Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Haves and Have-Nots

Message 11 of 106

Here's a couple of tips for folks who have fixer-uppers:

Home Depot and Lowes both offer Do It Yourself books that are quite helpful.  I carry one with me.  There are general offerings that include a little about a lot of subjects and more specialized books on specific subjects.  Check them out.  I caught one on clearance for under $15.

Have you looked under your carpet to see just what kind of flooring is there?  Many houses built before 1950 have hardwood.  Lots nicer than carpet.  Takes some work.  Cost is for poly and sanding if needed and you might need to rent sander - $20 or so for a day.

Minimum drywall is not hard to learn and can be quite a valuable tool.  Again, it's in the aforementioned books along with much more.

This is not an ad for either of these companies but when there's a good product, HELP SOMEBODY.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 106
No problem here.
One of the purposes of this forum is to elicit non-judgmental help for those who don't have.
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 106

i was attempting a reply to gail, not you.  Did not mean to imply that is was personal on your part as all of your comments have been non-emotional and non-judgmental. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 106

"I fail to see that any of decisions were wrong as you seem to imply."

Please don't read more into my comments than is stated.  I have many times stated clearly and succinctly that how you got to where you are is  not the/an issue.  Please read back in this forum.

"You suggest that one should never turn in retirement funds"

Exactly where do I suggest this?

"you said "there is always medicaid" "

Again, where do I say this?

I have visited and seen a lot of Section 8 housing in various parts of the country and there has been improvements in quality throughout.  Slum lording is out!  There is such enforcement of the rules that the system actually works better.  Sure there are massive waiting lists, making the system useless to many, if not most, new applicants - This is a problem that needs to be addressed and fixed.

20150810_134153.jpg

Fixer-uppers are popular nowadays.  They are just what the name says.  I moved into one years ago where the fixing was in exchange for rent.  There was a nasty old carpet here also.  Removing it uncovered a nice hardwood floor.  Sanding and polying it added value to the house - One nice floor!  I removed the old damaged drywall, insulated, and rewired where needed.  It was a Win-Win for both me and the owner.

This forum is not about how you got to where you are, but about getting help back up once you have.  It's about those who have, actually helping those who don't - Without judgements.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 106

I had blue cross blue sheild of texas, silver plan ppo.

When the hospital started to destroy our credit ratings we had no choice but to pay them off, thus turning in first our retirement plans and savings, then ultimately, without my salary the mortgage became too much. we were unable to refinance through any program so we sold the house, thus able to relocate and pay off the bills.

I fail to see that any of decisions were wrong as you seem to imply.

We PAY our bills, if we can't then we do not incur them if we have a choice in the matter. We took responsibility for ourselves instead of requesting some iffy goivernment assistance. 

You suggest that one should never turn in retirement funds..we had no other choice. What would your suggestion have been then? take out a loan against the funds? no way to pay it back but mess up our credit rating more? wrong.

I have medical care, just no insurance. it is called the free clinic where I sit for hours waiting for a possible place, then receive my medications either directly from the manufacturors or on a scale basis.

Our "fixer-upper" may be a money pit to some, to us it represents a HOME. So what if it has no central heat/a/c? so what is the carpet is gross? it is a HOME. Something we would have ultimately LOST if we had made any decisions other than the ones we made.

you said "there is always medicaid".....well, actually no there isn't. If one makes a salary or paycheck over 1500.00 per month for two people then that person makes too much money to receive medicaid. I know as we were turned down for making "too much money".

And if you have ever seen, lived in or visited section 8 housing then YOU TOO would have chosen a "fixer-upper"  just as we did.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 106

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 106

"And, if you've slept your way, or drank/drugged your way through high school, you're toast already."

Ran into some folks who did this and are now trying to regroup.  I don't think it's too late, no matter the age.  I can only offer what help I can and hope they succeed.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 106
Great Post, gail1.
Thank you.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 106

This forum is about having and not having, epster, so if you are refusing to contribute with positive dialogue about these subjects, then why post? This is not about me or what I'm doing. I am not trying to "goad" anybody into anything. I'm not asking you for your "guts" nor am I exposing mine. So lets get off attempting to attack me and get to the subject matter at hand.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 106

"...I have young people of a range of ages, from teenagers to 40+ year olds, asking for advice. They help make this senior proud to have been and done....".

Can't argue with that. I have seen no groups, outside of groups sponsored by the high school, where anyone is looking for advice. We don't have kids. The only kids we know have good parents who are dispensing their own advice. And, if you've slept your way, or drank/drugged your way through high school, you're toast already.    

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark