Take a look at how people age around the world with this AARP special report: A New Age.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP Caregiving Summer Break Contest

Message 81 of 1,088

I care for my mother who has short term memory loss after being in a coma for 2 months from and asthma attack. It is very hard sometimes on myself and my family, but we always remind ourselves how grateful we are to still have her with us.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 82 of 1,088

My name is Melissa and I often share in the caregiving of my father who has Parkinson's.  I found even the small breaks while he was napping or while someone else was able to stay with him while I shopped helped.  I appreciated the chance to be by myself for a little while and destress.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 83 of 1,088

We are planning on a family vacation to Disneyland. It's fun for a multi-generational trip since we can all feel like kids again!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 84 of 1,088

I am a caregiver for my grandmother who has Alzheimers.  My grandmother has always wanted to see the ocean but was never able to. This year we are planning on take her to the ocean as we have noticed her alzheimers is getting worse and may not be able to get around as well in the future. We have everything planned out and are excited to take her in a few weeks. This has been a little overwhelming to plan but we have ironed out all of the details and things have all come together.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 85 of 1,088

Our daughter, who is paralyzed and medically fragile, always traveled with us during our younger years. As we grew older it became more and more difficult to care for her away from home. We then began having her take a week or two at a respite center while we either took a trip or needed break. Recently, at age 56 when we could no longer lift her, she moved into a long term care center. It is important to seek whatever alternatives are available. Caregivers need respite too!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

caregiving

Message 86 of 1,088

I havent thought about a break/vacation, but if was able to i want to take my youngest kids 4 &6 to Disney World. the lady i help can ride the rides with us just can not wals all the way. She's never been and its on her bucket list.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 87 of 1,088

Caregiving is hard. It hurts but it's worth it to care for the person who raised you

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 88 of 1,088

Occupied sign? Where are you traveling that doesn't have door locks?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 89 of 1,088

Honestly, this summer we had to forfeit our summer trip in order to be able to afford something big we are working on.  Instead, we took many mini "staycations" and explored the city's offerings on days when it wasn't too hot or crowded.  Sometimes you don't have to travel miles away to escape.  I hope you all had a fun and safe summer, I will you a wonderfull Fall.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 90 of 1,088
A vacation that takes that much prep and accommodation may seem very daunting, but it's so worth it in the end. The look on your loved ones face and the memories you carry with you forever. And knowing you did everything to make them have a super time is very rewarding.
Kudos
Views