Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

Password Manager?

Do you use a password manager?  Do you have one you recommend?  Share it here and tell us why it's your choice.

AARPTeri
Regular Contributor

Check out this link for LastPass and scroll down to the security secition.  Looks strong enough for me. https://www.lastpass.com/how-lastpass-works

Regular Contributor

I don't know about other password managers, but Roboform is encrypted.  A master password (which should be easy to remember) is required to even access it.  I have found it secure, dependable and easy to use.

Spoiler

I use LastPass and have done so for years. I only have to remember three passwords, one for my phone, one for my laptop, and one for LastPass. I can launch webpages right from LastPass and have the userid and password auto fill. All of my passwords are unique and random, nothing that could be guessed, and I don't have to remember any of them. Other family members also use LastPass, and we can share passwords with each other.

Contributor

I would be lost without my password manager.  I use the one in Safari.  I also have my passwords on index cards and keep them updated with changes to passwords.  There are 59 cards.

Regular Contributor

I've used StickyPassword for some years, now, and find it a godsend.  Since one of the most egregious failures of password usage is using the same password for multiple accounts, SP generates a brand new password (according to user specs) for each account.  (You can also create your own password and SP will tell you its strength).  It can be set to automatically log one in to the designated website.  One master password, which only the user knows, accesses SP's encrypted database.  You can also sync with any other device.  

I was an early adopter of StickyPassword, and was gifted with a lifetime membership, so I don't know about costs.  I think you can use their freeware for a limited number of accounts.

Whatever program you opt for, for heaven's sake use one that will generate strong passwords for each account/website/login you have.  

Contributor

I use "LastPass".  I have the purchased the full subscription.  I have been very happy with the program's features.  I would recommend this program to anyone looking for a password manager program.

I have used Lastpass for several years.  Works well and I have had zero issues.  As stated the personal version is free.

Periodic Contributor

LastPass for more than 6 years. Love it. 

Contributor

another vote for lastpass. Used it for years, No hacks at all.

Periodic Contributor

Using KeePass for years.  It’s free, open source supports autofill, copy/paste and drag and drop.  Uses SHA-256 AES encryption.  Master password is stored in generated encrypted file and not on online servers.  Apps for both desktop and mobile devices.  I think the most operative word here is it’s free. 

Periodic Contributor

PasswordSafe, used it for years, free.

I have used Sticky Password for several years and am very happy with it.  I pay $30 a year and consider it worthwhile.  I keep dozens of high-security passwords in it.  A favorite feature is the password generator that creates complex, randomized passwords with my choice of character types including numbers, upper- and lower-case letters, numbers, and my choice of special characters (some sites don't allow certain special characters).  The PC and Android versions are user-friendly.  I am a dedicated fan of password managers and recommend them to everyone.

Kudos
Views
Contributor

I use to use dashlane, until they started getting overpriced. $19.95 per year, then $39.95 year and now $59.95 per year. It will probably keep going up each year as people become more dependent on it. People should be careful which plan they choose because of increasing fees.

Super Contributor

@Davin8, Dashlane has a free version that has everything the average person would want or could use. Why not return and opt for the free version?

Super Contributor

I also use the free version of Dashlane, but I use it on my phone so logging in from my phone is very convenient. If I need a password on my PC, I look it up on my phone. It works for me and it costs nothing at this point. Don't lose your "master" password or you will lose access to your list of passwords.

Super Contributor

Thank you for this helpful tip, Dirk!

Super Contributor

My apologies @whiteurst. You obviously know a lot about this topic. I posted here because you had mentioned Dashlane. I probably should have replied back to the original poster. At work (MS Teams) I was always posting to the wrong thread. I seem to be continuing that pattern in retirement. 🙂

Periodic Contributor

I have used TrueKey from McAfee and find that it works well across platforms (PC and Mac) and my iPhone. Synchs between all devices as long as you stay logged in. Allows for fingerprint login on my iPhone. It produces some wicked generated passwords...good thing it remembers them too. I don't know what the level of encryption is. I will be checking that out. Easy, intuitive, free. 

Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

roboform is easy to use and free.

Regular Contributor

I have used Roboform for years and I love it.

I paid for a subscription to Roboform Everywhere, which allows me to access my passwords from any computer, anywhere, and log in with my password without having to type it in, which means my passwords cannot be hacked in an unprotected hotspot.

Contributor

I have been using “mSecure” for a number of years; the data is accessible from all my Apple devises. I like the format and security of the app. They keep it up to date as Apple changes its technology. Never had a problem with the app or support. It has a PC version as well. 

Periodic Contributor

I use B-Folders (www.jointlogic.com/b-folders) because (1) it uses AES 256 encryption and (2) it does not save your passwords on their servers. You can sync your passwords easily with other devices (phone, laptop, tablet) via a peer-to-peer connection on your own home network. It's also free (for the mobile version) unless you want the fingerprint login option, which is well worth the $6.99 price tag IMO.

I checked out Dashlane and Keeper and they had some user features, too, but on B-Folders synched across all my devices without having to save my passwords on their servers. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@AARPTeri wrote:

Do you use a password manager?  Do you have one you recommend?  Share it here and tell us why it's your choice.

LAST PASS.  Been using it for years, free personal edition.  It has served my needs for these years and has served me well without problems.

I'm cautious about any web-based service that's free.  Concerns include them marketing my data to advertisers.  The article didn't mention privacy policies of the password managers.

Periodic Contributor

I've used LastPass for years and have been very pleased with it. 

Regular Contributor

I agree.  As far as worrying about it being free, you can pay LastPass for a pro version with extra features.  It still uses the same security as the free versions but they have family or business enhancement. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist

I use SafeInCloud for several years. All you have to remember is one code to access your data, which is store in the cloud with 256-bit advanced encrption standard. You can specify how many attempts you allow to unlock the software before that account is permanently locked for good for that device. The software developer has no backdoor to recover your code and data. The window, Mac desktop versions are free. The mobile versions for Android and IOS are reasonably priced. You can access your account data from any one of your devices running SafeInCloud. There is a password generator. The software also give you an indication of the strength of your password in term of estimation in time to crack it.

Periodic Contributor

I use 1Password. The product has been consistently rated as a top performer for many years. Their website provides a good overview of features, etc. After using their Mac desktop product for several years, I switched to their subscription (cloud-based) service. I use the product on all of my Apple devices - iMac, iPad, iPod.

- Mark
Regular Social Butterfly

1Password

I like the ability to change a password on my iMac and, within minutes, my iPhone and my MacBook know the new password.

~~~
Start every day with a smile and get it over with.
Periodic Contributor

I also use 1Password. I've been using it for many years across platforms. I currently have about 1500 items in it. Here are my pros and cons:

Pros:

Cloud based with encryption - Probably as good as you will get aside from keeping data locally.

Web based interface - Useful if you are on someone else's device or shared computer.

Multi-client - Native client for Mac, Win, IOS, Android and of course a web browser. Opens with fingerprint on IOS.

Good track record of data availability - Cannot recall experiencing any service outage.

Personal and family versions - You can selectively share certain passwords with others.

Many different item types - login, software license, bank account, email, document (currently 18 different)

Password generator easy to use and it remembers your old passwords automatically when you update

Free trial period

Cons:

Revenue model has moved from 'perpetual with annual support fee' to a 'monthly or yearly subscription' ($36 - $60/yr). So now it represents an ongoing monthly expense for me.

Takes a bit of effort to set it up including logging in with a long key that they initially give you along with your master password on each device you own. Adding additional users is also a bit tedious.

Has ability to capture passwords you use on web but that sometimes can create multiple entries for same website.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP