Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

AARP Rewards Healthy Plate Contest, Week 1 May 3-9, 2021

Community Manager
Community Manager

AARP Rewards Healthy Plate Contest, Week 1 May 3-9, 2021

Welcome to Week 1 of our AARP Rewards Healthy Plate Contest, May 3 - 9, 2021

This week we are looking for ways to improve your eating habits!  Tell us what you have done to improve your eating habits and get 50 AARP Rewards point as well as a chance to win our Week 1 topic.  Rules:  https://community.aarp.org/t5/AARP-Rewards-Connect/AARP-Rewards-Healthy-Plate-Contest-2021-Official-... .  Click here to see information on the contest.

Entries for Week 1 must be posted between Monday, May 3 and Sunday, May 9, 2021 to be eligible. 

AARPTeri
Conversationalist

Soup and salad are now my staples! Every week I cook two pots of soup: one is shock-full of green vegetables, the other is a bean or lentil or grain soup. The former is for the evening meal, the latter for a more substantial lunch. Composed salad for lunch and green salad for dinner as well!  You see it's not a healthy plate for me, only healthy bowls! 

Periodic Contributor

That is fabulous.  What do u use for dressing?  I eat similarily.  I eat whole foods plant based no salt sugar oil or try to.  I have found many recipes and books that makevit simpler

0 Kudos
Contributor

Each meal, I microwave up a bag of my favorite veggies (spinach or broccoli) and add them to whatever I'm eating. Simple, inexpensive and adds delicious, healthy and fiber-filled yumminess to my meals. 

Contributor

In addition to making our diet mostly Mediterranean with heavy emphasis on vegetables, grains and fruit based meals, we brush our teeth immediately after dinner and hang out the CLOSED sign in the kitchen at 7pm!

Periodic Contributor

Last year, 2020, we regularly took advantage of sales on strawberries, blackberries, raspberries and blueberries.  We froze them in single batches and in mixed batches.  Throughout the Winter, and now Spring, we have thawed a container of these healthy berries to eat either with or meals or as an dessert afterwards.  I even froze batches of strawberries & rhubarb that I cooked into a sauce, which we use on pancakes now instead of sugary syrups.  All fiber rich and full of vitamin and healthy nutrients!

Contributor

Eating healthier is easier for me by staying hydrated. I increased the amount of water I drink. It help me feel full so I eat less.

Social Butterfly

About an hour before dinner, I eat four or five cookies to reduce my appetite, then I eat less dinner.

Periodic Contributor

There are healthy cookie recipesusing whole grains fruits and even zuchini

0 Kudos
Contributor

FUNNY!!!!!

Trusted Contributor

T try to stay out of the room with the food.  I don't have to go through the kitchen for most things so that helps.  I do not try to eat as much as others in my group whether out and about or home for the long haul.  I try to avoid buying the stuff that makes me want more.

Contributor

I use a smaller plate for my food. That way it looks like I have more to eat. 

Periodic Contributor

We try eat dinner earlier in the day. Then take at walk at regular dinner time. 

Contributor

I’m a life member of WW (Weight Watchers). I’m encouraged in a healthy lifestyle and eating.

0 Kudos
Contributor

We have a large green salad every day. Greens may include one or more of the following: kale, baby greens, romaine, cabbage, spinach. We vary what we add using raw vegetables, sauteed mushrooms, beans, salsa, or fruits like berries, oranges, mangoes, etc. If we need dressing we make it with nuts instead of oil. We also eat nuts and beans every day. We have gained a new appreciation for the flavors of fresh and unprocessed food. Both my husband and I have lost weight and never felt better. We also have found that as we aged, our appetites have decreased. We are now perfectly happy eating two highly nutritious meals a day.  

0 Kudos
Contributor

Cutting back on sugar and sugary drinks

0 Kudos
Contributor

I am eating 3 servings of veggies a day

0 Kudos
Contributor

I hope this is where I put this entry!! AARP doesn't always make things clear enough for those of us who are not electronically inclined.
We invested in a small air fryer to make our plates healthier. It isn't big and fancy but enough for the 2 of us. A small investment for a time saver, money saver, time saver and cooking healthier.
It does veggies great (fresh or frozen) and with little to no oil. A chicken breast or even a small steak is wonderful. We have little waste because it makes enough for both of us if we watch our portioning. There are some frozen bagged dinners, can be bought for a reasonable price, that can be prepared in the microwave. This is our way for the healthier plate.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I have never followed any diet plan, counted calories or points or anything else, just tried to eat sensibly.  Then my metabolism seemed to grind to a halt overnight, and I no longer could maintain my weight on my regular routine.  Several years ago I started inserting one or two "500 days" into my week (never on consecutive days) - it was surprisingly easy to limit my eating on those days to 500 calories, still getting plenty of protein and veggies.  Although every 500 day has its own benefit, the real improvement came in the fact that I suddenly became much more aware of serving sizes and just how many calories there are in foods that were part of my normal diet.  The upshot is that my eating habits are now better on "regular," non-500 days, too!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I am virtually teaching younger children while at home. I prepare snack size healthy snacks rations such as nuts, fruit, vegetables , etc. I use those throughout the day so I won’t get up from my seat to grab the wrong snack. Once in a while I’ll make a bag of favorite chips. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Re: The Healthy Plate Contest:

I have been giving Meatless Mondays" a try! Found a Vegetarian cookbook at Goodwill and have been experimenting with more plant-based meals. It's been fun!

Also have been learning how to use spices in place of so much salt. That's been a work in progress..

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Healthy Plate Contest  I use lemon, orange, or lime juice & sometimes the zest, to brighten my food, add a flavor boost, and skip the salt. Fortunately I have a meyer lemon tree which bears fruit nearly year round, and a navel orange tree. I do have to purchase limes, but the additional flavor is worth it.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

We joined an organic farm CSA and we get a variety of vegetables, fruits, and herbs delivered every week. Each week after we receive our share we plan meals around all the fresh vegetables  we receive and experiment with new dishes and cooking methods. Also we use the herbs to flavor food instead of salt. The fruit and berries make delicious desserts.

Periodic Contributor

I started eating more water based foods like fruits and veggies as they fill me up more and help me to eat less. I also switched to whole wheat pastas and brown rice. A big part of what I've done, too, is measure out my food portions and only eat the proper portion sizes. I was overeating, so this helped me to eat only what was necessary to fuel my body. And guess what?  A good side effect was I lost weight in the process. I started back in January 2021, and to date, I have lost 33 pounds. I needed to lose weight and these strategies have helped. 🙂

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

We started to eat healthier by cooking and eating home all with fresh vegetables, whole wheat pasta, brown or long grain rice with some occasional chicken or seafoods.  We have also limited snacks to more healthier products with minimal deserts.  What a difference we are loosing weight, feeling and sleeping better.  Exercising more as we have more energy to burn.  Fresh and home made is the way to go....and limit the sugary deserts to occasional treats.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

We are eating healthy by cooking ourselves more.  We use less butter and more salads.  We still have sweets but in smaller portions.  I stop eatting by 8:00.  

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

I improved the eating habits for both my husband and me by not having junk food in the house.  We also grow much of our own produce, such as lettuce, carrots, tomatoes, bell peppers, herbs, and more, and it's all grown organically.  I addition, we have a few hens who provide us with delicious eggs daily.  It's so nice to go into the garden and 'decide' what we want for dinner. We don't frequent fast food places.  The foods we purchase at the grocery store are all organic, and healthy choices.  Do we every cheat?  Occasionally, but then we get right back on track with healthy foods.  Regarding junk food, the less we eat it, the less we want it.  

Contributor

I am a bit confused as to how to enter this contest. Is this where I post what I am doing to improve my eating habits? If yes, I order vegan prepared meals from The Vegetable Butchers in nearby Ormond Beach. They are chefs who send out a menu with many selections to their clients once a week. I choose the meals and they are fully prepared, then delivered to my home once a week. They meals are delicious, varied, easy to heat. 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

We have reduced our plate size to a small flat plate filled with protein*vegetables*Grains*fruits* and dairy(on the side) This change has sustained us to no end and has provided a more balance approach to eating for us both . Using the "chooseMyPlate.gov. guidelines introduced to us by the free Giant of PA online cooking classes has provided in so many ways.

We realize the importance as we age to eat well but eat less in a balanced format to provide.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I’ve started portion control and counting calories. I make sure I have 3 servings of vegetables and two fruit servings a day. I’m

on a 1200 calories a day diet. So far I’ve lost 6 lbs in three weeks. Once I get use to my portion sizes I feel I’ll be more in control of my weight. I also walk at least one mile a day. 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP