Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Where do you want to live when you retire?

Periodic Contributor

Where do you want to live when you retire?

Colorful_garden_1.jpg

It is reported about 10,000 baby boomers retire daily.

Some of them want stay home where they are.

Some want to move to other place to enjoy their retirement.

Do you want retire and stay where you are?

Or do you want move to a community where you can make friends and share commen interests?

Carin
Anonymous
Not applicable

(1 comment) Hi @OscarE1968 , hope all is well and you are getting some rest. Always awesome chatting with you! Any "updates" to share with us? ๐Ÿค” Thanks, Nicole ๐Ÿ™ƒ

Social Butterfly

Hi @Anonymous ,

No updates still stuck in Arizona lol. Doing good thank you for asking. Hope all is well with you and you're having a wonderful start to the new year!

0 Kudos

Why do you want to leave Arizona? I mean, other than the fact that it's so hot and water is going to be drying up.  I love visiting there but it seems unsustainable ( and I'm saying that at age 66!)

Regular Contributor

Just remember, today we have the COVD virus. yes we have the vaccine, but what about next year, and the next and the next, God willing. Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is not promised, so all we REALLY REALLY have is NOW. Im not saying throw away all of your earthly possessions and go sit on a hill, waiting for death, no. Just be mindful of the times and the seasons. How much time do we REALLY have?

Wendell Bowen
Regular Contributor

i dont even want to wait for retirement; i want it today while im living. Life is far more uncertain these days than ever before, so whatever you want out of life, go for it NOW, TODAY!! Don't Wait and dont let ANYBODY talk you out of it either.

Wendell Bowen
Kudos
Views
Contributor

tx or tn

Contributor

Orlando, Florida

Contributor

Any Blue Zone since Iโ€™m living on a boat.

Iโ€™m already retired, me and my wife live in Charlotte NC. We own our own house. 

Contributor

Hi, DonaldR789130 & Wife.

My name is Kathy, I'm 69 years old, and for whatever reason I've always said that I was going to retire in Charlotte. I've never been there, I don't know anyone there, and I no longer have family or professional reasons to stay in Massachusetts. But I do have reasons to leave MA in particular and the Northeast in general; I can no longer afford the upkeep of an old 1,500 square foot house on my own or afford to live in the Northeast on my Social Security and medical bills.

I now have the opportunity to relocate to Charlotte I've been doing a lot of research about NC, SC, and other states suggested to me such as Florida, Texas, and the Midwest, but NC still sounds like what I'd like to live out the remainder of my years. I don't have funds available to travel to areas to help me with my decision but I'm relying on my research and input from other people who I've found who have either grown up in SC or know others who live there. The one negative that everyone mentions is the hot, humid summers. But, especially to a New Englander, there are the milder winters that are appealing.

I'm wondering if you'd be willing to give me some insight into places to relocate to. I have some places that seem to have what I'm looking for; I've decided I'd rather live in an apartment, possibly in an active senior community. Some towns I'm interested in are Cary, Raleigh/Durham, Chapel Hill, and of course Charlotte. Can you give me any insight in any of these areas? I'd appreciate your input, either negative or positive, to help me decide.  

Thanks!

Periodic Contributor

I lived in the Raleigh area for a year full time and a few years part time and it was the most boring place I ever lived, and I have lived all over the country. Friends would visit and there was nothing for them to do that you can't find anywhere. In Cary, there are barely any hotels, it is so uninteresting. Everything is new and bland. As a New Englander, I found summers miserable and never went outside from May to October except to get to my car. It is also not cheap; I had trouble qualifying for rentals and I could not afford to buy in a decent area (I also did not want an HOA, which is virtually impossible to find), so I moved away, to a place within walking distance of the ocean. I'll admit I am spoiled by having mostly lived in popular tourist destinations, like Maine, DC and Williamsburg, which are much more full of events and attractions, not to mention scenery and history. I know lots of people like it in the Triangle area, but I really don't know why. Many of my contemporaries- older adults- have kids and grandkids there because of the specific job market, and moved there to be near them. I am 3 hours from mine now but live in such a cool place, they come here all the time, so I see them as much as I should! This is all just my opinion of course!

Kudos
Views
Contributor

North Carolina is a beautiful state - temperature to my mind is just perfect... it's green year round, and it can get cold in the winter, but only for a little while and hot in the summer, for a little while... but I always thought of it as having extended springs and summers.  We lived in Charlotte for 12 years (we live in CA now, and I'm really nostalgic about my time in NC), and my son went to NC State in Raleigh for 4+ years, and we have visited Chapel Hill.   There are absolutely beautiful places in each area. In Charlotte it would snow about once every 5 years, Raleigh I think was a little bit colder and got a tiny bit more snow than Charlotte. These areas continue to grow at a rapid pace.  Charlotte being more central has easy access to the Appalachian mountains, Atlanta, WV - they have things like the National White Water center, many greenway trails and parks, but is located in a relatively flat area.  Raleigh and Chapel hill seemed to be a lot more mountainy and foresty. Chapel Hill struck me as very charming, particularly in the university area - lots of beautiful buildings and well manicured lawns.

If you want to consider Charlotte and live in an apartment, there are probably 2 areas to consider  - 1) down town Charlotte - they've done a beautiful job of developing it, there are little parks, a baseball stadium, several museums, and lots of restaurants 2) Cornelius - this is out by Lake Norman, and they have some retirement type communities near the lake.   Raleigh and Chapel Hill I think are a bit more spread out, so you'd have to look to someone else to provide insights.    Hope that helps.

Contributor

Texas

Kudos
Views
Contributor

By a twist of fate my wife and I will end up retiring in Tucson, Arizonian and very happy about that. We had started screening potential places (both US and abroad) about 6 years ago. We would take a trip out to the prospective location for a weeksโ€™ worth of quick wandering. Texas and North Carolina were top of the list for local, Belize for abroad. Then a job offer from a Tucson based company dragged us out. Very pleased. We had been tracking Tucson but wasnโ€™t at the top. It fits a lot of our needs; retirement friendly (moderate taxes, no taxes on SS), good culture, excellent health services, and a very outdoor centric environment. Dessert living has its adjustments, however high-altitude mountains nearby provide get away. So very happy here, I also have the benefit of long-time part-time work which I enjoy.SunriseSunrise

Periodic Contributor

We love visiting  Puerto Rico Itโ€™s a beautiful island. The food the beaches the people but not sure how affordable it will be. 

Contributor

Germany.

Gold Conversationalist

Retired 2 years ago. Now contemplating more seriously a move from Sarasota, Florida, where I was job-transferred to in 2009, to my wife's home of Canada. Either Alberta or British Columbia.

Neither of us care for the demographics here. This is definitely a seniors' area. Predominately white, while we are a mixed couple of sorts (I have often felt concern for my wife). I enjoy mixing with people of all stripes.

The warm weather is nice but then gets to be too hot. We like hiking in various places around here but it is too hot for that for 8 months of the year. I also miss the change in seasons. Neither of us have family within 1,000 miles of here.

The general political and economic conditions here in Florida and in the US are worrisome as well. 

I figure I don't have too many more good years remaining and I'd like to be making better use of them (whatever that means, ha).

Periodic Contributor

Hi FredSmif,

My wife and I retired to Vancouver, British Columbia a few years ago.  It is a bit expensive in the city, but less so if you head outside a bit.  The USD/CAD exchange rate definitely works in your favour to stretch your pension, social security, etc.  

There are seasons, and this time of year (April - October) are expecially beautiful.  The winters can be rainy on the coast.  

Vancouver is one of the most diverse cities in the world, even more so than San Francisco, who likes to boast about their diversity.  

And if Vancouver is not to your liking, there is great skiing to the east (Whistler), and lots of nice little towns and islands all around. 

Russ

Contributor

Broward County Florida 

Contributor

I want to live in Ellenwood, GA when I retire

Contributor

@dreamhomenj wrote:

Colorful_garden_1.jpg

It is reported about 10,000 baby boomers retire daily.

Some of them want stay home where they are.

Some want to move to other place to enjoy their retirement.

Do you want retire and stay where you are?

Or do you want move to a community where you can make friends and share commen interests?

Florida

Contributor

Contributor

I want to summer in Newland NC and winter in Melbourne, FL .

Texas Hill Country

Contributor

I want to live in either Florida or the Bahamas 

Contributor

Where in the Bahamas?  

Contributor

I've been moving approximately every 10 years of my life and have lived in New York, North Carolina and Florida and have enjoyed each state. My retirement search has been closing in on North Carolina for its mild winters, easy travel to the mountains and beaches, along with its the low cost of living. 

Jeff Nicklaw
Contributor

Hi Jeff, how are you doing
Contributor

Beautiful Palisade, CO.  Out of Denver and up to the quiet.

Contributor

We're leaving Phoenix due to population explosion and moving outside of Prescott.  We bought 16 acres a few years ago and are having a home built next Spring.  We plan on reducing overhead as much as possible with solar/generator power and digging a well.  Selling the house in Phoenix should give us enough to pay for the house with a small mortgage for tax purposes.  It's a major paradigm shift for us as we are both city people but we'll adjust.  I can't wait to garden, plant fruit trees, and have lots of animals. 

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP