Get the vision care news and information you need in the AARP Eye Center.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Silver Sneakers

Message 21 of 64

The new wellness plan with United Health Care (AARP)  .....sucks!!! They call it HealthYourWay, but it only pays for half the cost of enrollment and isn't accepted everywhere when traveling like Silver Sneakers.    A real loss...

I have the most expensive plan they have and they are taking away benfilts....Silver Sneakers is a good wellness benefit and I definitely will look at other plans in October before I renew with UHC and AARP.  Please post to facebook, instragram and other social networks so others will know about this loss of benefits.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 64

So this is the response of AARP & United Healthcare....

AARP Medicare Advantage plans insured by United Healthcare will be offered the program called Renew Active, formerly Optum Fitness Advantage.

AARP Medicare Supplemental (Medigap) plans insured by United Healthcare are offered the program called Health Your Way.

If AARP was really looking out for us they would have told United Healthcare the removal of silver sneakers was a deal breaker for recommendation but NO AARP did nothing in my view. If you also look at the Rx rteceommendation through Optum Rx you will find similiar tactics in the drug coverages.....I have complained to AARP and it looks like the only resolution is to change at open enrollment.....shame on me for not doing a better due diligence on these underhanded tactics but I mistakenly thought AARP had my back. WRONG AGAIN.....

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 64

@AARPTeri wrote:

@le731  We have posted the information you are looking for here:  https://community.aarp.org/t5/Health/What-is-happening-with-the-AARP-Medicare-Plan-and-Silver/ta-p/2...

AARPTeri,

While that is a good informative response from this membership organization, I believe they should go one step further and explain that the benefit which will be offered from UHC will be determined by what type of AARP Branded Medicare plan from UHC which they have.

AARP Medicare Advantage plans insured by United Healthcare will be offered the program called Renew Active, formerly Optum Fitness Advantage.

AARP Medicare Supplemental (Medigap) plans insured by United Healthcare are offered the program called Health Your Way.

Sometimes beneficiaries aren't given this detail and it is confusing to them when they try to get information - their plan makes the difference in how the UHC rep describes their optional health and wellness benefit.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 64

@le731  We have posted the information you are looking for here:  https://community.aarp.org/t5/Health/What-is-happening-with-the-AARP-Medicare-Plan-and-Silver/ta-p/2...

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 64

Dear readers, please confirm that we can no longer qualify for silver sneakers through AARP, is that true?

If so what exercise service will AARP cover and how do we register? Thank you.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 64

this is a very worthwhile cause. Bring Silver Sneakers back Now I have to pay and cannot afford this extra montly bill.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 64

@p107249I,  are you in a Medicare Advantage Plan or a Medicare Supplement Plan?  If the latter, there's no need to wait - you can to switch to another company's Medicare Supplement Plan at any time if you are in good health (as discussed in my prior post).  ...unfortunately, that's not the case if you are in a Medicare Advantage Plan. Smiley Sad

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 64

I am very disappointed in AARP and United Healthcare regarding Silver Sneakers.  At the next open enrollment, I will be looking for a new insurance carrier.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 64

I forgot to mention that in 2018, UHC is estimated to earn over $12 billion dollars ( that’s Billion with a B) of net income.  This is an increase of about 120% in the last five years, so UHC is certainly not hurting financially.

i just don’t understand why UHC would anger such a large number of their customer base which has given them record profits over the past few years.

They have replaced the free Silver Sneakers program with access to a wellness coach.  I am pretty confident that the first recommendation of a fitness coach to stay healthy would be regular exercise, and would probably quote the Cleveland Clinic study as proof of the benefit of regular exercise.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 64

When AARP/UHC cancelled the free Silver Sneakers program, what they did was to DISCOURAGE seniors exercising, as many seniors could no longer afford a gym membership.  Without access to gym facilities, regular exercise almost always goes by the wayside.

Meanwhile, the prestigious Cleveland Clinic published the results of a ten year study on over 120,000 participants.  Their conclusion, published in the also prestigious Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) is that a sedentary lifestyle (lack of regular exercise) was MORE DANGEROUS TO YOUR HEALTH THAN SMOKING.

Said differently ( a little tongue in cheek), you would be better off starting to smoke than to quit regular exercise.

AARP is a wonderful organization.  But even wonderful organizations make mistakes.  AARP...PLEASE BRING BACK FREE SILVER SNEAKERS PROGRAM.  IF UHC WONT AGREE, FIRE THEM AND FIND A DIFFERENT PARTNER TO MARKET MEDICARE supplement and advantage programs.

AARP members....if you agree with this post, please send me an email at shamoo11111@yahoo.com.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season