Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

AARP Rewards Healthy Plate Contest, Week 1 May 3-9, 2021

Community Manager
Community Manager

AARP Rewards Healthy Plate Contest, Week 1 May 3-9, 2021

Welcome to Week 1 of our AARP Rewards Healthy Plate Contest, May 3 - 9, 2021

This week we are looking for ways to improve your eating habits!  Tell us what you have done to improve your eating habits and get 50 AARP Rewards point as well as a chance to win our Week 1 topic.  Rules:  https://community.aarp.org/t5/AARP-Rewards-Connect/AARP-Rewards-Healthy-Plate-Contest-2021-Official-... .  Click here to see information on the contest.

Entries for Week 1 must be posted between Monday, May 3 and Sunday, May 9, 2021 to be eligible. 

AARPTeri
Contributor

I find that I cannot have certain temptation foods in the house because when I am overly tired or upset I will seek out these foods.   We eat veggies and/or salads every day.   We never fry and use our gas grill or oven for cooking.  We eat fruits instead of fruit juices.

Social Butterfly

@JulieCunha , Can totally relate.  Have learned that crackers of any kind ( even the so called "healthy ones" ) will make me wanted to eat, . . . well let's just day, a ridiculously large amount of cheese and crackers! My husband likes to prep carrots and celery and store them in mason jars with water filled nearly to the top.  They last longer that way.  Christine

When it's getting late at night and I get to craving a snack before bed. I just grab a small handfull of almonds (about 15-20) and slowly munch on them. Instead of the bag of microwave popcorn that I used to eat. I still get the crunch, just not all the fats, etc.

Trusted Contributor

trying to eat less of everything

0 Kudos

Simply limiting quantity of food at meals, looking at better foods (whole grain / sprouted breads), maintaining a time window (8 hours) for eating meals, and an increased activity level (brisk walks, AARP workouts, and small exercise sessions for toning (weights, sit-ups, push-ups)).

The activity aspect helps the eating aspect by allowing me to feel energized, do not have desire to snack, and small yet steady weight loss promotes continued improvements on eating, exercising, and health (both mental and physical health).

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I am 3 weeks plus doing no sugar and almost no carbs. 

Periodic Contributor

I include some sort of raw produce with every meal.....as a side dish, but it must be uncooked.

Periodic Contributor

Iโ€™ve been all about making sure I get my 8 glasses of water daily. I find I feel fuller and snack less. 

Super Contributor

Terri:

I've been eating more fresh fruits & vegetables since they've been given & more salad (vegetable) its like a treat along with more yogurt & granola. I even got to make fresh cranberry sauce after the end of the year events.

Stay Healthy!!!

Regular Contributor

Since my husband has serious cardiac issues we have begun a very low sodium diet which means we do a lot of cooking with fresh ingredients, no prepared foods, lots of fruits and vegetables. We've bought many recipe books and watch lots of cooking shows to learn how to cook and eat better. We also work out 4-5 days a week.

Recognized Social Butterfly

Well, my plate is full of greens and fish and desert is Fruit. Word to the wise I also exercise 30 minuets to 1 hour a day. Thatโ€™s a great way to complete your Plate

Racquel Evans
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Before COVID I had a weekly routine - I went to line dancing class on Monday, Chair Yoga on Tuesday, and Zumba Gold on Wednesday and made a grocery stop. Now I order my groceries from a meal kit service which limits portions and prevents me from purchasing unhealthy "snack attack" items. I have replaced my in person classes with online and streaming options. Still, I have gained and now am introducing walking since the weather has improved.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I am a member of WW & had lost 75 lbs prior to Covid. I gained 22 lbs during Covid AFTER I returned to work. I learned I am a stress eater. I am having to give myself some self talks to keep myself on track & to work the program. 

Good for you!  if you can take a short walk during lunch or a quick walk down the hall to help relieve stress and change of scenery. 

0 Kudos

My husband and I have been trying to improve our eating habits. We are trying to eat more slowly and focus on our food - practice mindful eating. Also, we try to drink a full glass of water before meals and continue to drink water during our meals.

Periodic Contributor

My husband and I do everything we can to watch what we eat.

We go for long walks. Do everything we can to not eat out during the week, except on most weekends. We also make sure we are not only eating healthy but buying healthy at the same time. Any time we go to food pantries, we give out to our neighbors what we can't use or don't want.

Contributor

Portion control and healthy choices. I eat lean protein and lots of fruits and vegetables.

0 Kudos

We've been using smaller plates and making sure that 3/4's of the plate is filled with vegetables.  It has definitely improved our diet ๐Ÿ˜Š

0 Kudos
Contributor

My doctor said that to lose weight, I should avoid carbs and dairy. So I will eat either Oikos Triple Zero yogurt or eggs for breakfast, nuts for a snack, maybe a protein smoothie for lunch, and whatever my fabulous husband prepares for dinner.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I have many tricks when it comes to eating healthier.  One of the simplest for me is to try to avoid any food that has it's own commercial on television.  You know, like fast food and alcohol.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I replace eggs with eggs whites and flaxseed meal for half of the butter in my muffin recipes. Muffins turn out tasty. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I follow a Weight Watcher plan that focuses on more protein, less sugar and less fat.  Iโ€™ve lost over 50 lbs and was able to eliminate one prescription.  Plus Iโ€™m eating more vegetables and fruits which help deter many health issues.

Contributor

Every meal needs veggies and protein.  I still like my animal protein but eat smaller portions.

I don't drink juices, I eat the whole fruit. I drink flavored zero calorie water and avoid sodas. I make my own coffee with sugar-free creamer and avoid the high calorie and high cost of restaurant-bought coffees. These tips have worked for me!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I try to keep a plate of cut up vegetables, like sweet peppers, cucumbers, celery, carrots, jicama and more, on the table at all times. No dip, just vegetables. They are a healthier alternative to crackers and other snacks and also help fill us up.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I have been gradually switching my consumption from mainstream products to cleaner healthier small-batch brands.

0 Kudos
Contributor

We love roasted vegetables like butternut squash (or sweet potatoes/red potatoes combo) with sweet yellow/red/orange peppers, poblano peppers, red onions or shallots, and garlic, with olive oil and S&P (or many other combinations). Even though I'm only cooking for two these days, I fill the oven with several pans of veggies. Then we can have them for dinner with meat or fish, and veggie bowls for lunch the next couple of days.

Contributor

We bought and use smaller plates for meals to help with portion control. Knowing you can always get '2nds' if you want lets us start with less and helps maintain healthy eating habits.

Periodic Contributor

I have found that tracking on an app such as my fitness pal really helps me keep my eating under control!  It will break down my carb, fat, protein intake to help me make sure I am eating the right foods.  It also encourages you to exercise more to be able to consume more healthy foods in your day! ๐Ÿ˜Š

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP