Get the information you need to help care for your eyes at the AARP Eye Center. Visit it today!

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: AARP Caregiving Summer Break Contest

Message 31 of 1,088

Great

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 1,088

I would load up my wife and all my grand kids and take them on a vacation. They haven’t ever been on a real vacation before. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 1,088

Never had kids of my own, but started fostering a couple kids in need.  Hard to travel, but my life is so much richer now than it ever was.  Wouldn't give it up.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 1,088

I know exactly what you mean when saying friends and family do not understand the situation. It can be both fullfilling and exhausting to be someon's full-time caregiver especially with no support system. I am my husband's caregiver and our sons and their famillies don't understand and some of them are unwilling to try to understand.

You should be able to request a cot to sleep on instead of the floor. You might want to add to your supplies with wetwipes, extra bed pads and plastic bags for wet clothes.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 1,088

My husband and I don't have vacations due to all the complications and constraints involved with his paralysis which put him in a wheelchair and my own health issues. We do, however, go on day trips with a fully charged chair and some emergency supplies (i.e. bottles of water, wipes, meds and a urinal) in case we get stuck someplace which has happened. We are usually less than 50 miles from home. We recently had a ramp attached to the back of our van to travel with the wheelchair. In February we went to dinner and the Shriner's circus at the fairgrounds. We had a fantastic time and didn't need to use the facilities. It was bitterly cold and snowing that evening and it took me an hour to get the chair on it and strap it down. I hope we can go again next year in nicer weather. It now takes me less than ten minutes to strap the chair down.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 1,088

My husband and I don't have vacations due to all the complications and constraints involved with his paralysis which put him in a wheelchair and my own health issues. We do, however, go on day trips with a fully charged chair and some emergency supplies (i.e. bottles of water, wipes, meds and a urinal) in case we get stuck someplace which has happened. We are usually less than 50 miles from home. We recently had a ramp attached to the back of our van to travel with the wheelchair. In February we went to dinner and the Shriner's circus at the fairgrounds. We had a fantastic time and didn't need to use the facilities. It was bitterly cold and snowing that evening and it took me an hour to get the chair on it and strap it down. I hope we can go again next year in nicer weather. It now takes me kess that 10 minutes to strap the chair down.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 1,088

My name is Kirby.

I won't disclose to you my real age.

I planned a vacation to Iraq, so I can learn the culture here. I want to visit all the countries in the world before I die, and that's why I'm visiting this country.

I'm going to be sharing my tickets with my friends, so we can enjoy the experience together.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 1,088

I have been caring fro my elderly, disabled mother for almost 10 years. We are coming up on our first vacation in November, it's not really a vacation as it's a celbration of life for my Aunt (my mothers baby sister) who passed in April. It has turned into a family reunion as everyine seems to be going. We are traveling to Virginia, we live in Florida. I have lists of everyhthing I need to bring and I keep pouring over them thinking I'm forgetting something. She is oxygen dependant so I need to bring the concentrator plus her nebulizer, pills,inhaler, absorbant panties, bed pads, pillows, bed wedge (she can't lie flat down as she can't breathe). I've just been informed that we have to share a bed, which means I'll be on the floor because she wets the bed nightly. I'm very stressed out about this trip as most of the family thinks I should be working outside the home as well as caring for mom, but they don't realize she can't be left on her own and refuse to see it. I'm hoping this trip will change their views somewhat. This was not supposed to turn into a complaining session but I have no one to talk to about these things, sorry. I am hoping tha Mom seeing everyone will cheer her up, she misses her sister badly, they spoke daily. I have been all over the AARP site looking for tips and tricks and it has been very helpful. Wish me luck this November. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 1,088

My husband is on dialysis so we have to take that into consideration on all plans.  We either need to find and plan for treatment while away or just do a day event.  Day trips are more of what we are doing currently but would love to be able to plan another beach trip.  Planning is the key to whatever our plans are.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 1,088

its hard can can be dun

Kudos
Views