Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Week 1 Healthy Eating Contest 2020: Gut Check

Community Manager
Community Manager

Week 1 Healthy Eating Contest 2020: Gut Check

GUT CHECK: Eat probiotic-rich foods three days this week June 1-7, 2020.

A majority of the body's immune system is located in the gut. Deficiencies in good bacteria can inhibit the immune system from working at its best. The fix? Include probiotic-rich foods such as yogurt, kefir, sauerkraut, kimchi, miso, kombucha, pickles and olives in your diet three days per week.

Share your experience and a photo here for a chance to win a $100 gift card!

AARPTeri
Periodic Contributor

So did I miss something? Who won? thanks

0 Kudos
Contributor

I'm having 1 pound of assorted berries with 1 cup of yogurt and 3 tablespoons of chia for lunch 5 days a week since March 15 and 16 ounces of ginger lemon kombucha every day. 

0 Kudos

Mixed some greek yogurt with fresh blueberries, pineapple, crushed walnuts, topped with a sprinkle of cinnamon and a drizzle of honey. Very satisfying lunch. 

Also added olives to my salad and soaked cucumbers in vinegar with red onion.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I lost 40lbs. Eating green and plain yogurt.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Frozen fruit Greek Yogurt.!!!!!!!!!!   

0 Kudos

Greek yogurt with local honey for my morning snack and homemade pickles with my lunch later.  AARP.jpg

0 Kudos
Contributor

eating  3  meals  a  day  is even more  important  today  than  everBob picture.jpeg

0 Kudos
Contributor

On July 3, had yogurt with walnuts and raisins and a swirl of honey.  One of my favorite breakfasts!

0 Kudos
Contributor

Gut check,  homemade yogurt and it worked!  Now I get to make no knead bread with all the whey. Can't wait to eat them together.

15929167407652137457722114006487.jpg

Trusted Contributor

Where can I mail a photo to enter?

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Olif   A link to the official rules are included below.  You must post the photo to the current Week 4 (link: https://community.aarp.org/t5/AARP-Rewards-Connect/Week-4-Healthy-Eating-Contest-Scrap-This-For-That...) to enter.

Prize Contest: To enter the Contest, log in to your AARP account and visit AARP Rewards forum (https://community.aarp.org/t5/AARP-Rewards-Connect/Step-Up-to-the-Plate-Weekly-Healthy-Eating-Contes... between June 1, 2020 at 9:00 AM Eastern Time (“ET”) and all entries must be received no later than June 30, 2020 at 12 PM ET.  Entrants are responsible for determining the appropriate beginning and ending times in their respective time zones. Only one (1) entry per individual per week. To enter the contest, participants post a response to the post and additionally they must upload a photo to their contest post. 

Official Contest Rules:  https://community.aarp.org/t5/AARP-Rewards-Connect/AARP-Rewards-Healthy-Eating-Contest-Rules-June-20...

AARPTeri
0 Kudos

Greek yogurt and fruit for breakfastGreek yogurt and fruit for breakfast

Greek yogurt and fruit for breakfast

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

맛있습니다 (masitseumnida)

Fermented foods offer good-gut probiotic bacteria, the same healthy Lactobacillus bacteria already in your gastrointestinal tract which contributes to digestive & immune health. For a fast Kimchi, I mix sauerkraut with Kimchi to kick-it-up a notch. Use kimchi in stir-fries, on burgers, as a side dish, or in your favorite Korean dishes. Excellent on brown rice  with stir fry veggies!  This pro health probiotic , long-lasting, ingredient, that literally gets better with age, can be easily homemade with many tutorials online. 

• Probiotics in Kimchi detox the body
  • Counteract inflammation and control the growth of disease-causing bacteria
  • Produce vitamins, amino acids (protein precursors), absorb minerals and eliminate free radical toxins
  • Control asthma and reduce risk of allergies
  • Benefits your mood and mental health!

맛있습니다맛있습니다

0 Kudos
Contributor

We have with lunch every day a slice of a pickle!  I have 2.5 oz turkey in a whole wheat, low carb tortilla, some cole slaw with Walden Farms zero calorie (no sugar, no fat), fruit -- like berries or half a sliced apple, and that pickle wedge! 

Hope that meets the probiotic for this week!  We've had it every day this past week!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I start my day with plain greek yogurt with a spoonful of homemade low sugar raspberry freezer jam for breakfast 3-4 times a week.  Yummy and so healthy!  

yogurt and raspberry jam.jpeg

0 Kudos
Contributor

My healthy breakfast green juice!!!

A3BA2E95-2E6F-4B43-B2E2-6E6E26115442.jpegIngredients: kale, spinach, lime, cucumber, granny green apple, mint leaves, and fresh pineapple 🍍Dr. Leigh

Carolyn J Leigh
0 Kudos

I make Greek yogurt in my Instant Pot twice a week.  I mix the finished yogurt with mangoes, strawberries or blueberries for a tasty extra boost of fruit.   My husband and I eat 6 ounces every single day for lunch.  

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Try a yogurt and cereal mix for breakfast or lunch.  Add fruit and call it a sundae.

0 Kudos
Contributor

tuna.jpg

Tuna sandwich on toast and pretzels make a lite lunch choice...

0 Kudos
Contributor

Oatmeal (non-sweetened), fruit (blueberries or raspberries are the favorites) and plain Greek yogurt are my daily breakfast fare. I substitute plain Greek yogurt for sour cream in recipes, too. Banana bread is a

perfect example!

42BE4A73-C055-4CAB-B03E-70EFE52BA320.jpeg

0 Kudos
Contributor

Store bought Celery Soup is so salty! So I made my own from a crock pot recipe.                                          Healthy and Delicious!  from cgraben1@yahoo.com20200609_153439.jpg

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have started replacing mayonnaise and sour cream with Greek yogurt. Once in a while I Might add a tablespoon of mayonnaise for flavor

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

At lot of people don't care for pro-biotic rich Sauerkraut, but, coming from a German family, it was served quite a bit. I wash it so I can get a lot of the salt off, and cook it with, what else, wurst. Try a Chicago dog, with kraut, onions, pickles, and mustard. You'll love it.kraut.PNG

0 Kudos
Contributor

I make kimchi (it's not as hard as you would think) from green beans,Green bean kimchiGreen bean kimchi carrots & radishes in my garden

0 Kudos

Every morning I have a smoothie made with Greek yogurt, spinach almond milk and blueberries

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Yogurt dressing for healthy dinner bowlYogurt dressing for healthy dinner bowl

I used Greek yogurt as the dressing for these healthy dinner bowls I made (garbanzo beans, asparagus, oranges, almonds)... Delicious!

0 Kudos

Probiotic happy this week 🙂

0 Kudos
Contributor

1591705560685515873163642216308.jpg

I enjoy Greek yogurt with fruit and walnuts or pecan.

Contributor

Eating kimchi!

image.jpg

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Breakout® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP