Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Surviving Divorced Spouse benefit

Message 1 of 3

@MarieR258994

Sounds like you would be eligible for at least some of his benefit as a divorced surviving spouse.

It could be reduced because you started your SS benefits early - and you are not yet Full Retirement Age either. 

Here are the rules and a screening tool for you to assess this type of benefit for you.

Benefits.gov - The Social Security Surviving Divorced Spouse Benefits

check out the Benefit Eligibility Tool

You can have your determination and amount done by SSA and you will be given the higher of the benefits.  Your Medicare benefit will also be assigned based on how you get your SS benefit and the appopriate prefix assigned to the number.  That is no big deal - there is no health benefit change.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Surviving Divorced Spouse benefit

Message 2 of 3

@MarieR258994   Do you already have a Social Security Account set up.  https://www.ssa.gov/

Is the Social Security site where you are getting your information from? If so and you know you will get more money taking his SS payment why not go ahead and request the change?

Make sure you look at this too. Look at bottom of article for this, If your spouse or ex-spouse is deceased.

https://faq.ssa.gov/en-US/Topic/article/KA-02011

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views
Replies

Surviving Divorced Spouse benefit

Message 3 of 3

Hello.  I am 65.  My ex husband passed away in August of last year.  We were married for 20 years, we have been divorced for 25 years.  Neither he or I got remarried.  

His social security benefit is greater than mine.  I have been collecting for 2 years, I don't know if that matters.

I am reading about the surviving divorced spouse benefit.  Am I entitled to his full benefit amount for the rest of my life since it is more than mine, and I am of retirement age?  

Also if this is true, I wonder if they will backdate payments from  his date of death. 

I appreciate help with this.  I am getting confused reading about the different spouse benefits.  I keep trying to call the social security office but never get through.

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Top Authors