From travel insurance to fraud protection, AARP has you covered. Take a closer look at your member benefits.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP Caregiving Summer Break Contest

Message 91 of 1,088

This summer has been about bringing my father in law back to his birthplace and summer home.  He is 92 years old and was born in the country of Lebanon.  It was not easy to get here.  It takes 2 flights and at least 16 hours of flying time to get here from NJ.  We brought him here for the summer and it has been a bittersweet trip.  He has been sharing his memories of his childhood but is having a tough time because all his friends are gone.  But it is good as a family to be here all together. My sisters in law are here. My son and several nieces and nephews and their families are here. We have from my father in law to the 6 month old great grandson here in the old homestead.  We have been playing cards and having big lunches and dinners together.  Good memories to share from the old generations to the new.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 92 of 1,088

My grandpa used to be the most active and outgoing person I knew. He taught tumbling, had his own business and everything. He would act and sing and was always open to trying new things. That's when money became a problem. He trusted a guy with his money and buinsess that he never should have trusted. Eventually he lost most of his money and it made him depressed. He argued a lot with my grandma and eventually they decided to separate. This didn't help with his depression and he slowly started to change. He became more distant and less dependant on himself and more on others. He started to lay in bed all day and take medicine more than he should. His new wife did her best to take care of him but it became too much. That is when it was decided he should be put in a living home. They didn't take very good care of him there and he ended up going to the hospital for sepsis. My dad had had enough and brought him to live with us. It was amazing to see how much patience my mom had with taking care of my grandpa. My dad also was so selfless in letting is dad stay with us. None of his other siblings rarely offered to take care of him or come see him. I remember taking care of my grandfather was well. It was hard to see him lose his memories and not recognize my younger siblings. It was hard and eventually it got too hard, especially when his mom passed, he shut down and so did his body.  I miss my grandpa everyday but I know he is in a better place. My parents were amazing.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 93 of 1,088

Hi. Am 60 and live with my daughter, son in law 12 yr old gradaughter and two 5 year old twin boys. I am the 1 who needs the break. I love and adore the kids but I see them and babysit them 5 days a week. Money is limited and I don't drive or have many friends. What can I do?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 94 of 1,088

I like spending time with my grandkids in the summertime.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 95 of 1,088
Sometimes it's nice to just take a day trip, perhaps a museum or a special garden. The arts can be very soothing for all and it is a wonderful change of pace for not a lot of money. Many museums and galleries have handicapped ramps and so on. Some even have a restaurant. A fun and relaxing day can be just a quick trip away!
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 96 of 1,088

I have had challenges travelling with my husband.  He is on oxygen and uses a scooter but nevertheless we make a point to take a vacation. 

Always by car and always preplanning.  The problem is trying to find places that are handicapped accessible.  This year we drove to Tn and found it to be very accommodating.  Just make sure you plan ahead and make frequent stops.  Sometimes it gets difficult but he looks forward to it because I still work full time.  Little things matter even if it is just 1 night.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 97 of 1,088

It's hard to get away when you have no one to watch mom.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 98 of 1,088

I loved spending time with my grandma.  She was a wonderful cook and baker.  When she moved into a retirement home, I started making her special recipes and taking them to her whenever I visited.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 99 of 1,088

I took care of my grandmother who had lung cancer. Within 2 years prior, she lost her son and her husband to illness. I took care of her for 7 months. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 100 of 1,088

My mother-in-law died at 90. I can relate.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors