Free Caregiving Webinar: Managing Your Loved One’s Finances - Tuesday at 7p.m. ET  Register Now

Conversationalist

Re: Is AARP United Healthcare Medicare supplimental insurance as bad as the customer reviews say??

Message 41 of 62 (6,595 Views)

No, it is NOT one of the most expensive plans out there.  You have not shopped well.  I have.  It is not the cheapest but it is on the lower end of the plans in cost and every plan cheaper was from companies that had very high rate increases after the first 3 years or were financially unstable or had questionable ethics.  AARP is stable, predictable and by age 75 IS one of the cheapest. 

Conversationalist

Re: Is AARP United Healthcare Medicare supplimental insurance as bad as the customer reviews say??

Message 42 of 62 (6,262 Views)

NO...their Medicare Supplements are FANTASTIC.  Even docs comment on how great our insurance is.  It is the ADVANTAGE plans that have had problems...NOT the Supplements.  But even the Advantage plans are upgrading and more and more doctors and hospitals are now taking them again. 

Conversationalist

Message 43 of 62 (7,185 Views)

My mom had the same issue and brought it to my attention. After doing some research I found a good website that provided useful information and other options that would give her the same coverage and reduce the cost. I found out that Plan F is going away soon and that Plan G would be the best alternative... so keep that in mind as well. Here is some info I found on Plan G... 

https://www.medicarefaq.com/medicare-supplement/plan-g/

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 44 of 62 (12,761 Views)

AARP and UHC have an affiliation agreement.  No big secret there.

Same is true of their other affiliates.

As the Medicare link says additional benefits can also be added and these, if any, have to be weighed against a person's needs and cost.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 45 of 62 (12,764 Views)

Thanks Gail1.  Yes, I'm familiar with that.  North Carolina has all three different rated policies so you have to be careful you're comparing apples to apples.  My concern, however was that AARP endorses only one policy and it is one of the most expensive.  Given that all Plan F policies must provide identica coverage, I can't figure out why the AARP-endorsed policy is so expensive?

Unless.......................

Valued Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 46 of 62 (12,575 Views)

@sktn77a

A link for you 

How to compare Medigap policies from Medicare.gov

Federal and state laws govern Medigap policies.

If Plan F is available in your state, all Plan F's must cover the same Medicare benefits - shown in the Medicare.gov link.

So if you are only looking for these benefits, don't get confused by one insurer being more famous than another.

I always thought that state law regulates how Medigap policies are rated and thus all in your state would use the same rating method - community rated / age related, etc.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 47 of 62 (12,569 Views)
Without getting into the positive or negative reviews of the AARP/UHC medicare supplement plan F, it is interesting to note that this is one of the most expensive Plan F offerings out there. How come AARP, perhaps the largest organizations out there (excepting the various governments and government agencies), can't negotiate a better deal with UHC?

For example, including the somewhat odd decreasing "discount" applied over the first decade, and not accounting for any group rate increases over the next 25 years, the premiums alone would amount to over $60,000 during this time! Compare this to, say, the Old Surety Insurance Company's plan F which would cost approx $39,000 for the same coverage over the same time period. Note that this is an "issue age" policy which, unlike an "attained age" policy, is comparable to AARP/UHC's "no-age" policy.

I don't see much benefit to being a member of AARP and blindly purchasing their medigap policy because their stated mission is to look after seniors' best interests. Can someone perhaps help me understand why I should even bother with the AARP membership and benefits when one of their primary products/services appears to be one of the least competitive in the market?
Valued Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 48 of 62 (12,596 Views)

jm590797 wrote:

My wife and I have had the Plan F Supplemental coverage via AARP/UHC for two years. We are very happy with the plan.  We have no co-pays.  However, be advised that the plan cost has increased 7.5% per year since we signed on.  We started out at $265 a month and now we are at $306 a month.  I created a spreadsheet projecting a 7.5% cost increase over the next 20 years and there is definitely a point where the coverage will no longer be affordable and it looks for us like it will be when we are in our mid-70's.

Supplemental Medicare plans are governed by the federal government AND the state in which you live. The rating structure is based upon the way your state has decided to do it.  It could be age related, community based, etc.  So before you determine fault for rate increases, then you need to determine how your state has legislated for these plans to be structured.

Here are are some informational links -

https://www.medicare.gov/supplement-other-insurance/compare-medigap/compare-medigap.html

http://www.ehealthmedicare.com/medicare-supplement/issue-age-pricing/

Any other increase, as most other insurance plans, has to be approved by your insurance commissioner if it is over some stated threshold.

Plan F is one of the most expensive supplemental plans, if not the most expensive.  This is because it covers just about everything that Medicare does not pay with NO out of pocket on your part, in fact it even covers your deductible.  

This is type of plan may well go the way of the dinosaurs and not to far into the future because one of the ways to help control healthcare cost is to have the beneficiaries have at least some out of pocket.  The current Administration has already suggested this several times and it seems to be in the investigational works.

If you want to keep this type of coverage, you have to stay enrolled and pay your premiums.  For others just signing up, someday these type plans might not be available at all.

Info Seeker

Message 49 of 62 (11,033 Views)

My wife and I have had the Plan F Supplemental coverage via AARP/UHC for two years. We are very happy with the plan.  We have no co-pays.  However, be advised that the plan cost has increased 7.5% per year since we signed on.  We started out at $265 a month and now we are at $306 a month.  I created a spreadsheet projecting a 7.5% cost increase over the next 20 years and there is definitely a point where the coverage will no longer be affordable and it looks for us like it will be when we are in our mid-70's.

Gold Conversationalist

Message 50 of 62 (10,298 Views)

A couple of months ago, I had two issues to address--get a new AARP card mailed and a United Healthcare Part D Supplement ID. I went ahead and printed the online card while waiting, which had the same membership number printed on my AARP Chase Visa Rewards credit card, but when the mail arrived I had a new AARP membership number. I called United Healthcare and was informed that my old number was now my Part D Supplement insurance policy number, so I orderwd an ID card for that over the phone. Now I get loads of junk mail asking if I would like to try and qualify for a United Healthcare policy wveryday, but no insurance supplement card to go with the Medicare card I have had since August of 1989.