Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

MORNING ROLL CALL! ! ! MAY-JUNE CLOSED

Honored Social Butterfly

MORNING ROLL CALL! ! ! MAY-JUNE CLOSED

Good Morning to the Front Porch and Welcome to May 2020 Goodbye April 2020.

Hoping everyone has a great First Day OF May 2020.

april_028.jpg330455-So-Long-April.png353817-Daisy-Welcome-May-Good-Morning.png330606-Hello-May.gif

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500,

I remember when you posted about those pods and yes you did post pictures at that time.  I was, at least, one front porcher who identified those as the cocoons of the praying mantis.  Seems they've hatched just in time for the advent of summer.  Well, I don't know if the little fellas even know about or would be interested in social distancing or not, but I wish you good luck on finding itty bitty masks to fit. lol

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello Front Porch,

Busy day, missed saying Good Morning, but Good Night everyone.

Have a Blessed & Safe Night

Marylin

Screenshot_2020-05-31 pics of good night - Google Search.png

Honored Social Butterfly

@mi4090 

No apologies required, glad you stopped in.

50* wondrous degrees in Maine, where I think I’ve hung up my protest shoes. The youngin’s can keep on going.

*Subject to change.*

Need to get out and finish business, before temps start rising later in the week.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello Front Porch,

Missed saying Good Morning, busy day.  But let me say Good Night.

Have a Blessed & Safe Night

Marylin

Screenshot_2020-05-31 pics of good night - Google Search.png

Honored Social Butterfly

Good evening to everyone on the Front Porch!

@catwoman500 I have had one implant and did not find the procedure much of an issue. It took about 7 months to complete. I would do another one and remember to claim the cost not covered by the insurance on my State taxes.

The key part of this post tonight is the changing of the month to June.

Goodbye-May-Hello-June-Image.jpghappy-monday-images-2018-9 (2).jpghappy-monday-images-2018-32.jpg97039243_140542804214687_1684988457031565312_n.jpgf8759957ae2d666a592d0b90648116ab.jpg

Regular Social Butterfly

Hello from Good Old Sunny Pa. Today. 242284-Good-Morning-Gif.gif Big Colored Letters.gif

Live For Today, No One is Guaranteed a TOMORROW !
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hey, Peeps,

It is a bright and beautiful day here in the Philly burbs. We had rain last night that ushered in lowering humidity. Yesterday was icky with the humidity. Right now it’s 79 with 45% humidity. Windows open weather!

I cleaned the bathroom, did a load of wash, and got 3 more of the porch chair covers rinsed. They are on the line outside. I will get this porch done if it takes until the middle of June! 😸

Time to grab another cuppa Joe, cook some veggies and make my store list for tomorrow.

@Frozenoem … oh, for sure there have to be dust bunnies. I can only reach so far with the nozzle thing on the vacuum or the Swiffer. (Computer is 6 years old.)

@LydiaN586309 …wish I had your energy!

@LaDolceVita …I had a root canal last year and it was not fun. Why did they keep telling me when I was younger that I had such healthy teeth, and why are they failing me now, like in the last 8 years? Geeze! 😾

You all enjoy your Saturday and stay safe.

Such an aroma!Such an aroma!

Honored Social Butterfly

68* and sunny in Western mountains of Maine, 40 minutes from summit of Mt. Washington.

@LaDolceVita 

Which means weather is a roll of the dice. There was a time 30 years back when AC wasn’t required at all. That changed.

When we had to sleep in Motorhome plugged into barn figured there was a change coming, temps of 90-110* in Summer. Bought 2 AC’s.🤣

@catwoman500 

If you want can send you instructions on cleaning your pc.

Turn a screwdriver or thumb screw and blow it out, with canned air - UNPLUGGED. Hold fans still with a qtip and you’re golden.

Might even have a YouTube video.😷

@LydiaN586309 

Boy do I hear you on clutter, tons of stuff, this year I hope.The next sale and gifting happens.

At it’s worst garage had 3 Rangeley 18’ wooden boats stacked ,a sail boat. A 27’ power boat and trailer,a Jetta, a Dodge Ram pickup, table saws, snowblower, lawn mower and stuff for auction of camp and family members stuff.With oh yeah, 3 cords of firewood , test equipment and ?

Had an auction got reamed but, capable of walking through garage again. This year more goes, my back works again, I can bend over and come back up again. Balance is still shot but, I can move - yeah😷.

Now, only need to clean house again, put AC’s in , and clean attic out 2 rooms of clutter and moving boxes. And with luck those old style 1860 box springs uncovered, and sold🙏.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello Front Porch,

Stay Safe😊

Marylin

MarylinScreenshot_2020-05-30 good morning pics - Google Search(1).png

Honored Social Butterfly

852101532_896533.gif

Greetings, Porch Peeps!

245878-Good-Morning-Hope-You-Have-A-Beautiful-Saturday.jpg

And good morning to you @mi4090.  See you were up and posting super early this morning (around 3:30am) or was it that you just hadn't made it to bed yet?  Either way, "Morning!"

As you all can see from my colorful header, I'm feeling just a wee bit abstract today.  Not out of sorts, just up for something new and different.  But about all the "different" I'm gonna see today is the back of my garage and the trimming of my bushes. lol

Anyway, I woke up this morning around 5:30am and by 5:45am the sky was already light.  Methinks summer doth soon approach for sure.  Anyway, I did venture out to the garage yesterday as planned and I cleared out some boxes of junk and treasures.  Most of the excess stuff in my garage belonged to long deceased family members; stuff that I've been meaning to go through since stashing it there years ago.  But now, maybe this will be the year when I finally have the time and the inclination to actually get it done.  Like my grandmother used to say, "Little by little!"

The temp is 55 degrees right now here and the expected high is only 65.  But I take that happily 'cause I remember how cold and wet it was just a few months ago.  So no complaints from me. In fact, now that the sun is fully up, the day is looking even more inviting. 

Already got a load of laundry done so far today.  And I've had my first cup of joe.  So I think I'm on a roll now for sure. After a little more cartoon watching (Don't shame me. I love cartoons and have a few favorties) and another cup of coffee, I guess I'll have breakfast and then get myself ready to head back out to the storage locker...I mean my garage. Smile.

Anyway, whatever you all find to do today...enjoy!  Please continue to stay safe and healthy.  And above all....

307402-Wishing-You-A-Beautiful-Saturday-Relax-And-Enjoy-The-Day.gif

Lydia

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello Front Porch,

Screenshot_2020-05-29 good morning pics - Google Search.png

Have a Safe Day😎

Marylin

Honored Social Butterfly

193674-Yay-Its-Friday.jpg

Good morning, Peepers!

As usual, I am so happy it's Friday!  Two whole days off to do whatever I want or nothing at all.  Sweet!  But I do have plans to continue working on the clean-out of my garage.  I already tackled one corner of the garage the other day.  So I figure I'll just continue here a little, there a little and eventually I might end up with a mainly empty garage with everything remaining in perfect organization.  That's the goal anyway.

@catwoman500, I read about your apprehension with having a virtual appointment with your doctor.  Well, just three weeks ago, I was having the same problem as my new doctor's office informed me that they were not having in-person, in-office appointments due to the pandemic.  They, too, suggested a virtual appointment, but I explained to them about my lacking tech, downloading, computer skills and they simply opted to do my appointment via phone.  So on the day in question, my doctor literally called me and we conducted my "appointment" on the phone from the comfort of my family room couch.  Let me tell you, I thoroughly enjoyed the convenience of not having to drive to the office, wait in the waiting area and then in the examination room, and then.....  So maybe your doc will be likewise accommodating and just talk to you on the phone and maybe by your next appt. you'll be better able to do the virtual thing or maybe, just maybe, the pandemic will be so contained that we all can go back to our regular doctor visits.  We can hope anyway.

@LaDolceVita, Bravo on picking up your book.  What you described was far simpler than the several scenarios I had imagined.  I'll be glad when my library opens up.  In the meantime, good reading to you.  Enjoy!

@Frozenoem, you mentioned "fiddleheads" and it sent me to Google to find out what in the world they were.  I even found a couple of interesting recipes for them such as sautéed fiddleheads and fiddlehead pasta with garlic which is reminiscent of one of my favorite dishes--pasta primivera.    For sure, I don't think I will be foraging in the woods for edibles any time soon.  But at least I learned something new.  Wow.  And I thought I knew everything!  lol  

Well, it's time for me to get that second cup of coffee and

morning-coffee-cup-sky-beach-drinking-taking-pleasure-small-moments-life-72272314.jpg

start livin' that fantasy of hot java on the beach.  Smile.

Anyway, hope y'all have a good Friday and a great weekend.   I, for one, am just glad, thankful for just seeing another day!

happy on.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

83* yeesh, @MsStretch , found it my Woodell’s Camping guide, I was off on Road , Skyline Drive and Park was Shenandoah National Park.

We spent 2 months with dogs cruising on leash🤣, allowed. My oh yeah moment was 51.2 miles into park for gas, and my “All Trails” app on phone.

Sent friend a YouTube video to ID fiddleheads and saw them at base of a waterfall swimming hole in park👍 Next year no doubt, think it’s past season for VA.

Found 35mm negatives from trip, and needed another app, film box to view.

Froze

Honored Social Butterfly

@Frozenoem 

Ah, yes. Shenandoah NP.  The Blue Ridge Parkway eventually turns into Skyline Dr. in VA.  Sounds like Big Meadow at 51.2 with lodge and visitor center and yes, gas pumps.

Trying to think of swimming holes at waterfalls.  Whiteoak had one, but that trail remains closed.  Too many peeps tried to cram on that trail.  Or maybe Dark Hollow or South River Falls near Big Meadow.

Could be the falls in Riprap Hollow off the Wildcat Ridge Tr. in the S district.  I believe they still have somewhat of a swimming hole.  I am not too familiar with the south district and haven't done much hiking there (unless there was a cemetery or 2 or homesite back in the woods 🙂) since it is way at the other end.

But I have seen fiddleheads, now that I think about it, but not sure when, where?  Might still be in season up in the Park (higher elevations make for seasons being behind most of VA), but next year definitely a better plan.  SNP just recently reopened, but concessions remain closed until tentatively mid-June and services are limited to non-existent.

If you can't find fiddleheads, you can always look for morels.  They're popular with the locals. 😋

Honored Social Butterfly

Good morning to everyone here on the Front Porch on this rainy Thursday morning in May 2020. It is cloudy and we have a morning temperature of 69*. Heavy rains are moving in and a high of 70* today. Not much going on here again!

My lawn mowing service will be here Saturday morning and we are expecting sunny  weather for the weekend. 

Working on my second mug of coffee while waiting for our niece and her wife to arrive from their drive from San Diego. Barbs mother, my Sister-in-law is in Hospice care as cancer is taking over her body. Kathy has been battling one form of cancer or another since the mid 1970's.

150px-Pink_ribbon.svg.png

Breast Cancer Ribbon

The breast cancer ribbon has become the universal symbol of breast cancer, illustrating the cause, raising awareness and bringing together women in solidarity. From a simple piece of ribbon affixed with a pin, we are able to show our support for loved ones battling breast cancer and our hope for a brighter future.

89356877_2644617545649601_7328330645069889536_o.jpg

So Let’s Stop Talking about “Battling Cancer”

Describing it that way can be damaging to patients, families and caregivers.Cancer is not a war. It’s not a battle to be won. Cancer is a disease that plays by its own rules and does not always respond the way it is supposed to.

Cancer is not a war. It’s not a battle to be won. Cancer is a disease that plays by its own rules and does not always respond the way it is supposed to.

The recent diagnosis of Democratic congressman and civil-rights icon John R. Lewis of Georgia  with stage IV pancreatic cancer, has predictably led to many articles and conversations on the “fight” against cancer he has to prepare to wage. His is a diagnosis that can be treatable, but is not curable with the current treatment options that are available.

Similarly, Alex Trebek, the long-time host of TV game show Jeopardy, publicly discusses his “battle” with stage IV pancreatic cancer.

Yet it is unfair to call a diagnosis and the treatment plan a fight. This indicates that when the cancer does what cancer often does, and the patient either succumbs to the illness or to complications from the disease or treatment, he or she did not fight hard enough, or has given up.

It is essential that physicians communicate openly and honestly with patients on the disease, treatment options and prognosis. Open dialogue and communication are key to a successful doctor patient relationship, and essential when developing plans after an initial diagnosis of cancer.

But battle metaphors can easily be removed from our discussions—unless that is the patient’s preference. Not many people would say a patient was fighting a battle against a stroke or a heart attack, so putting such massive responsibility on a patient newly diagnosed with cancer is a losing proposition.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hi, everyone on the porch,

Earlier this AM I called my doctor’s office to make sure I was still having my appt. on June 9th. Got a recording and it seems now you have to download some app so you can do a tele-visit. We all know with my tech expertise that is not going to happen. No camera on my computer and I can’t see myself trying to talk to/look at my doc on a little phone. How in the world can he take my BP? HA! I did look at the app and the reviews are bad. One guy even said to was too hard to navigate for seniors and people with bad tech skills! LOL One girl said it kept shutting down before she could even finish registering. I fear this is not going to go well. Oh, and Chrome on my phone apparently wants access to all my stuff before I can even check out the app. Not happening! Plus there is not enough storage. This keeps getting better.

I couldn’t even get a person to talk to at the doctor’s. They will call me back (Probably when I’m at the dentist) LOL Besides wanting to know if I still was able to have the appointment, (guessing no) I need to know if it’s safe for me to get the blood work done. Not doing that if I don’t have the in person appointment. What’s also sad is that my doc is retiring and I won’t get to give him the bottle of wine I bought for him or say good-bye in person.

Ugh, why can’t things be easy? I know we were never promised a rose garden, but will I be pushing up daisies before I ever see a real doctor?

So as I mentioned, today is finally my dentist appointment to get my crown put back in. Like some other places you guys mentioned, I was told to call from the car when I got there and they would come out and take my temperature and then take me right back to the dentist…no waiting in the “waiting room.”

I’ll let you know how that goes!

Stay safe!

Open wide!Open wide!

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 

It’s easier to do virtual appt, depending upon app your doctor uses, if you use Windows 10. Anything else is a total roll of the dice.

If you don’t have camera you can buy one. Assume you have desktop not, laptop.Webcam for your operating system around $10.

Delightful morning that’s sarcasm 69* at 2 am when I awoke and humidity is in total drip mode - hazy, hot and humid.

Bring on the cold front already and thunderstorms please.🙏

@MsStretch 

Best guess Upper or lower oaks🤷‍♂️, that’s a total guess spent 2 months cruising through the semi-south and VA. Think we went everywhere and fact I wore out a pair of hiking boots. Made use of every discount available-golden access and DOD.

Have finally decided AC goes in window, with another attempt at sleep.

Froze

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello Front Porch Forum,

Good Morning all, I'm Staying at Home and Saving Lives😉

Have a Blessed Day

Marylin

Screenshot_2020-05-27-20-38-16.png

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello Front Porch,

Good Evening to all😇

Have a Blessed & Safe Day

Marylin

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello Our Front Porch

Good Morning to all and I will be doing roll call going forward.

Marylin

Honored Social Butterfly

Hey, @mi4090 (aka-Marylin)!

Just wanted to say...

welcome.gif

Glad you decided to settle in on Our Front Porch where there's plenty of room and all kinds of topics to post on. So have fun, post away, and again, "Welcome!"

Lydia

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello @LydiaN586309 

Thanks for the warm welcome😊 I look forward to participating and posting topics here.

Marylin

Recognized Social Butterfly

@mi4090   Welcome, it feels nice when someone wants to join us.  What part of the country do you live in?

I finally picked up the book I ordered back in March from the library.  First I called to make an appointment to do the pick up.  Then I had to call from the parking lot to tell them I was there.  The book was brought out to the table placed in the covered area where there is a stone bench.  Slow process but not uncomfortable unless it lasts into winter. 

I have finally found an almost comfortable mask.  I was kind of suffocating by the time I got to pharmacy counter.   Definitely keeps me from lingering too long in the store.

Enjoy your day and stay safe everyone.

Trusted Contributor

@mi4090 - wonder if we pronounce our names the same with a different spelling?  I've had other people spell my name like that.  

It's been another warm and sunshiny day here in the Chicago area.  I've been working all day long so will have to check out the weather in a little while to see just how warm it might be.  I know it's somewhere in the 80s.  

Hope everyone has had a good Tuesday.😎

Trusted Social Butterfly

Hello @wvgirlforever 

Marilyn, just saw your post. Most people pronounce my name like yours.  Assuming I'm spelling it correctly (i.e. Marilyn Monroe)😊

But it's actually pronounced (Mary-lin).  Great to meet another name sake.

Marylin

Trusted Contributor

Good Morning @mi4090 

I thought you might pronounce your name different from mine.  I actually was named after Marilyn Maxwell (less famour than Monroe but was also an actress).  I've had my name spelled so many different ways by others.  Once someone actually thought my name was spelled like the state.

🤣

It looks to be a beautiful day here in the Chicago area as the temperature will drop into the 703 and 60s.  It's been so hot here and humid which isn't my favorite type of weather.  Still working from home for the company where I work.  Looks like that will be the case until at least Labor Day.  I was going to retire at the end of July but if I can't go anywhere, i might as well get paid for staying at home.  It does help the day go faster though.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day and weekend.IMG_1273.JPG

Trusted Social Butterfly

Happy Friday, Porch Peeps,

@LydiaN586309 ...So…update… Doctor’s office called back. They haven’t made any decisions about in-person appointments for my appt. date yet. They’ll decide on the 5th when we move from phase red to yellow, and they will call me. Meanwhile, I can get my blood work done at the regular place without an appointment, but there may be a social distancing line.

I'm thinking if it doesn't happen in person we can just do the plain phone call, but sure won't be the same.

@Frozenoem ... desktop, no windows 10, can't get on floor to hook up a camera, no place on desk for it...not going to happen. 😼 HA!

As for the dentist…

I swear I was the only patient in the whole huge building.

Called when I got there, office woman came right out, walked me inside to a table in the outer lobby area where I answered the questions on the form and she took my temp; said this can’t be right, took it again and of course it was still 95. I swear I have never reached 98 except when I’ve been sick. HA! My dentist said that means I’d be less susceptible to Corona! So there was a huge box of new pens and I had to pick one to use for the form and then keep it! HA!

So cut to the chase, the dentist tried to glue the cap back in, but there isn’t enough tooth left. She tried again with a different cement after chiseling it down and she got it glued in but said not to be surprised if it came out soon.

I have 2 options…a bridge or an implant. I know implants are real expensive and it takes a couple of unpleasant sessions to get one done, but I’m thinking of going that way. I have a consultation appt. with their periodontist next Thursday so he can explain what exactly is involved. My dentist did give me an overview with “props.” One of my friends described what I thought was not something to look forward to at all, but I need to hear more.

Oh, and get ready for this one if you get to the dentist…maybe doctors, too…An $11.00 fee for PPE.

Any of you ever have experience with an implant?

@La Dolce Vita… so glad you finally got your library book and a mask that is comfortable.

dentists and cats.jpg

Recognized Social Butterfly

@catwoman500   The periodontist does not sound like  any fun  and I am sorry you having to face that.  I had to have a root canal a few years back and I took 1/3 of mom's tranquilizer.  I behaved very well with that.  My dentist offers a prescription before I have anything other than a filling as he prefers not working on a moving target.   I am not a good patient for doctor or dentist.   PPE for $11, what next!

Have a nice day porchers.  We are having lovely weather here, no real heat except for 1 day this month.  Summer will start for real on Monday I hear.  @Frozenoem  it seems the weather in your locale goes from snowy to down right hot. Does spring just last a day or two there ?  😐   Or did I get the wrong impression?

Honored Social Butterfly

@catwoman500 

Only know one person who had implant (dental) took them 3-6 months for the anchor points to heal, then the implant was screwed down or affixed.

Temporary caps are working for me 10-20 years. Just pin them and glue with UV sensitive epoxy. Had to have ALL silver fillings replaced with non, now that gave me visions of “Marathon Man” for months.

Mercury used in fillings was giving me tremors. Too many “Chunkies” as a kid perhaps.🤣

The good news is I probably realized why you have computer issues. Desktop computer on floor, you probably have dust bunny buildup. Especially if you have cats/dogs.

Can of air might cure issues with heat buildup and crashes. There are fans in computer, to cool CPU’s, video, power supplies, etc. And the age of operating system. Most get updates for 10 years and that’s it, discontinued. Windows 10 is at 5 year mark, maybe. XP lasted 20 years and still exists some places for running ATM’s and machinery.

Yeesh, time to play Every PD/FD alarm just triggered, might be fun thunder strikes coming up. Got bored and turned on my scanner.

Froze

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

91*, sunny and black flies are out feeding on uncovered skin, which would be NOW.

Mowed, mulched and swarmed, forgot my elbows😡. Time to get new Cutter or Muskol. Thankfully the Sawyer still works, no ticks.

Time to recoat  boots and socks, etc.

@MsStretch what’s the Name of state/Nat’l ? park off Blue Ridge Drive, been 30+ years since I’ve been. But, remember they had Cinnamon and Ostrich ferns, asking for a friend who wants to try fiddleheads. And can’t find “Foxfire Series” or even Euell Gibbons books. Although it’s probably past season there.

Rather not send her out without a description of what to look for. Picked mine last week, and been eating already with some frozen for later.😆 All I can recall of park was it allowed RV’s and was beyond humid, off trail. Swear the air was dense with water vapor. 

Time to slather up and mow the back yard, at least my immunity to fly bites has built up through the years.

@catwoman500 

No worries on the pasty skin it tans eventually, or at least darkens.

Froze

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP