Science is honing in on better ways to treat chronic pain. Read about it in this AARP series.

AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP Caregiving Summer Break Contest

Message 11 of 1,088

Sounds like you lucked out with her! And you were a handful Smiley Happy I love hearing that you so aware of what she did for you and that you take such joy in doing for her. Really - the fact that you identify what she loves and make sure she can do it - priceless! That is love in action!!!

Take care,

Amy Goyer, AARP Family & Caregiving Expert

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 1,088
It is SOOO worth it. She married my dad when I was 7 (married a guy with 4 kids). I was a handful - a tomboy in the 70s who wanted to play sports with the boys. It did lead to a little trouble. She was there for me through every surgery and hospitalization, broken fingers and toes, sprained ankles, cracked ribs, a sliced open finger... everything.
Then, when I was in my 20's, first she had a compound ankle fracture. It required surgery and rods being inserted. She couldn't use crutches, so was wheelchair bound for 3 months. A few years later she had hairline fractures of her C-3 and C-4 vertebrae and a broken collarbone in a car accident. We got her through that. A few years after that, she had hernia surgery and ended up with a major infection (ecoli and salmonella in the wound) that almost killed her... we got her through that.
Then she had some pretty good years, but has arthritis in her neck, back, and ankle. She uses a walker 60-70% of the time, but loves swimming.
The girls love her so much. We try to visit at least once a month and every year, we go on vacation and the lake or someplace with an accessible pool are our first priority. It is what works for us.
Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 1,088

@CarolynE960730 You are an amazing daughter and your mom is a lucky woman! Thinking creatively ahead about all of the details that need adjusting to make that kind of a trip work isn't easy (I know - I had many trips and outings when caring for my sister and both of my parents for many years). And no matter how much we plan there is always some unforseen glitch that throws things off - that's why flexibility is such an important trait to have when caregiving! Kudos to you! What an impact those trips have on your mother's quality of life...and so many good memories with grandkids...and the healing water. I'm sure it's worth all the effort, right?

Hope you have many more joyful moments with your mother in the future! 

Take care,

Amy Goyer, AARP Family & Caregiving Expert

Author, Juggling Life, Work and Caregiving and

Color Your Way Content When Caring for Loved Ones

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 1,088

We get together at Mom's place because it is just easier.  Too hard to tke her anywhere  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 1,088

My husband is unable to travel now.  He is rarely even able to get up & go sit outside anymore.  My daughter had ordered a gait belt to be sent to us when he first started having mobility issues.  Together with a transfer board, it has been a huge help to us. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 1,088

very nice

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 1,088

When planning a trip to the beach / lake, we have to take a lot into account.

Walking difficulties, hills or steps, asthma, arthritis, and a bad back do not make a good combination. And the distance to the nearest restroom can be daunting.

On our last vacation, we stayed "within walking distance" of the lake. Apparently, we were on the "wrong side" for my mom to get down to the beach. The stairs were too steep for her, so I drove her around to the other side. The stairs weren't as steep and there was actually a path beside the stairs that she could navigate easier than the steps themselves. Since there was no parking nearby, the kids went down with her while I drove back and then walked down myself.

Luckily, there were restrooms up above on the side she could navigate. When it was time to go, I went back and got the car to pick Mom up. Everyone had fun, and Mom enjoyed spending time with the kids in the water where her difficulties seemed to melt away.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 1,088

I am traveling to Disney with my family this Novemeber and am glad to have AARP backing us.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 1,088

my mom could definetly use a break she takes care of my father who has been recently diaognosed with dementia. she does her best and she does everything to take care of him. it would be wonderful if she could just have some time to herself. i love her oh so much and she is the greatest person i have ever have the foutune of meeting

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 1,088

This is a fabulous message! My mom is 85 in a few days and livews full time with my sister. We speak with her often and go out and see her, and she'd beginning to be a handful, but I agree with you, seeing her eyes is much better than the alternatives. Take care.

Kudos
Views