Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Week 1 Healthy Eating Contest 2020: Gut Check

Community Manager
Community Manager

Week 1 Healthy Eating Contest 2020: Gut Check

GUT CHECK: Eat probiotic-rich foods three days this week June 1-7, 2020.

A majority of the body's immune system is located in the gut. Deficiencies in good bacteria can inhibit the immune system from working at its best. The fix? Include probiotic-rich foods such as yogurt, kefir, sauerkraut, kimchi, miso, kombucha, pickles and olives in your diet three days per week.

Share your experience and a photo here for a chance to win a $100 gift card!

AARPTeri

HI,

I just started playing around with making coconut kefir because of this program since I read how rich in probiotics it is.

Itโ€™s a feast for my tastebuds and gut bacteria. Easy to make. This nutrient rich food tastes kinda like dessertโ€”yet it's good for you. 

Here it is with cream on the top. Yum!

Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 11.03.05 PM.png

Periodic Contributor

there is something calming about your picture, it looks like it stands 10 ft tall! good job!

0 Kudos
Contributor

That looks amazing!!

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

We love making our own homemade yogurt in our Instant Pot. So healthy and delicious! We freeze in fun shapes for the grandbabes and serve with fresh fruit and granola. I included my recipe. Don't be overwhelmed by the steps! I just put in a lot of information to help ๐Ÿ™‚ 

Instant Pot Greek Yogurt.jpgOur Homemade Yogurt.jpgOur Homemade Yogurt 1.jpg

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I love yogurt - and my Abby-Girl loves to lick the cup when Iโ€™m finished.๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ’•

744239B5-5265-45DD-A817-5C9AFF32D22A.jpeg

Contributor

Kombucha is a great way to add probiotics to your diet while hydrating with a low calorie beverage. 8 ounces is 32 calories.
Contributor

Kombucha is a great low calorie beverage to add probiotics to diet.  8 ounces is 32 calories.Kombucha is a great low calorie beverage to add probiotics to diet. 8 ounces is 32 calories.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I eat low sugar granola for breakfast. For the yogurt I use half unsweetened yogurt and half of a flavored yogurt (today's was cherry). Then I add spices like ginger and cardamom. Delish.yogurt and granola.jpg

Periodic Contributor

A healthy start to each day!A healthy start to each day!

At least five times a week I include Greek yogurt in a meal, sometimes breakfast, sometimes lunch!

Contributor

Get Your Probiotics On And Enjoy! Steel cut oats mixed with orange, pear, pineapple, wheat germ, chia seeds and cucumbers (yes, they're great!). Topped off with greek yogurt. Pro tip: What gives it a fresh zing? Lemon or lime zest. Cinnamon is great, too! Eat for breakfast and don't eat again until dinner; it's so filling!

Add lemon or lime zest for a fresh twist!Add lemon or lime zest for a fresh twist!Add any fruit (or vegetable) you like!Add any fruit (or vegetable) you like!A terrific breakfast ... or any meal!A terrific breakfast ... or any meal!

Contributor

Greek vanilla yogurt with honey nut cheerios and fresh blackberries............yum!

Change up the fruit and/or cereal each day!

Periodic Contributor

My husband is German so we eat a lot of sauerkraut and cabbage.  We like to eat them with potatoes and sausages.

20200605_181909.jpg

Periodic Contributor

I drink Kombucha every day to help with my IBS.  My favorite brand is Synergy with a lot of different tasty flavors.

20200605_180231.jpg

Periodic Contributor

427E6C5D-41AD-4DF2-AB04-E2BEF031DDBC.jpeg

Periodic Contributor

Week 1 Healthy Eating Contest

Saurakraut with ham, onions, potatoes, and mushrooms stew.

Beverly Stoskus

image.jpg

Periodic Contributor

I have been eating Greek yogurt for breakfast three times a week. I enjoy sauerkraut, will try kimch. I have eaten miso, drank kombucha, really like pickles and olives three days per week. 

0 Kudos

Breakfast: rice cake, peanut butter, banana slices and honey. Great start to the day.

0 Kudos

I had a excellent experience eating and drinking healthier choices and I have not craved greasy foods since I've been eating a Vegetarian and Vegan Alternative permanent diet plan with Gluten FREE+Probiotic Rich+Low Carb+Low Salt foods non stop daily.

20200605_142507.jpg

20200604_062931_HDR.jpg

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

15913831259087609287532685245834.jpg

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

Today I ate just flavored oatmeal. But a few days ago, my husband bought blackberries and I ate 2 boxes of them in a week. Then he bought 1 blackberry and 1 blueberry box. 

We eat a salad almost every dinner, we have olives in them all the time, besides all the other fresh veggies. My husband has a big garden, I can't wait until stuff starts growing. 

I can't go out because I have COPD, asthma, and noncontagious TB so he does all the shopping,.

Live For Today, No One is Guaranteed a TOMORROW !
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Oh Snap for Pickles Everyday.jpg     Oh Snap Hot Pickles with Salad below 

Boddy C
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Salad always includes sauerkraut Sauerkraut makes everything taste better!.jpg

Boddy C
Contributor

We add sauerkraut to salads and vegetables throughout the year. Sauerkraut increase the flavor and reduces any digestive problems.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I enjoy oatmeal topped with yogurt and fruit (usually berries) at least four mornings every week.

Linda

0 Kudos
Contributor

Kefir daily, saurkraut with dinner, kefir with walnuts or mixed berriers

for breakfast.

IMG_1587518527896.jpg

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

C82E46CC-AD1B-4BE2-BAC0-6317B3C18F3B.jpeg

0DD8A7F9-2142-493D-A39C-3E8F08A3B3C0.jpeg

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I have enjoyed Greek yogurt, fat free, unflavored, with a bit of honey, fresh berries, and a touch of granola for many years. It is a healthy snack and very delicious and it fills me up! Plus, it is super good for your digestive system, as well!Perfect breakfast or snack!Perfect breakfast or snack!

Contributor

I take probiotic in the form of specially made yogurt. It's all home made from Organic milk turn into yogurt. All the excess whey is drained off to make it denser than Greek yogurt. To this is added pistachios, saffron and Stevia to turn this Shrikhand into a very tasty, healthy and gut loving delicacy, especially since I am diabetic and this nutritious food keeps my health & keeps my energy up.ShrikhandShrikhand

Super Contributor

This looks great! I never thought of adding saffron to yogurt. How do you mix in the saffron? Do you grind it?

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

We love olives! Tasty, tangy little snack.DEB618F4-5B8A-47A7-90CB-E546A36D6264.jpeg

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP