Content starts here
CLOSE ×
Search

๐Ÿ•ฏ A Place To Be With OTHERS Who Are Grieving! WE support each other.

Anonymous
Not applicable

๐Ÿ•ฏ A Place To Be With OTHERS Who Are Grieving! WE support each other.

โ–ถ๏ธTo reply, click on reply button at bottom of this post. Enter your text. Click reply button again.โ—€๏ธ

READ the comments and/or ADD a comment.

***A place to share and support***

Grief & Loss Team ๐ŸคŽ๐Ÿค—

Screenshot_20230530-033419_Chrome.jpg

๐Ÿ“ธclipart attached๐Ÿ“ธ

Gold Conversationalist

Hi Nicole! ๐Ÿ˜€

You mean like this kind of  EMOTIONAL ROLLERCOASTER๐Ÿ˜„

EMOTIONAL ROLLERCOASTER LOL!EMOTIONAL ROLLERCOASTER LOL!

LOL!๐Ÿ™ƒ๐Ÿคฃ

Take care!  ๐Ÿ‚๐Ÿ๐Ÿ‚โ˜ฎ๏ธ  ~Allen ๐ŸŒˆ ๐Ÿ‚๐Ÿ๐Ÿ‚

Esteemed Social Butterfly

1 comment (Saturday 11/11/23 1:30pm EST)

Dear Kim @KimberlyM389662 , I am TAGGING both AARP Expert Jane @JaneCares and AARP Expert Amy @agoyer to see IF they are ONLINE now.

Luv you,

Nicole ๐Ÿค—

โœ@KimberlyM389662 wrote:

Nicole, 

I am in such a funk and can't get out of it. I feel like such a failure on everything. There are things that I have to do now with my son that has made me realize that it is things he did with his Dad and it makes me so sad that my son will never get to do those again. Social security is messing around with my son's benefits. 9 months ago I had his interview to switch his SSI over to SSDI to collect benefits under his Dad and it's still not completed. I was given a number to call my local congressman to get involved which is what I had to do last year to get my disability reviewed and of course they denied me. It's been resubmitted and per the lawyer my husband's death helps me. They have only processed 35% and it says it generally takes a year. I am going down a rabbit hole and feel like everything is closing in on me. Not sleeping well, anxiety induced panic attacks and after this month I won't be able to pay my bills. I worked so hard to keep a good credit score which is now going into the crapper. I need someone to help me and tell me it's going to get better. โœ

AARP Expert

@SpringIsHereSoHappy  @KimberlyM389662 

Kimberly I'm so sorry you are in such a fix. And dealing with this while you are grieving - it's so hard. My heart goes out to you. I'm so sorry for your loss.

The length of time it takes for these things is so frustrating! I do think it's a good idea to call your Member of Congress and get them to help you. I know you said you did that for yourself but you were denied, and it's a good idea to do this now for your son. 

You said you were working with a lawyer - that's a good thing, what is the lawyer doing to help you? Good lawyers can help the process go more smoothly and possibly faster. What advice is the lawyer giving? 

Here are some resources that may be helpful. 

Find free financial counseling:

• Financial Counseling Association of America Or call 1-800-450-1794 
  • The Foundation for Financial Planning has some free education resources but also has info about how to talk to a free financial expert. They also have some great worksheets and other tools. 
  • Some banks or credit unions offer free financial counseling - you might contact yours and ask if they offer any support. 
  • Advisors Give Back is a non-profit in which financial advisors offer free expert advice. 
  • The Financial Planning Association also has a pro bono program for free expert advice.
  • I know you are concerned about being able to pay your bills. I'd urge you to contact your utility companies (gas, electric, internet, etc.) and tell the you are struggling and ask if they have any programs to help - some offer discounted services, deferred payments, etc. 

Supplement your income and help pay for expenses by applying for other public benefits:

• Be sure you have also signed up for any other benefits you might be eligible for (and they may go faster that Social Security does). For example, LIHEAP (low income home energy assistance program) helps people with low incomes pay their heating and electric bills. AARP has these free public benefits state fact sheets for every state and you can see about how to apply in your state, who to contact, etc. You might qualify for SNAP (food and nutrition benefits), TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families) or other benefits as well. Have you applied for Medicaid?

Use a food bank:

• Remember that you can go to a Food Bank to get food - every little bit of money that is saved can help! Feeding America has a tool to help you find local food banks. There is no shame in utilizing a food bank when you need it. They exist for people who are in tough situations and you definitely qualify for that! 

I hope some of these things will lead you to more support and financial assistance! 

Take care,

Amy Goyer, AARP Family & Caregiving Expert

Author, Juggling Life, Work and Caregiving

2 comments (11/11/23) ๐Ÿ‘‹ Saturday Chat!

How are you TODAY/TONIGHT? ๐Ÿค”

Me, kind of an IFFY day = rollercoaster day! ๐Ÿ™„

Earlier, was thinking of staying IN BED ALL DAY, but did get up to make some much needed coffee. โ˜•

So far, have NOT climbed back into bed.... ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿ’ƒ

Totally EXCITED that the YouTube Channel I SUBSCRIBE to just posted a NEW audiobook. Cannot wait for BEDTIME tonight to listen to it. ๐Ÿ‘

"Gertrude, Gumshoe: Slam Is Murder | Cozy Mystery Audiobook" on YouTube.

Okay, let me cut this short and hit post as I see OUR Kim @KimberlyM389662 just posted. ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’™

Find YOUR peace,

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Nicole @SpringIsHereSoHappy ,

I'm sorry about your roller coaster day. I hope there were at least more ups than downs. Why not listen to that book that excites you any time you want? When you are retired you have so much more flexibility in the timing of things you like to do! 

Marcy

Trusted Contributor

Nicole,

I can't do the audio books. My daughter does in the car on her way home from work. My neighbor also. Me, I'm old school. I do read books on my Kindle it's not the same as actually feeling the weight of the book. Also, the gratification of actually turning the page with my hand. I have been reading a series of books about one specific person. I have been reading him since 1992 I just got the new book but, I have not been able to focus on reading. My therapist and my psychiatric nurse practitioner put me on a new medicine to help me focus but it hasn't had enough time to reach the plateau that I need to be able to.

1 comment (Friday 11/10/23)

Marcy @MarcyW882921 , OUR Jonibee @jonibee INSPIRES me NOT to GIVE UP!!!

Through all of this, SHE is "functioning" - gosh, I would be laying in a Hospital Bed DEMANDING stuff = I am a BIG BABY. My daughter is like dear sweet strong Jonibee.

Luv you BOTH,

Nicole ๐Ÿค—๐Ÿค—

โœ@MarcyW882921 wrote:

Jonibee @jonibee.

Thinking of you and I'm sorry that you are having to deal with all of these kicks while you are already down. I guess all you can do is follow doctor's orders that seem to be prioritizing what is the most crucial at this time. I hope the medication does what is is expected to do without adding any additional complications.

Marcyโœ

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Nicole @SpringIsHereSoHappy ,

I love Jonibee's @Jonibee fighting spirit and that she inspires you. Those are things we all need!

Marcy

Kudos
Views

2 comments (Friday 11/10/23)

๐Ÿ‘ฃ  1 Step At A Time!

The day will come when you can remember your loved one WITHOUT PAIN.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Nicole, 

I am in such a funk and can't get out of it. I feel like such a failure on everything. There are things that I have to do now with my son that has made me realize that it is things he did with his Dad and it makes me so sad that my son will never get to do those again. Social security is messing around with my son's benefits. 9 months ago I had his interview to switch his SSI over to SSDI to collect benefits under his Dad and it's still not completed. I was given a number to call my local congressman to get involved which is what I had to do last year to get my disability reviewed and of course they denied me. It's been resubmitted and per the lawyer my husband's death helps me. They have only processed 35% and it says it generally takes a year. I am going down a rabbit hole and feel like everything is closing in on me. Not sleeping well, anxiety induced panic attacks and after this month I won't be able to pay my bills. I worked so hard to keep a good credit score which is now going into the crapper. I need someone to help me and tell me it's going to get better. 

Silver Conversationalist

From your lips Nicole @SpringIsHereSoHappy !

๐Ÿค—โค๏ธ

Trusted Social Butterfly

Just an update as to my conditon of tx for carpal tunnel..i was suppose to go and have hands assessed to see if a shot was necessary but due to raise in blood sugar levels to the danger zone it wasn't done..I have to go on meds to bring it down to levels that stabalize ...i was told I have type 2 diabetes so this is a new curve thrown at me and i now have to deal with this which I will..I am a Carbs person and when emotions gnaw at you it's so easy to turn to sweets which is only a temporary fix..I have been dealing with the sugar issue blood levels for the last two years because of stress and this is the end result.Hopefully all will come to where I'm suppose to be...Thank you to those who remembered me this past week on the anniversary of my husbands passing...

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist

Jonibee @jonibee.

Thinking of you and I'm sorry that you are having to deal with all of these kicks while you are already down. I guess all you can do is follow doctor's orders that seem to be prioritizing what is the most crucial at this time. I hope the medication does what is is expected to do without adding any additional complications.

Marcy

1 comment (Thursday 11/9/23)

Thanks Marcy @MarcyW882921 ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’™

Lol, I cleaned house in my REAL AND ONLINE lives = everyone on PROBATION! ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚

On the SERIOUS side, I am NOT as NEEDY as I was THIS YEAR and EXCITED about what is in store for me. ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿ’ƒ

Luv you,

Nicole ๐Ÿค—

โœ@MarcyW882921 wrote:

Nicole @SpringIsHereSoHappy,

Reading your post about living humans in your life reminded me of a chapter in a book I am reading. The book is Build the Life You Want by Arthur C. Brooks & Oprah Winfrey. There is a chapter about friends and they are described in two categories "real and deal." Your real friends are those close friends that you confide in and the relationship endures and the deal friends are ones that serve a purpose in your life (or maybe you serve a purpose in their life) for a period of time and then it ends.

You described the process well. Identify who these people are and how they fit into your life. If their purpose or your purpose is over, it is ok to let go. If however they are someone that you respect, admire, confide in, trust, etc., invest the time and energy to maintain that relationship over time.

Marcyโœ

Gold Conversationalist

Hi Nicole! Hope youโ€™re doing well!

BTW: How much longer will I have to be ....on PROBATION?!?!!

d.jpg

LOL!!

Take care!  ๐Ÿ‚๐Ÿ๐Ÿ‚โ˜ฎ๏ธ  ~Allen ๐ŸŒˆ๐Ÿ‚๐Ÿ๐Ÿ‚

1 comment (Thursday 11/9/23)

Hi Bill @BillH490171 , SO GOOD to hear from YOU!!! ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿ’ƒ

Luv you,

Nicole ๐Ÿค—

โœ@BillH490171 wrote:

Good morning and hope everyone is enjoying this day.  Here in southwest VA, the leaves have turned and are falling like crazy.  I'll be out some raking and moving them around some.  

As we move into the holiday season, this will be the first one without my spouse for myself and my kids.  I've read some ideas on how to deal with this "first" in the year of firsts.  I plan to be away from my house, busy as I can be, and then celebrate Thanksgiving with 3 of my 4 kids on Friday.

Anyone have any tips that worked for you in getting through the holidays?

Take care, Bill โœ

Silver Conversationalist

That is a good idea Bill. Holidays don't have to be celebrated on the exact day. And not everyone can get together on the same day. I'm sorry for your loss Bill. And I know its painful without your person. However I'm sure your kids are grateful and happy to still have their Dad. Stay hopeful. I'm sure good things are on the horizon for all of you!

2 comments (Thursday 11/9/23)

I AM THINKING OF YOU TODAY! ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’™

Bill @BillH490171 

Trusted Contributor

Good morning and hope everyone is enjoying this day.  Here in southwest VA, the leaves have turned and are falling like crazy.  I'll be out some raking and moving them around some.  

As we move into the holiday season, this will be the first one without my spouse for myself and my kids.  I've read some ideas on how to deal with this "first" in the year of firsts.  I plan to be away from my house, busy as I can be, and then celebrate Thanksgiving with 3 of my 4 kids on Friday.

Anyone have any tips that worked for you in getting through the holidays?

Take care, Bill 

Silver Conversationalist

Bill @BillH490171,

Last year was my first batch of holidays without my husband. In recent years I have always cooked dinner and often invited friends who were alone or packed up food to take to them. Last year I invited a couple who were friends of ours and were going to spend Thanksgiving alone. The male in the couple was sick that day and couldn't come to dinner so it ended up being just me and his significant other. It actually was a very nice dinner. A year later and now that man has passed away too and it is going to be us two women once again. My strategy was to keep things as close to my normal routine as possible because that is where my comfort lies. This grief thing is all individual and you just have to find things that work for you.

Marcy

1 comment (Wednesday 11/8/23)

I am Walmart but had to say THANKS for the pictures ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ•๐Ÿถ Kim @KimberlyM389662 !!! ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿ’ƒ๐Ÿ’ƒ

Lol, finally HE IS AWAKE ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ

Luv you,

Nicole ๐Ÿค—

๐Ÿ“ธ  Mom Kim has attached 2 pictures of Our Boy  ๐Ÿ“ธ

โœ@KimberlyM389662 wrote:

IMG_20231108_090633502.jpg

Nicole, I am sorry that I haven't posted anything in a while. I have just been dealing with everything and trying to not drown in. It's been building and building up and I just some days feel like I am barely holding my breath and head above the waves. It's just one after another. I am trying my best to make sure my son has everything and everyone he needs. I have some really great friends and neighbors that are supportive and helpful. On a positive note, I have attached 2 new pictures of our mascot taken this morning. I took him to PetSmart with me last week. We put him on a scale and at 5 months he weighed 39.2 pounds. I hope these pictures cheer all of us up at least a little bit today because let's face it, if there is nothing else that can make you smile it's a puppy face. I just ask if everyone could just send some prayers my way and when I am ready I will privately message you about everything that's been going on. Here's our beautiful boy. 

IMG_20231108_090641833.jpg

โœ

Silver Conversationalist

looks very cute!

2 comments (Wednesday 11/8/23)

๐Ÿš—๐Ÿš˜  My Out Of Food Walmart Run TODAY!

See you later....

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

IMG_20231108_090633502.jpg

Nicole, I am sorry that I haven't posted anything in a while. I have just been dealing with everything and trying to not drown in. It's been building and building up and I just some days feel like I am barely holding my breath and head above the waves. It's just one after another. I am trying my best to make sure my son has everything and everyone he needs. I have some really great friends and neighbors that are supportive and helpful. On a positive note, I have attached 2 new pictures of our mascot taken this morning. I took him to PetSmart with me last week. We put him on a scale and at 5 months he weighed 39.2 pounds. I hope these pictures cheer all of us up at least a little bit today because let's face it, if there is nothing else that can make you smile it's a puppy face. I just ask if everyone could just send some prayers my way and when I am ready I will privately message you about everything that's been going on. Here's our beautiful boy. 

IMG_20231108_090641833.jpg

2.5 MB of 2.5 MB
Silver Conversationalist

Thank you for posting Kimberly. He definitely is a beautiful pup! Glad he's with you and hope you get to feeling better.

1 comment (Tuesday11/7/23)

โฐ  WITH TIME...

Living "humans" come into our lives for a SEASON AND A REASON.

Some STAY, some LEAVE.

Just KNOW, that ONE DAY/NIGHT we will UNDERSTAND why.

Took me a YEAR to figure this out. Spent way TOO MUCH time TRYING to "hang onto" humans who needed to EXIT my life!

Their EXIT was because THEIR season/reason had EXPIRED or they were NO LONGER/HAVE NEVER been "destined" to be in your life.

It is a FREEING feeling once we realize this and it ALSO "encourages" us to IMPROVE upon our "relationships" - old, new and potential.

So get out there. Be BRAVE. YOU can do it!!!! ๐Ÿ˜Ž

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Nicole @SpringIsHereSoHappy,

Reading your post about living humans in your life reminded me of a chapter in a book I am reading. The book is Build the Life You Want by Arthur C. Brooks & Oprah Winfrey. There is a chapter about friends and they are described in two categories "real and deal." Your real friends are those close friends that you confide in and the relationship endures and the deal friends are ones that serve a purpose in your life (or maybe you serve a purpose in their life) for a period of time and then it ends.

You described the process well. Identify who these people are and how they fit into your life. If their purpose or your purpose is over, it is ok to let go. If however they are someone that you respect, admire, confide in, trust, etc., invest the time and energy to maintain that relationship over time.

Marcy

๐Ÿ‘ฃ  1 Step At A Time!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Iโ€™m so lonely without Ron. It hurts my heart.

I leave our place to run an errand and then come home to Ron not being there. When does it stop hurting. I canโ€™t imagine it will.thank God for our 2 fur babies.they comfort me and sleep with me.

Silver Conversationalist

Im so sorry your missing your Ron. Holiday season can make the missing more intense. I try to keep things simple. Knowing that going through loss isn't easy. But with loss there's also growth.For your Ron where he is. And where you are. Have you looked at the Signs From Loved Ones topic on the forum? I believe our deceased loved ones are closer than we think. More will be revealed as we travel this journey. Take care, and look for the ways Ron speaks to your heart.

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

AARP Limited Time Offer: Memorial Day Sale! Join or renew for just $9 per year when you sign up for a 5-year term and get a FREE gift.

More From AARP