Tell Congress to stop Rx greed and cut prices now! Here’s how. 

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Haves and Have-Nots

Message 51 of 106

My husband and I were prepared quite well for retirement at age 70....then I had two massive heart attacks and our insurance capped on the first one.  After paying off the bills left by the crappy insurance (which we thought covered all my expenses) I had the second attack.  After a week in critical care the bills were so huge our ONLY recourse was to completely deplete all IRA's, savings accounts and sold the house. We moved to a state where the COL was reduced, bought a "fixer-upper" and the husband found a job. Unfortunately his salary is NOT as nice as it was prior to our move which I suppose goes right along with the reduced cost of living.  I still have over 500K in hospital bills and am no longer capable of working. So for me it is social security's measly check to try to suppliment my husbands reduced income. I've read some of the comments that seem to blame the working poor for the situation they are in, and it disturbs me.  

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

REPLY TO 78736061 Haves and Have-Nots

Message 52 of 106

Dear 78736061,

The employment process is unfriendly to those who go thru the process legally.  Employers use any excuse not to hire someone...age, race, religion, etc.  They claim they are non-discriminatory, but we all know that's not true.

true.jpg

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 53 of 106

@retiredtraveler wrote:

"...   Plus, many believe other countries have problems with their health systems. Long waits for various medical procedures and such. "

There are SOMETIMES waits for specialized or expensive procedures, yes. But not always. And there is also the offset that almost all countries with socialized medicine have better mortality and cheaper preventive care than the US. The US ranks very poorly in return for each dollar spent.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 54 of 106
With the Electoral College in place there can be no democracy. Scan4732p-200x300 Participate in the process - This is very important.  One is disenfranchised automatically in nonparticipation. - Do your homework, determine the record of anyone claiming to represent you and weigh that on its own merit.  Elect representives who actually represent your interests, even when in conflict with big business and the rich.

Representatives must be drafted/nominated from the people, and by the people, they represent, in order to actually represent the people.  Anything less is politics. 

Elect statesmen, not politicians.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 55 of 106

It is perfectly legal to ask how old one is.  Be proud of your age and experience!

"Most" employers do not do credit checks, plain and simple.  Many who deal in finance and insurance do.

Having a handicapped person in your family is not on most applications.  This is voluntary information on most, if at all.

Nuff sed.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 56 of 106

There are two things that you left out of your post.

The first is that it is illegal to ask how old you are, but every application asks what your birth date is. If you don't fill out the application COMPLETELY employers won't hire you. Most of the time they won't even look at your application. That is there way of getting around asking you how old you are.

The second is most all employers do a credit check berfore hiring your and if your credit rating isn't that good you aren't hired. I don't see what your credit rating has to do with the how well you will do your job. If anything it just exacerbates the problem of unemployment and keeps people who desperately a job from getting getting one.

Another thing that works against you is having a handicapped person in your family. I have been looked over more than once because of my handicapped daughter They just don't want to have to deal with it, so they just don't hire you. If they find out after they hire you they let you go. They can use any excuse they want and it is very hard to prove that, that is why you were let go. I have had to deal with this for 29 years. So there are some people that didn't have the opportunity to make a retirement plan.

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 57 of 106

Ed.  Terrific post.  It covers all of the bases.  Our political system is bought and paid for.  Our citizens are subjected to ideological propaganda and many are gullible enough to believe it.  Our system is in serious trouble. Americans are so disenchanted that they allow the 1% to rule.  They do not vote.  They do not participate in politics.  They do not contest propaganda.  They do not even follow the logical process of voting for their, and their families, own best interest.  My favorite saying is "God must love stupid people.  He made so many of them."

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 58 of 106

Recently Adam Johnson and Thomas Pitkelly published articles (separately)on the subject of democracy.  They can be seen in their entirety with links to other commentary at http://www.alternet.org/no-we-dont-get-democracy-we-deserve-why-toxic-idea-needs-die.

In them is stated:

• Any democracy coupled with unfettered capitalism will not, by definition, be a healthy one; the mechanisms of this democracy will invariably be corrupted by the forces of power and information asymmetry. At best it’s a cute-sounding tautology, at worst it perpetuates a cycle of victim-blaming that makes addressing the true problems with our political system that much more difficult.

• inequality renders the United States a democracy in name only

• When the voter is given two options that have been hand-picked by our corporate and political elites, the notion of representation is a cosmetic one.

• It not only ignores the corrupting influences of money, it also takes no account for the $11 billion a year public relations industry that sets out to manipulate people by design, almost always towards the interests of the elites.

• The rise of cigarettes, the demonization of unions, the Iraq War, the myth of tort abuse: all of these are products of billions in propaganda designed to manipulate the masses to sell an agenda that ultimately serves the interests of the 1%.

• The fact is the American electorate, no matter how tempting it becomes to call them stupid, credulous, and lazy, are largely victims. They’re victims of sophisticated mechanisms of propaganda that have been finely tuned for generations. They’re victims of an entrenched capitalist system that has hijacked our institutions of democracy from city halls to Capitol Hill. Both candidates for president, to even stand a chance, must spend roughly $2.5 billion each.

• This means, to even be considered to represent "the people,” they must have met the pre-approval of the super wealthy who comprise the vast majority of the donor base by dollar amount.

"This isn’t a government the people “deserve," any more than $7.25 an hour for a McDonald’s employee is the wage they deserve."

What's your take?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 59 of 106

Just day dreaming...in a perfect world a store like Whole Foods, or even including brand specific like Coach...they would have an additional tax for a total order over say $100-$200 that would be earmarked for an appropriate charity.

So you could load up your cart with your grain free, gluten free, holistic dog treats and that hand crafted hummus for twenty five bucks a pound oh and don't forget the organic pomegranate and locally sourced oatmeal cookies. But know you are also automatically kicking in $20 additionally towards hungry humans or needy companion animals. And you know some people would be fine with that. Unfortunately the most well to do would go ballistic.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 60 of 106
Please share this article.
Thank you.
Kudos