Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers

Message 11 of 70

You make it sound like it is easy to change Medigap coverage or who covers it. If you really did any research you will know that you only have the right to get coverage without examination on your initial inrollment. After that if you try to change, the insurance company has the right to deny or raise your rate based on your health. So to say just change coverage because you are not happy with the insurance company is not easy or even possible for alot of seniors. I found this out and did my due diligence and made my decision based on alot of factors including the fact that AARP endorsed it. If you look up Medigap programs this one is called "AARP United Health Care Medigap". I thought at the time when I made my selection that AARP would endorse the best for seniors, not have a company that builds up clients based on extras and then drops them after many can not change insurance companie easily or at all. "Extras" and trust count when you are making up your mind. All insurance companies have to follow the "Requirements" of Medicare. It can be the extras that make the difference.

Either you are not on medigap or you are one of the fortunate that can change medigap programs because of excellent health or are not aware of the restrictions that caused by trying to change programs after the initial windows. The open window every year allows you to change but it does say any company can not deny or raise your rates if you try.

If you are saying the AARP endorsed Unitited Health Care because they follow the required guidelines of Medicare, then that applies to all insurance companies So the endorsement is worthless. You are quite wrong if you think that an endorsement from AARP is not powerfull. One of the main reasons you would select AARP is because you trust that they doing the best for seniors. Why would you belong to the organization if it were not.

So based on what you are saying, all products that are endorsed by AARP are not really checked by AARP and probably not the best for seniors. If this is the case and you believe it, why are you a member? Just for the discounts? Which are no better then AAA. I would hope that you belong to AARP because it is an organization that is there to help seniors, not to sell to them.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 70

@pfwest wrote:

Silver Sneakers is a well needed program for seniors. Seniors like myself cannot afford to pay for a gym. Please have some compassion and restore this program.

What about seniors that can't afford a Medigap plan?

What about seniors that only have traditional Medicare?

What about seniors that depend on Medicaid to pick up some of their Medicare.

Some seniors might say, if you "need" it, you pay for it -

If (any) exercise and wellness program is a "needed" program for seniors - shouldn't it just be added to the traditional Medicare benefit for coverage for everybody since it is a "need".

Yes, exercise, wellness, comraderie, etc. are all important to seniors to stay fit or just to keep moving and not isolate - but a "need" - not so sure it is that high up on the scale especially when compared to other things.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 70

@s809426o wrote:

It's a real shame that AARP pushes United Health Care and they drop silver sneakers. I have only joined Medigap for the last year and half and find that I need a program like silver sneakers now. I have been an aarp member for the last 16 years and have registered for the next 5. I think I may have to reconsidered the benefits of AARP since they do not caree who they sponser for seniors.

Seems to me, there is a disconnect between what people think is the correlation between AARP and UHC - 

I guess I don't consider a "name royalty" as an endorsement.  I guess I don't consider any membership based benefit as being the best for me - it is just another to evaluate within the whole of whatever it might be - a Medicare plan, a life insurance policy, auto insurance, car rental, a health and fitness program, etc.

Actually, the way I understand it from my readings is, the ONLY place where membership is required with an AARP "branded" Medicare plan is for Medicare Supplemental policies (Medigap).  I believe the reason for this is because they are written under a (AARP-UHC)Trust with a Master Plan which crosses over states.  The Master Plan contains all those things which a Medigap plan MUST cover per Medicare (the law) - to which any "extra benefit" like a health and wellness plan, dental, vision - don't have to be covered and thus are deemed "extra" and can be cancelled or modified at any time.

If people would read their (Medigap) Evidence of Coverage explaining the plan which they have, they would see that any of these type of "extras" can be cancelled or changed at any time under whatever insurer.

You don't have to be a member of AARP to buy an AARP - Medicare Advantage plan.  Since they can change every year, people should make sure they know the changes BEFORE reupping yearly.  .  Medicare Advantage plans cover the same things as traditional Medicare but in a different way.  Medicare Advantage plans can also offer different and extra benefits - but here again, since people have to re-up them yearly, these too can change on a yearly basis.  This is doubly important if their Medicare Prescription Drug coverage is also included within the MA plan (MAPD).

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 70

Silver Sneakers is a well needed program for seniors. Seniors like myself cannot afford to pay for a gym. Please have some compassion and restore this program.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 70

It's a real shame that AARP pushes United Health Care and they drop silver sneakers. I have only joined Medigap for the last year and half and find that I need a program like silver sneakers now. I have been an aarp member for the last 16 years and have registered for the next 5. I think I may have to reconsidered the benefits of AARP since they do not caree who they sponser for seniors.

Kudos
Views
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 70

As a physician, I have read the studies over and over and over that exercise, great nutrition, and connections - both social and spiritual - contribute to one's health benefit.  Speaking with a nurse on the phone, however, or receiving counseling about a condition and how to improve one's health actually does not.  So why in the name of heaven would they drop an exercise program designed to be of benefit to one that has shown to be of no benefit?  Let's just follow the money shall we?  Of course the obvious one is the fact that that UHC/AARP pays a fee to Silver Sneakers (well not any more).  But the less obvious is that insurance companies in most states are allowed to charge premium based on their cost plus a profit.  So if people's health deterioriates because they are not exercising, their health will inevitably decline and they will need to use medical services more often.  So that cost increases SUBSTANTIALLY.  So if the allowed profit is 10 percent, they get an increased profit.  Example:  Cost = $1000, + profit @10% = $1100 with $100 profit. If the cost is $1250, add the same allowed profit of $10% = $1375 total with $125 profit.  The fact that there is no gym not a silver sneakers within 20 miles of my home that I can join is of no interest to the greedy folks at UHC/AARP.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 70
agree 100%. Please also post to facebook and instragram so others will know the underhanded way they eliminated this very beneficial program to seniors. Shame on AARP for allowing this to happen. Bring back Silver Sneakers. Also, just so you know. I have noticed that it looks like all posts are not being shared. Their way of making it look like not many are interested? I wonder??
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 70
Most people won't take the time to post about being unhappy, but they will think twice when making their selection for next year. Anthem has the Silver Sneakers program, check them out.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 70
You are right. When they say not many were using the Silver Sneakers program, that's just their way to justify without proof. I think more were using than they say as evidenced by these posts. Only one out of every 100 people will bother to post a response or to post a complaint. But is does not mean they are not happy. That will be evidenced when people change to other plans. I hear the Anthem has the Silver Sneakers program...check them out.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 70
Good for you posting this to the website so others will not be taken for fools. The new plan is bad.
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Ask the Expert: What advice do you need to better manage your stress and anxiety?

Clinical Psychologists Barry Jacobs and Julie Mayer will answer your questions on how to cope with the major life change, anxiety, and sadness we are all facing these days. Ask a question now and tune in live on May 27, 3-5 p.m. ET.

Top Authors