Looking for a part-time job? AARP's online career fair Jan. 24 can help! Register for free.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP Caregiving Summer Break Contest

Message 11 of 1,085

We get together at Mom's place because it is just easier.  Too hard to tke her anywhere  

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 1,085

My husband is unable to travel now.  He is rarely even able to get up & go sit outside anymore.  My daughter had ordered a gait belt to be sent to us when he first started having mobility issues.  Together with a transfer board, it has been a huge help to us. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 1,085

very nice

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 1,085

When planning a trip to the beach / lake, we have to take a lot into account.

Walking difficulties, hills or steps, asthma, arthritis, and a bad back do not make a good combination. And the distance to the nearest restroom can be daunting.

On our last vacation, we stayed "within walking distance" of the lake. Apparently, we were on the "wrong side" for my mom to get down to the beach. The stairs were too steep for her, so I drove her around to the other side. The stairs weren't as steep and there was actually a path beside the stairs that she could navigate easier than the steps themselves. Since there was no parking nearby, the kids went down with her while I drove back and then walked down myself.

Luckily, there were restrooms up above on the side she could navigate. When it was time to go, I went back and got the car to pick Mom up. Everyone had fun, and Mom enjoyed spending time with the kids in the water where her difficulties seemed to melt away.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 1,085

I am traveling to Disney with my family this Novemeber and am glad to have AARP backing us.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 1,085

my mom could definetly use a break she takes care of my father who has been recently diaognosed with dementia. she does her best and she does everything to take care of him. it would be wonderful if she could just have some time to herself. i love her oh so much and she is the greatest person i have ever have the foutune of meeting

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 1,085

This is a fabulous message! My mom is 85 in a few days and livews full time with my sister. We speak with her often and go out and see her, and she'd beginning to be a handful, but I agree with you, seeing her eyes is much better than the alternatives. Take care.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 1,085

Getting away with a loved one is always a special time even if your their caregiver. Just remember patience it's not always easy but time is so short and every day could be the last. Cherish every memory even if it's hard getting the accommodations for the trips is well worth it. I cherish every moment with my mother in law. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 1,085

We are planning to go to the Redwoods before summer ends. Some people in my family have difficulty walking/hiking so we plan to take in the sight seeing slowly and enjoy every step of the way that we have together. Can't wait to take photos~!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 1,085

Every summer we take my mom up to New Hampishere where she grew up.  She still has a friend up there and we make sure she visits there.  When we go it take more time because we have to stop every hour so she can get out of the car and walk around because of all her arthitis.  We also make sure everyone goes to the bathroom.

While up in New hampishere we stay in a cabin and take all our food and we have a kitchen, so we can eat in because she gets tired easily.  We do a activity every other day and then take a day off and it helps that we don't have to go out to eat all the time.  I precook everything and just heat up when we get there.  We usually stay a week and it is nice and relaxiing.  

Kudos
Views