From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Haves and Have-Nots-Baby Boomers who never had a Job or a Good Job

Message 1 of 106

Vacation 2000 Glacier-15-007.jpgThere is a crew who had good jobs, made decent money, were able to save little to nothing, or had crap happen, and wound up with nothing or less at retirement.

And yes, there are also a lot fo people who blew their money on good times and wound up in the same position. 

That's part of why I don't ask how or why a person doesn't have. 

It's not how you got here, it's that you did.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 106

The department itself is the best resource.  It's all on line.  You can also go to your local Social Security Office.

It works.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Re: Haves and Have-Nots

Message 3 of 106

This came out on CNN.  Boy, did they miss the ball.  Looks like they had help from JP Morgan.Smiley Wink

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/28/investing/david-kelly-jpmorgan-markets-now-preview/index.html

Kelly said that the combination of retiring boomers and a shortage of working-age Americans creates a problem that "is particularly awkward for the economy." He added that this trend should "persist throughout the 2020s."

New Mexico 98-14.jpgA lot of Baby Boomers either can't afford to, don't want to, or don't have any reason to "retire".   The term "retirement" is being redefined daily by who else but, Baby Boomers".

We are looking for, as well as needing, additional sources of income.

We are experienced, knowlegable, available, savvy, and willing.  There is no shortage of working-age Americans.

We are in better health than previous generations, many of us still Rockin N Rollin.

We are a strong resource struggling to be tapped.  Common sense and arithmetic says this "struggle" need not exist!

Systematic age descrimination has to end!  Wake up!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 106

Thanks for your comment and any information you can share with me would be most appreciated.  My name is Gwenell and have been blessed to have worked 35 years.  I recently had a health issue with my Heart, however, I have not worked for the past ten years and Social Security awarded me SSI two months ago -- go figure.  Can you point me in the direction to get my retirement disability?  I'm 59 and this is all new to me.  I love sharing information on any level; I'm a former Executive Assistant to the President of Bank of America.  May God Bless you and your family.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 106

Thank you.

20170803_085745a.jpgDowntown Small Town America

I'm one of a lot of baby boomers having to look back at what we did actually do.  Some of us are finding things about even the crappiest jobs we ever had, that we can now make some extra with.  Yeah.  It ain't easy but it is possible. 

Even if you never formally held "jobs", look back.  There are things that wouldn't and didn't, make us a dime then, that fuel ideas today, especially with the internet.  We weren't actually doing "nothing" when we weren't doing anything.

Don't forget.  Times have changed.  Baby Boomers Rule!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 106

I realize this post has been up since 2014, but while reviewing a lot of post about retirement and saving and the best age and social security, I did not see a lot about this subject and "what to do if you were not able to save for retirement or you never had a job paying enough to get good retirement benefits once you make the decision".

Hey, its great to have had a great job with great benefits and pension plans and savings and 401K and other things that a lot of us were blessed enough to get, but lets not get so high and mighty that we forget that there really are baby boomers out there who just were never able to catch a break in life and don't fit all neat in any of these catagories on AARP community for retirement. 

The good news is, before I actually read this post, I started researching what answer would I give to someone who asked me "what do I do if I never saved for retirement or I never had a job" and althought I just started checking, I will make it my business to post everything I find out. Stand by all you baby boomers living below the poverty level.....help is on the way.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 106

For anyone seeking side income in retirement, my eyes have been opened to so many ways to do that.  It is really limited only by your imagination and your interests. I saw some very good posts about this and the best one I recall is here http://snip.ly/0ljz4.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 106

Thank you for donating those computers to the community.  What a great idea, not everyone can afford to buy one.  I think you should turn those comments around to a positive thought.  Next time someone ask you what you did...ignore the negative responce and ack as if they meant what good thing you did for the community.  That way it might inspire someone else listening, to also do something for the community, with their skills, and projects. Good job!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 106

A while back I had the good fortune to come across a number of used computers - throw aways from a big company upgrade.  While loading them into my backyard shed the idea popped up that these might help some people.  So, instead of selling all of them, I decided it was worth more to do some community service. 

20150612_164748.jpg

After cleaning and reconfiguring a dozen or so of the computers, I loaded them with kid's software - learning stuff.  I found as many single moms as was immediately available in the neighborhood and gave each, one of the computers.  These were mostly Macintosh due to their having better kids software at the time.  Next I went to the community center that served my address and got the administration's permission to finish building their lab.  There were a couple of Windows machines already so these were incorporated into what wound up as a 20 machine lab with server, network, with both Mac and Windows platforms.

In appreciation of the actual work and time involved, the community center was very generous with the amount of the service award.  Time is logged as hours served plus computers.

Once done, when the subject of the lab project would come up, a lot, if not most, people ask me what I had "done" to "get" community service.  Community service is a privilege, not a penalty.  The fact that it is used as "punishment" in the judicial system has partially overridden this.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 106

EDChou wrote:

Here's a couple of tips for folks who have fixer-uppers:

Home Depot and Lowes both offer Do It Yourself books that are quite helpful. ......Have you looked under your carpet to see just what kind of flooring is there?  Many houses built before 1950 have hardwood.  Lots nicer than carpet.  Takes some work......Minimum drywall is not hard to learn and can be quite a valuable tool.....".

Agreeing.  I also use YouTube to research everything I need to do to work on house or yard equipment. There are some really good videos out there showing step-by-step 'how to's".

We have a 1950's house. In our case, the hardwood floors were in too bad a shape to restore, but yes, it's very possible to have a nice floor under layers of carpet.  Also agree with drywall --- you need help with it unless you're physically very strong, but it's not difficult.

DW and I also have done a lot of ceramic tile, which I really like. Again, not difficult but very time consuming.  I am a big believer in people learning to do some things themselves to mitigate expense. Like everything else, YOU have to get involved, learn, do.................

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera