Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

AARP Rewards Healthy Plate Contest, Week 4, May 24-31st

Community Manager
Community Manager

AARP Rewards Healthy Plate Contest, Week 4, May 24-31st

Welcome to the final week of our AARP Rewards Healthy Plate Contest, May 24-31, 2021

In honor of National Burger Day (5/28) and Memorial Day!  We want you to share how your healthy eating ideas and tips work during a long holiday of eating!  Share them here and get 50 AARP Rewards point as well as a chance to win our Week 4 topic.  Rules: https://community.aarp.org/t5/AARP-Rewards-Connect/AARP-Rewards-Healthy-Plate-Contest-2021-Official-... .  Click here to see information on the contest

AARPTeri
Periodic Contributor

Trying to continue to exercise, drink plenty of water and limit the snacking.  Not doing anything special for the holiday, just relaxing and enjoying the weekend.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I tend to or at least try to eat what I want during holidays. I eat smaller portions, increase water intake and try to be more active to make up for the extra calories.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I love to go to the public market and get farm fresh fruit and veggies to make fruit salads and I add veggies to my fruit salads to get the most flavors out of my salad. 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I'm not going to a barbecue, or other big eating-focused events. But maybe, to kick off the season and celebrate National Burger Day, I'll make a veggie burger! I'll opt for a black bean burger or one made with lentils...I prefer those to the new faux meat options. The latter can be helpful for a meat eater who wants to switch out red meat in some meals or for a transitioning vegetarian.

I'll serve with a leafy green salad -- though if it was later in the summer and I could get good tomatoes I'd just do tomatoes, cukes & red onions. 

If I was going to an actual barbecue or had a grill, I'd grill some vegetables, but I don't, so I'll either do corn on the cob (if I can find good corn yet, ideally from NJ) or a quinoa & chopped vegetables tabouli-style side dish. 

Must finish off with big slices of juicy watermelon!

0 Kudos
Contributor

As soon as the weather warms up I take salads for lunch until the weather cools again and then I switch back to Lean Cuisine.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@ChristineA690584 From one Christine to another, welcome to the on-line community.  So glad you have jumped in and are responding to posts. ---  Christine

0 Kudos
Contributor

Munch on raw celery or carrots while preparing a healthy meal.  Then make that meal a bit smaller than you think it should be.  You'll still be satisfied.  Works year-around.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Eat less, exercise more and drink lots of water.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Drink a glass or two of water when you first get up.  Have a glass of water in sight when you can.  Stay hydrated.  Drink a glass of water before each meal.  

Contributor

This really works. Sometimes when I think I'm hungry I'm actually only thirsty and water is satisfying.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Why not try a meatless burger for the holiday? Beyond and Impossible are two new brands that taste VERY much like "real" meat. Skip the bun and wrap it in lettuce.

Super Contributor

Teri@AARP:

No grilling for us this weekend will be doing the same as usual routine at this time due to the virus & maintaining the distancing so everyone stays healthy while we all still go through this event one moment at a step.

Keeping the fresh produce, fiber, protein, whole grains, maybe a Dunkin donut for a "treat" unlike a fresh celery stalk with peanut butter. (no burgers either Teri this weekend for us)

Maintaining the healthy in this with exercise & getting outside for fresh air fresh view fresh scenery.

Guess we are not the same up to par (grilling & eating) with the Veterans' Holiday yet we have our Flag their honor.

Stay Healthy!!!

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

If you really feel the need, use one day as a cheat day but do not go too crazy. Sugars are killers and they are in most every baked or canned goods. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

For Memorial Day, weโ€™ll use a low fat ground beef to make a burger on our charcoal grill along with a whole wheat bun, lettuce, tomato and red onion.  Add some high fiber baked beans and a low fat salad.  Yummy!

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@modav  Sounds delicious! Is there room for two more.  ๐Ÿ˜„  ---  Christine

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I usually pick one day out of the holiday weekend to enjoy some fun treats but watching portion sizes to keep things in check.  Throughout the weekend we will enjoy fun outdoor group exercise activities to keep everyone moving and having fun together:  volleyball, group walks, swims, etc.  Make it about being together and not just eating together.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@RobinR799295  You make a very good point.  Extra physical activity can help balance a little splurge.  Or just say this day is going to be a cheat day and enjoy.  Got to do that now and then too.  A super strict eating plan without occasional treats, will set most people up for totally over doing it, and often for more than one day.  Got to give ourselves a little grace, and be kind.   ---  Christine

Social Butterfly

@AARPTeri If you are going to someone's house for a meal, eating a light healthy snack before you go, may help you from overindulging.  If hosting a gathering, including soup at the beginning is very filling.   ---   Christine

0 Kudos
Contributor

Living in Florida makes it easy to be healthy. I have year round access to all types of fruits and vegetables. The biggest key for me was to remove unhealthy items from my house. If I donโ€™t have the cookies and cakes readily available, then I canโ€™t eat them. 

Social Butterfly

@wr28185844 Welcome to the on-line community.  Love that you are jumping right in.  You have excellent  advice.  That's why I don't have Wheat Thins ( olive oil and pepper version ) anywhere in the house.  Pair that with cheese, and every morsel would be consumed in an embarrassingly short time. Crunchy salt, delicious!   ---  Christine

Periodic Contributor

For the healthier summer barbeque, try mixing those wonderful veggies into your meat for grilling burgers. It adds juiciness and color. or for a different mix, put in some oatmeal to make use of those oat benefits, and enhance with your favorite herbs to spice up the flavor!

Social Butterfly

@FrancetteH903709 That sounds delicious!  I've been using oat flour to make my banana nut muffins.   ---  Christine

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Moderation and portion control work wonders on long holidays of eating! This way you can have whatever you want, as long as you don't overdo it.  ๐Ÿ˜‰

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

If you do not have a lot of room but still like fresh items - check out Back to the Roots, sold at Wal Mart. I grow mushrooms and brocolli sprouts year round in my living room!

Social Butterfly

@TWC Thanks for the tip.  Would like to learn more about indoor sprouting.  I've bought "micro greens" and added them to veggie sandwiches.   ---  Christine

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Either check out Back to the Roots website or most Wal Marts have a decent variety of their products.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Our springtime weather has continued to be colder than normal so tried and true soups with lots of vegetables continue to keep us healthier than burgers and fries that are more traditional warm-weather fare. We also continue to eat a lot of salad greens, at least one meal every day. The newer salad 'kits' found in grocery stores make it easy to avoid having the same taste day after day.  Plus the local fruit stands and gardeners' markets are due to open within the next few weeks so that will fill in our fresh fruit and vegetable intake as my raised bed garden plants mature.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

If you are driving any distance bring a small cooler with nuts, fruit and veggies

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

If you are going to a party, eat something good for you before you leave so you will not be tempted by all those sugar laden desserts

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP