Today, 1 in 7 Seniors Live in Poverty -- AARP Foundation is Fighting to End Senior Poverty. Read More.

Conversationalist

Re: Is AARP United Healthcare Medicare supplimental insurance as bad as the customer reviews say??

Message 1 of 102
PS ; This is excerpt from link below

The first bill is for a patient who spent two days in the hospital, and has private insurance (a Medicare advantage program). Let’s see how the numbers add up. In the bottom right corner is the Account Summary. From the first line, you can see that the total bill came to $21,274.49, or about $10,000/day for two days. (The services leading to that cost are on the left: a couple of $2,500 CAT scans, a $4,400 ER charge, etc.)

On the next line is the amount the insurance company paid: $2,052.95—just less than 10% of the total due! Ouch! Doesn’t that leave the patient on the hook for the remaining $19,172.54 (still about $10,000/day, which would be a little hard on most of us)? No, because the next line is the insurance Adjustment, which is the amount that the insurance company miraculously convinces the hospital to forgive. In the end, the hospital charges twenty-one thousand dollars, the insurance company pays two thousand dollars, the patient pays fifty dollars (that’s right, just $50) and the rest just goes away.

http://truecostofhealthcare.org/hospitalization/
Report Inappropriate Content
Conversationalist

Re: Is AARP United Healthcare Medicare supplimental insurance as bad as the customer reviews say??

Message 2 of 102

Stop scaring others with your lack of understanding or is it  you are an Insurance sales person?Let someone show proof that Medicare payed these grossly over priced bills when the conditions and Surgery mentioned don't warrant price Insurance and Medicare pay for those services. If you never saw a Bill how do you know what Medicare actually paid? Please research how all this billing works before you scare your fellow seniors into paying there needed income on large  premiums[ maybe unessasaraly] and keeping Insurance Industry Filthy rich. I am not saying if it's afforable for someone and they just want security of never paying anything ever fine go for it. But knowledge is Power AND finding out the reality of 'What is Billed and What is actually paid' is something that needs to come to light so we can all make a Educated not Fear based decision

Conversationalist

Message 3 of 102

So us the bill.[I know better] If you check your Medicare the Hospital may have Billed 100k, like I said they Grossly over Bill but check what Medicare actually paid and that is what Medigap pays 20% on. Again its not what is billed it is what Insuance pays. Most people don't get this and Hospitals and Insurance companys like it that way. All Insurance Sales is based in FEAR. So again show us where the Insurance [Medicare and Supplement] actually paid 100k total NOT the Bill from Hospital and Doctor. You can find out what I am talking about with minimul research [most don't bother] also you can find out what Medicare actually on your Medicare Page online and Medigap claims page.

Conversationalist

Message 4 of 102

Not true as a total shoulder replacement like the one I had where I was in surgery for hours ran over $100,000 and I am not talking for medications. This was very spcialized surgery which is becoming more and more common. This wasn't a car accident but where I simply feel in my house onto my shoulder and totally broke it! Yet thanks to plan F I never saw one bill at all!!!I I am very very happy with Plan F and when we travel I have seen other doctors Nationwide and always get great service and No Bills!

Conversationalist

Message 5 of 102

Your can consider herself lucky as snce I have had plan F I have been in the hospital 3 times (ovenight) for fainting spells, suffered a total broken arm with over $100,000 worth of hosptial bills and Never ( Say Never) saw one bill!!! The stays in the hospitals were over $7,000 each time and I am only 68 years old!! Plan F is great but for others there is also a plan G that is a little cheaper but doesn't cover a basic Medicare deductble (where F does)

Now not all states provide the discount at 65 and then the upcharges as noted for 10 years. I know NJ and PA do but some other states just have flat rates depending on your age, so that is something one needs to consider as to where they live.

Yes there are cheaper plans but yes they are All Federally governed with similar rates nationwide. But the beauty is that you can go to any doctor or hospital that accepts Medicare Nationwide and into Canada whreas much much cheaper plans like Medciare Advantage plans have networks regionally (like HMO's) and are very very very expensive if you go out of the network or need to travel and get sick!

Conversationalist

Message 6 of 102
There are not many Hospital Surgery Stays that will cost Insurance Company or Medicare 100k. Hospitals grossly over bill [$25.00 for Advil Etc.] so as not to miss out on anything and get Max out of Medicare or Ins. Co. A 100k bill will be reduced between 3k-10k[check it out] out of pocket 600 to 2k for Patient still less than yearly premium for Supplement. A couple could be paying 5000 yearly for Supplement policy premiums. If you just need 'Upkeep' with an occasional problem in 10 years Medigap Policy Might pay 3k to 5k on average total for excess cost after medicare pays but they will have paid 50k in premiums Thats why Insurance Buildingd have Italian Marble Floors in Bathrooms.
Conversationalist

Message 7 of 102
Supplement Benefits for each letter are Federal Regulated and all the Same. Customer Service can vary but that is it. In my area AARP is 20-30% higher than most plans. AARP also says that their rate is 30% discount at 65. Then it will increase 3% each year for 10 years plus they add yearly 'inflation' rate hikes on top of that. My Mom is paying 200 for AARP plan F at age 75 plus 134 for part B. AARP plan has never paid out more than 500 in any year since she was 65 some years less than 100. It is the drugs that devastate Seniors financially. For AARP plan to pay out more than Premiums in 1 year would take devastating illness or accident and even then maybe only 1 or 2k over premium.
Conversationalist

Message 8 of 102
Prescription drug copays differ from company to company and differ year to year. if you do not know how to check your coverage for the coming year, contact an independent insurance agent for help. The supplemental from UHC is great coverage and if you have to be underwritten to get it, AARP UHC is the easiest to get.
Conversationalist

Message 9 of 102

I really wish people who are complaining about their Medicare SUPPLEMENT when they actually have a Medicare ADVANTAGE policy would look at their card and see what they actually have.  YOU HAVE NO NETWORKS WITH THE SUPPLEMENT AND CAN SEE ANY DOCTOR THAT TAKES MEDICARE..NO REFERRALS.  If you need to have a primary care doc, you have the Advantage policy.  And if you need to change  your primary care doc...CALL THE CUSTOMER SERVICE NUMBER ON THE BACK OF YOUR CARD AND YOU WILL FIND IT IS EASY TO DO. 

Conversationalist

Message 10 of 102

Your situation sounds very frustrating, and I do not know why you are  having such problems.   My sister (both in Canton and North Canton, Ohio) and I have both had AARP United Healthcare Supplemental Plan F for over 5 years and we are both very happy with the insurance program, the customer service, and our interactions.   I hope you get your issues resolved.  Good luck to you.