Community Manager
Community Manager

Your Younger Brain and Music

gandson listening to music.jpgIn The Powerful Link Between Music and Memories, cognitive neuroscientist Daniel Levitin shares that our musical tastes form early, including a crucial period from around the age of 11 to 14. During that time, our musical tastes really take form and we hold onto those for the rest of our lives.

Music has always been a big part of my life, and it was especially important during my brooding teen years. Pop was a genre I embraced, and it's still one I adore today. One pop album I spent a lot of time with, learning the words and singing to myself in the mirror, was Michelle Branch's Hotel Paper, especially the song "Breathe." I recently relistened to the album and was transported back to my angsty, younger self.

What album or song did you love when you were younger?

Periodic Contributor

I liked Broadway musical soundtracks at that age and I still do. I was so happy the Christmas that I received The Sound of Music, Fiddler on the Roof, and Annie albums.

Trusted Contributor

I kind of like those musicals but not crazy about them, or it's just not my favorite.   Last night I saw A Chorus Line and I really liked it.   I wasn't sure if I would like it, but I did.   It's hard to believe last night I saw that movie for the first time and it was done in 1985. 

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

I love Broadway soundtracks as well! The Sound of Music is my dad's favorite movie and the music always brings back lots of good memories 💜

Periodic Contributor

I was 11-14 from 1963-1966; therefore any Beatles album that came out during those years, or shortly before. Perhaps "Hard Days Night" was my favorite album; I just looked at the 13 songs on the album to see if I could pick a favorite and it is impossible; 10-11 home runs out of the 13! 

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Community Manager

I recently watched the "Get Back" documentary and it was really fascinating to see their creative process in the studio!

Trusted Contributor

I wish that the Let It Be movie would be released on DVD.   I haven't seen the Get Back documentary, but I get the feeling that the Let It Be movie is more authentic or more telling.   I heard that it's not being released because both Olivia Harrison & Yoko Ono own the rights of the movie.   They don't want it released because it painted a bad picture of the Beatles.   At the time it was showing in the theaters I recalled that those who saw it were not crazy about it.   But I think they may feel differently about it now.  

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

The Get Back documentary is raw, and unfiltered. It is live continuous tape of days and days of the Beatles collaborating and brain storming, to put together a concert with new music. They get mad with other, they curse, they smoke and drink, a lot, but most of all they laugh and play and love the company of each other, and their families are included. This doesn’t get any more genuine and unscripted, Get Back makes you feel, like you are a fly on the wall of History.

Social Butterfly

My musical tastes were probably shaped during those ages of 11 to 14. I was 13 years old when Dylan recorded “Blowin In The Wind” and the Beatles first appeared on the Ed Sullivan show. And I’ve been a huge fan of classic rock all my life.

If I had to pick just one song to listen to the rest of my life, I couldn’t do it. I do appreciate all music across the spectrum. Whether playing or listening music is that elixir that improves my mood and makes me happier. But I do enjoy those blues too.

To paraphrase, someone once said the words used in songs make you think but the music makes you feel those thoughts. I agree.

Community Manager
Community Manager

I also couldn't pick a single song to listen to for the rest of my life. That would make things quite dull! I've always loved to sing and learn the lyrics, so I can listen to the same song over and over in order to learn the words...but I always have to move on after a bit!

Music definitely is a conduit for my emotions. When I don't yet know how to verbalize what I'm feeling, music helps me say it.

Hot Rocks, 12 x 5 by The Rolling Stones

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

"I downloaded AARP Perks to assist in staying connected and never missing out on a discount!" -LeeshaD341679

AARP Perks

More From AARP