Can blue light from your phone cause vision problems? Find out and learn more about your vision in the AARP Eye Center.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Password Manager?

Message 21 of 71

I have used Roboform for 20+ years. I believe it is the best on the market. Most of my passwords involving money ar 13+ characters and I change them every two months. Roboform helps me to keep track of all of these, I have the deluxe version for $9.95 a year since I am online at least 6 hours a day, but the basic free version would be fine for a light user.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 71

LastPass -paid subscription on all device shared by my spouse so we will always know how to access all accounts.  Love it!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 71

I also like the password generator.  It maks life so much easer.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 71

LastPass for me too!  I work on many computers and also using Linux testing new distros so I can login from any of them and have all my signon and password at hand.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 71

Yes, lastpass.

1. It is supported on all of the devices I use

2. It supports access by an approved member in the event I die or otherwise incapacitated.

3. Its free!

4. Selection was based on a combination of talking with others using a password manager and rating/rankings of the various options based on capability, features, etc.

It has made my life much simpler and I have a greater confidence in my online security with every site having its own, unique, random and robust password.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 71

I have using true key for over 2 years.  I have re-install it sometimes when the browser gets a major update and when I refresh firefox.  I use firefox as my browser.  It takes less than 30 seconds to re-install. 

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 71

@s135195k, if you're still looking -- and to all who yet are, I would suggest that you take the time to read this article that is published by AARP in their online newsletter (Sept. 2018). Essentially, it's what you need to know about password managers. And, it might also shed a little light on both the importance of having one, as well as perhaps the ability to select one that you think may work for you and may address your concerns.

Password Managers: What You Need to Know

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 71

I’ve used the free version of Dashlane for several years.  It’s easy to use and if you enter basic info (name, address), the free version will populate on-line forms with the info.  Although I keep a record of all passwords, having to routinely remember just one password is very helpful.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 71

Yes, I use a password manager.  I tested both lastpass and 1Password back in 2013 and chose to go with 1password.  It has been very useful as I have over 100 logins and I have never used the same login for multiple websites.  

As a blind person using iOS, 1password works well for me and has been accessible using voiceover with minor difficulties occasionally.

I have either my apple product or my 1password choose strong passwords for me.  The minimum password length that I use is 18 characters.  And, to log into it, I use a very long password that is easy for me to remember.  But, how many people would be able ot guess a password that is over 20 characters long.

Additionally, I use 1password to store my passport data and my VISA data.  In the past, for photos of the passport in addition to having the normal data I have had to copy this in using my computer.  I do not know whether that can now be done simply on my phone or not as I have not needed to do that in several years.

It also does a better and more complete job of filling in credit card data than does teh built in capability in iOS.

Additionally, I have over 100 secure notes that provide me additional data such as history for various website information or other more personal data such as my data for security questions for my banks and other websites.

I also have my state ID in it as both a photo and teh number coded in.

It has the capability fo also allowing you to paste in the software keys for your various pieces of computer software.

Although I do not have it, it does allow me to have both a family information vault that is shared among family members and my personal vault, which is what I use all the time.

Regarding what the other person said about the possibility of them being hacked because the data is stored (by my choice so that I can use the information on my computer, my iPad and my iphone) in my Dropbox, that password is also a strong password and is stored in my 1password on my phone and iPad.  So, before they can access it to try to de-encrypt that data, they have to find a way to hack into my Dropbox account.  The data is not stored on 1password servers.  And, I think that the same is true for lastpass if I remember correctly, but I am not positive on how it is set up any more.

You do not need to have access to the internet to be able to use 1 password.  But, it does use the internet to synchronize the encrypted data from your phone, iPad, and computer.

One additional thing is that I should mention is that as a blind person, in addition to allowing me ot have over 100 passwords and the other things mentioned above is that as a blind person it makes it so much more accurate trying to get the login data put in for websites than when I try to type them in.  So, for me using 1password has been extremely beneficial.  And, at times while traveling has been very beneficial by having both my passport number and a photo of my passport accessible whether I am connected to the internet or not.

I hope this helps anybody who is wondering about the use of password managers.

Dexter

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 71

Good idea. I use the free version of Dashlane, but it sometimes seems to be erratic.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors