental (F) for years and never ever once have been denied Anything, Plus never ever see any biills! Only one time , due to the wrong coding by a doctor's billing dept, was there an issue (but once it was coded correctly it went right thru).

Perhaps an insurance agent needs to discuss the different types of insurance plans as remember Not all supplemental plans are the same, plus the difference in the advanatge plans( which needs prior approvals and won't approve everything!). My suggestiion is if you are a sickly person or one with many health issues the plans F and C are the best as no matter how many hospital stays , urgent care visits or "procedures" you have without any primary care doctor approvals first You never see bills! Yes these plans are more costly but you have the peace of mind of being able to see any doctor, in any state, without the worry of having to pay sometimes thousands after the fact!! 

Also note that all Medicare insurance companies offer the Supplemental plans with very little difference in costs!

@GailL1 wrote:

@JimL612564 wrote:

I have to say it really really is as as bad as the customer reviews say. I just got denied a cardiac stress test that my doctor ordered after I have had a stroke. My doctor said there's nothing he can do about it. That's about as bad as it gets. United Healthcare is endangering my health. I have to sign up with another provider. Their revenues last year were $226.2 billion because of cost saving moves like this. DO NOT SIGN UP FOR UNITED HEALTHCARE!

They'll take your money and let you die before they'll give you even basic healthcare.

I'm guessing that you have a Medicare Advantage plan rather than traditional Medicare with a Medigap plan.

Just a denial of service is useless to you in assigning where the blame may lie WITHOUT KNOWING THE REASON FOR SUCH A DENIAL.

Various test, therapies, treatments, even medications all work together under a diagnosis basis -

Strokes and Heart Attacks are different - bound together by  the overall heading of circulatory system.

Strokes = clot formation in circulatory system > gets to brain

Heart Attack or Heart muscle problem > problem with muscle itself

Could they be linked together, yes, but there would be other signs -

Find out WHY any physician recommended medical care is denied regardless of who is doing the denying.  It is the WHY that is important.

Once you find out the whatever logic for the denial and still think you are being slighted, you can determine whether or not to file a complaint against a Medicare plan -

Medicare.gov - Filing A complaint About Your Quality of Care

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 113

@JimL612564 wrote:

I have to say it really really is as as bad as the customer reviews say. I just got denied a cardiac stress test that my doctor ordered after I have had a stroke. My doctor said there's nothing he can do about it. That's about as bad as it gets. United Healthcare is endangering my health. I have to sign up with another provider. Their revenues last year were $226.2 billion because of cost saving moves like this. DO NOT SIGN UP FOR UNITED HEALTHCARE!

They'll take your money and let you die before they'll give you even basic healthcare.

I'm guessing that you have a Medicare Advantage plan rather than traditional Medicare with a Medigap plan.

Just a denial of service is useless to you in assigning where the blame may lie WITHOUT KNOWING THE REASON FOR SUCH A DENIAL.

Various test, therapies, treatments, even medications all work together under a diagnosis basis -

Strokes and Heart Attacks are different - bound together by  the overall heading of circulatory system.

Strokes = clot formation in circulatory system > gets to brain

Heart Attack or Heart muscle problem > problem with muscle itself

Could they be linked together, yes, but there would be other signs -

Find out WHY any physician recommended medical care is denied regardless of who is doing the denying.  It is the WHY that is important.

Once you find out the whatever logic for the denial and still think you are being slighted, you can determine whether or not to file a complaint against a Medicare plan -

Medicare.gov - Filing A complaint About Your Quality of Care

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 113

@JimL612564 based on the "denial of a stress test ordered by your doc" it would seem you have an Advantage plan. It is extremely rare for original Medicare to deny a properly coded claim and pre-authorization is not part of the claim process. When Medicare approves the claim your Medigap plan always pays their portion.

Bark less. Wag more.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 113

@sktn77a AARP endorses products in exchange for remuneration. With insurance products they receive "royalties" (commissions).

The organization has no influence over pricing. UHC is a for profit company. Their competitiveness varies by state. Florida, California and Arizona are "hot" (no pun intended) areas for retiring seniors. So their Medigap rate structure is competitive in those states, not so much in other states.

Bark less. Wag more.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 113

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 113

@JhonW683154 I really have no idea what you are trying to convey but I presume you felt your message was helpful. This is not a personal attack, just an observation from someone who has worked in the health insurance industry over 40 years.

And I have not bothered to read through all 105 responses, the most recent (before yours) was almost a year ago. This on a thread that is 4 years old.

My suspicion is, most folks who followed this thread early on have found their answer, or AN answer, and moved on to other things.

What is most curious about your post, beyond the fact it appears to ramble and is difficult to follow, is the reference to myaarpmedicare dot com which is an expired domain but now resolves to myaarpmedicarehealth dot com. Whois information on myaarpmedicarehealth domain shows it 

as owned by Domainsbyproxy, a company owned GoDaddy founder Bob Parsons.

The original domain was registered in 2018 and expired a year later.

That site is about as confusing as your post but it also appears to be a marketing site designed to lure people in who are seeking information about AARP sponsored Medicare plans.

The lack of solid information about the people behind the site is a bit disconcerting. Certainly not a trustworthy site in my opinion.

One name does appear, Diane Garcia, and it appears she has SOME connection to the site. She is listed as the author of at least one post but I was unable to find any information about her.

The only way to contact the site is by email. No phone or physical address that I could find.

All suspicious in my mind.

If someone, especially one or more individuals that participated in this thread, used that site as a reference it is not surprising they are confused.

Reviving a 4 yr old thread may be helpful, but I doubt anyone will really take the time to read all 100+ responses.

Have a nice day!

Bark less. Wag more.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 113

In the wake of perusing your remarks and those on that shopper issues board that you connected, I can see that there is a decent piece of perplexity.

I don't have a clue to what extent you or those analysts have been in the Medicare program however it is comprised of a wide range of parts.

Your post heading says "supplemental" protection which is Medigap inclusion and there isn't a lot of a private back up plan in such a program as Medicare Medigap (supplemental) protection can do to wreck since every one of the plans are carefully characterized by their letters in order title and inclusion by Medicare in spite of the fact that state protection controllers can watch premiums and how those premiums are set in their state.

There is NO model medicine inclusion in a supplemental arrangement.

The main prescriptions which spread the part that Medicare doesn't pay are the ones portrayed in Medicare Part B or as depicted in the event that you are hospitalized or organized for recooperation for a timeframe.

Typically with customary Medicare, you purchase a supplemental strategy to increase it and after that dependent on your medicine needs, you purchase a different Medicare D approach.

Obviously, seniors additionally have the decision of taking an interest in Medicare Part C or s Medicare Advantage plan rather than support in conventional myaarpMedicare, a supplemental approach and a physician recommended tranquilize plan.

Inside a Medicare Advantage Plan the private safety net provider has some space with regards to the arrangement configuration yet should in any case spread fundamentally indistinguishable things from Medicare. No Medigap or supplemental approach is required with a Medicar Advantage plan. Physician recommended Drug inclusion could conceivably be incorporated into the Medicare Advantage plan just as some different advantages which may likewise be incorporated into these Medicare Advantage (private safety net provider) plans.

Everyone needs to pick and pick the kind of Medicare which is best for them in inclusion and in cost.

a portion of the general population reacting on that buyer undertakings site additionally appear to be confounded.

Keep Calm!!
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 113

@DianaL174626

Diana, after reading your post I have determined that you need some specialized help to

1.   explain the various ways which you can get your Medicare benefits - Traditional Medicare with or without a Medicare Supplemental plan OR a Medicare Advantage plan

2.  from that point, they should be able to take your specific information and circumstances and make sure you have what you need, including, depending upon which way you are getting your benefit, a list of doctors that take that type of coverage.

3.  You also need to make sure that the benefit that you have is the best one for you now and/or if you should change to something else at open enrollment or when you turn 65, since I believe you said you are younger than that now.

From the way you are describing your AARP UHC plan - it sounds like a Medicare Advantage Plan which does work with networks of doctors. 

Most States have a volunteer counselor program under their SHIP program (State Health Insurance Assistance Program).  They are suppose to be well versed in Medicare and all its options and choices. 

Here is how you can find one in your state because I believe you need help in your understanding of your current coverage - understanding it should help with using it.  Or maybe you need another option when and if available..

Medicare.gov - State Health Insurance Assistance Programs (SHIPs) - Find Your State Contact

Do you have anybody assigned with Medicare that can act on your behalf with Medicare - they would help you understand your options based on your specific needs.  They would help you pick what is best for you.  Ask you SHIP couselor about how you could find or pick someone to help you and the paperwork you need to complete with Medicare for them to talk to Medicare about your benefits or you Medicare Advantage plan provider or even agent.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 113

If your husband lost his job, he should be able to go onto Cobra, which lasts for up to 18 months! That is what I did when I went on disability at 57. I paid a higher premium but was covered for the 18 months and then went on the AARP United Healthcare Supplemental. I decided to go onto plan C which is pretty good like F where you can use any doctor who accepts Medicare. (Plan F pays a little more if the doctor charges over what is customary whereas with plan C one Can be charged the difference, but that never happened to me at all and I had the plan C for almost 7 year years until I went onto Medciare at 65). The Advantage Plans ypu appear to be suggesting are mostly all like HMO where you are forced to go in network (or pay higher co pays)Basically you should check out Cobra first, then if for some reason your husband can't get Cobra(although he should be able to for the both of you), then ask AARP reps (I did mine over the phone) to explain the differences in the Advantage verses Supplemental Insurances :if you have other questions

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season