Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

Your Younger Brain and Music

gandson listening to music.jpgIn The Powerful Link Between Music and Memories, cognitive neuroscientist Daniel Levitin shares that our musical tastes form early, including a crucial period from around the age of 11 to 14. During that time, our musical tastes really take form and we hold onto those for the rest of our lives.

Music has always been a big part of my life, and it was especially important during my brooding teen years. Pop was a genre I embraced, and it's still one I adore today. One pop album I spent a lot of time with, learning the words and singing to myself in the mirror, was Michelle Branch's Hotel Paper, especially the song "Breathe." I recently relistened to the album and was transported back to my angsty, younger self.

What album or song did you love when you were younger?

Periodic Contributor

"My Wild Irish Rose"

Conversationalist

Music was always a part of our upbringing.  I had my own "golden" records that played The Sleeping Beauty ballet for kids.  My Mom must have have had the patience of a saint as she had to hear How Much is that Doggy in the Window by Patti Page over and over.  I had my own record player and played Fats Domino,Little Richard, Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry.  My Dad was a big Band fan, especially Artie Shaw and every Sunday was Classical music.  To this day, I am a fan of man genres and still love music. My Dad had Alzheimers and music was an outlet that still gave him joy.

Regular Contributor

Music still touches the deepest part of the brain when you see people light up when they hear the familiar songs โค๏ธ

Contributor

Younger-younger? Like, really young? I loved anything by Patti Page. Later I grew to love anything by Nat King Cole, then spent hours listening to albums by The Lettermen. [Yes, I'm that old. This is AARP, right?] I tolerated anything I could dance to in the '60s. I'd be really happy to forget all pop music from the '70s and '80s. But by that time I no longer qualified as 'younger.'

Susan
Conversationalist

You have great taste because it is pretty similar to mine!

Periodic Contributor

My music years were 1966-1969. My favorite bands were โ€œPaul Revere and the Raiders, The Dave Clark 5, Hermanโ€™s Hermits, and of course the Beatles. I also was moving into the Heavy Metal bands โ€œ Uriah Heep, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath โ€œ  I have several favorite songs over the years, three stand out. 1. Yesterday by the Beatles sung by Paul McCartney, whom I still follow to this day. 2. Demons and Wizards by Uriah Heep,  and #3 is Daniel by Elton John. I continue to Love all music. 99% is Christian, but I like alternative rock music too, like the Killers, and Billie Eilish. Then there is Adele, and Ed Sheeran. I guess I just love Music๐ŸŽถ

Community Manager
Community Manager

I read a really good interview with Keith Moon a long time ago, and I'll never forget how he was quoted saying, "'Erman's 'Ermits."

Hey, I just ran across your post while searching for that same interview. It was hilarious! There was also a story about Moon being late for rehearsal, so he arrived completely bandaged up and told everyone heโ€™d been hit by a bus. Iโ€™m not sure if he told the story in the same interview, or if Iโ€™d read it elsewhere. 

Periodic Contributor

My years were 1974-1977, so I liked anything danceable. I hated heavy metal; I still do. My favorite singers were disco divas Diana Ross and Donna Summer. My favorite groups were Blondie, Foreigner, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, The Bee Gees, and Chrissy Hynde and the Pretenders. Disco was my favorite sound back then. 

Regular Contributor

I liked heavy metal the few times I saw it live didnโ€™t โ€˜buy the albumโ€™ lol. My dad was a drummer (side job) what they called โ€˜dance musicโ€™ back in the day so I liked to watch a heavy metal drummer. Why I have tinnitus now in my late 60s wasnt from loud music tho ?!?!

Regular Contributor

@1supreme.  Iโ€™m with  with you on every one you named!  Great list ! thank you !

Community Manager
Community Manager

I love disco! I listened to a lot of Donna Summer when I was in high school ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿ•บ

Bronze Conversationalist

I will say the Ventures, an instrumental rock band, that had a huge hit with the song Walk Don't Run in 1960. They rerecorded the song in 1964 and had a second success. As I recall, there album, Ventures 64, which I still have, was probably bought by most newly inspired electric guitar players. I still occasionally hook up with another guitar playing friend; and, we always play, guess what, Walk Don't Run. 

Contributor

As another guitarist, Iโ€™m happy to tell you I love playing Walk Donโ€™t Run and Wipe Out! But for my era of music, my favorite is Hysteria by Def Leppard. 

Contributor

I love playing that song! It's one of the first oldies I learned on guitar, and Wipe Out!

Bronze Conversationalist

@MistyK475166 Was your intro to Walk Don't Run A,G.F E or Am, G, F, E? I play it Am, G, F, E.

Bronze Conversationalist

@MistyK475166 The Ventures also played/covered  Pipeline which was another "surf" song that was along the same theme as Wipe Out. If you recall the song, Pipeline, the intro was a bass guitar. Sad news, I just read that the last founder of the Ventures, Don Wilson, passed on January 22, 2022 at age 88. What a life!

Social Butterfly

@MistyK475166 

Wow

Wipeout .... that was huge in my day... guys used give us 'red bellies' playing it on our stomachs... wow

Take care

Ginger  :  )

Bronze Conversationalist

@gm5271 And I was always looking for someone with drums. Little did I know.

Contributor

I was a baton twirler and we twirled to Walk Donโ€™t Run in competition. 

Bronze Conversationalist

@PauladR727803 You must have been in a forward thinking group. Great song to twirl to.

Periodic Contributor

I remember always listening to Leroy Anderson's recording of "Blue Tango" on my aunt and uncle's fancy record player/radio console in the 1950s. Then Dean Martin's "Memories are made of This." I was fascinated by the sounds I heard. I grew up to be a musician/singer/pianist/vocal music teacher. 

Community Manager
Community Manager

You all are giving me great music suggestions to check out - there's so much to discover!

Periodic Contributor

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Elton John

Contributor

Having been raised in the church, I find myself singing "How Great Thou Art" while driving to work, and I'm always amazed that I know every single word.  Same for all of those amazing 50's songs that I played over and over on the 45!!

Social Butterfly

Bill Haley and the Comets, "Rock Around the Clock"!

Contributor

I discovered my Dad's Beatles albums when I was in 8th grade (this was back in 1980). I have enjoyed listening to other albums and bands over the years but my deepest passion for music will always be The Beatles. They remind me of the heady days of my teenage years. Their songs never grow old. The Beatles are that one band that found a way to be timeless. 

Periodic Contributor

The Beatles were Fab4ulous, do watch the Get Back series on Disney +. So good. Makes you understand the talent of all 4 Beatles, and the actual love and respect that they had for each other. They actually enjoyed making their music and writing their music together. Something not brought out during their years in the press. I got to see Paul McCartney in concert and he told a lot of truths about the Beatles and their music, but this live (at the time) documentary , made it real. Enjoy another side of the Beatles, see Get Back. No I donโ€™t get paid to endorse Get Back, I am just a fan showing another fan a new chance to get back and immerse yourself in this masterpiece of musicality wonder, and because Paul is sooo cute.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Watch the "Get Back" documentary if you haven't yet!

Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

It was riveting and amazing. To see them play together. Keep your eye open for the IMAX movie.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP