AARP and the photographers of Magnum Photos look at older people living in new ways around the world in A New Age.

Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Password Manager?

Message 31 of 71

@s135195k, I am reasonably sure that AARP wouldn't want to bear such a responsibility. After all, if they recommend it, they would also set themselves up to be blamed if that person's computer was hacked. It's best to simply take the free recommendations that have come in this forum. As I said, Dashlane is free; I've used it for years. Others have recommended a free version of LastPass. At any rate, there may be none that is 100% foolproof, but if it's worked for me fo r10 years, that "licenses" me to recommend it, but like me -- and everyone else, we're all taking a chance. I don't have my bank account password in Dashlane; I keep that somewhere else in a physical location, not somewhere in cyberspace. We're still expected to use wisdom. Check them out. Make an informed decision:

https://www.dashlane.com/

https://keepass.com/

https://www.lastpass.com/

https://www.roboform.com/

https://www.truekey.com/

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 71

@Davin8, Dashlane has a free version that has everything the average person would want or could use. Why not return and opt for the free version?

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 71

I have use lastpass for free for several years.  Most of the security guys say it is the best.  They also have a paid verson (I don't know how much it cost) with more options but the free verson works fine for me.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 71
I am looking for a password manager but am confused with so many providers and options.
Couldn't AARP pick a good one and offer its members a reduced-rate package?
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 71
I have used Password Safe for years and found it capable of generating 12 letters numbers and characters with no problem. I have one long password to enter the program. I am not sure how it ranks with other programs.
Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 71

Isn't Dashlane costing $40 to $60 a year? That is a lot when there are no cost and vey low cost alternatives. Switching may not be as bad as it sounded. Other software may have import option to take Dashlane data and make the conversion. You may use the free trial and see if the conversion works and how you like the other software. I just look at the one I use, SafeInCloud, it has the option to import Dashlane data.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 71

Yes - Dashlane

I pay for it every 3 years - it's the only one I have ever used - to switch to something else would be a HUGE undertaking I think? About 200 passwords ...

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 71

another vote for lastpass. Used it for years, No hacks at all.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 71

Years ago, I started using Dashlane, which has been rated on the Web as the world's #1 password manager. I like it for several reasons: (1) they offer a free version (which have proven to be sufficient for my use; (2) I don't have to remember my password; Dashlane logs in for me once it recognizes the website I'm logging onto; (3) if I change my password, Dashlane prompts me to ask if I want it to record the new password; (4) If for any reason I need to know -- or to see --  my password, I can easily navigate to it from the computer where Dashlane has been installed; and (5) if keylogging software has been nefariously installed on a computer, you're safe because you never have to type your password. It has safely been stored in Dashlane and, again, Dashlane will log you in.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 71

I also use 1Password. I've been using it for many years across platforms. I currently have about 1500 items in it. Here are my pros and cons:

Pros:

Cloud based with encryption - Probably as good as you will get aside from keeping data locally.

Web based interface - Useful if you are on someone else's device or shared computer.

Multi-client - Native client for Mac, Win, IOS, Android and of course a web browser. Opens with fingerprint on IOS.

Good track record of data availability - Cannot recall experiencing any service outage.

Personal and family versions - You can selectively share certain passwords with others.

Many different item types - login, software license, bank account, email, document (currently 18 different)

Password generator easy to use and it remembers your old passwords automatically when you update

Free trial period

Cons:

Revenue model has moved from 'perpetual with annual support fee' to a 'monthly or yearly subscription' ($36 - $60/yr). So now it represents an ongoing monthly expense for me.

Takes a bit of effort to set it up including logging in with a long key that they initially give you along with your master password on each device you own. Adding additional users is also a bit tedious.

Has ability to capture passwords you use on web but that sometimes can create multiple entries for same website.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors