Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Share your concerns about Social Security

Message 61 of 320

Reply to: wl8409

A person should know if the amount of social security withheld from their pay had tax payed on it or not.

Around my third year with the Fire Department I know there was a change in the laws and our SS, Retirement and Insurance was deducted before taxes were figured on the rest of our income.

Posted by,
cat0w
Texas (USA)

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 62 of 320

What is the status of the repeal of the WEP and the GPO?  Both are unfair to public servants who have a pension and thus can not collect the full amount of SS they deserve...Is AARP working to address this issue.  If not, they should.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Share your fears about Social Security

Message 63 of 320
I am very concerned about what they based the no COLA raise on. From everything I have read & heard it's based on inflation (of gas). Well, gas may be down, everything else is up. Prices go up in the grocery stores from week to week! I'm barely hanging on.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 64 of 320
Why is SS benefits taxed if your other pension income exceeds $50,000? The contributions to SS while u worked was taxed already, right? I'm sure matching contributions by your employer were taxed also. But if not, I should not pay more than 50% on my benefits. Sounds like double taxation to me.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 65 of 320

@mh53321653 wrote:

What concerns me the most is the recent 57% !!! Rate increase in the monthly premium! I am astounded that this is even legal? I understand that increases are a fact of live, however, this level ofn crease is outrageous for seniors to absorb, especially since there was no increase for the cost of living index!  Is AARP tackling this issue?

This increase in Part B premiums was only for newly eligibles to Medicare.  IOW, those that are not covered by the hold harmless clause in Social Security. 

The increase to the newly eligibles was toned down some by the Budget deal in 12/2015; course we will all have to make it up whenever we do get another COLA.

You do understand how these Medicare Part B premiums are set, don't you?  They are set by what the actual cost to the program turns out to be.  The government covers about 75% of Part B cost and this comes out of General Revenues.  Part B premiums makes up the other 25%.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 66 of 320

@Baren wrote:

My wife had ssi due to her disabilities but they kicked her out at 62 because I was retired and was recieving too much money from disability ss.

Living in Texas we are denied medicade due to our republican governor won't expand it . She found help with a county hospital district . It isn't insurance but a pay program that goes by income .We qualified but since I am 65 I chose to use outside doctors with my medicare program.

My wife worked all of her life and paid taxes and this is how our government treats her when she needs help . Something has to give in the future or older Americans will do without proper care and die early .

If your wife worked all of her life and paid taxes, I am assuming that this was for earned income, then she should be able to qualify for her own Medicare benefit at 65 and her own Social Security Benefit (early retirement age is still 62; Full Retirement Age is now 66 + some months).

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 67 of 320

I am referring to the Medicare premiums increase of 57%. ! In my earlier post.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 68 of 320

What concerns me the most is the recent 57% !!! Rate increase in the monthly premium! I am astounded that this is even legal? I understand that increases are a fact of live, however, this level ofn crease is outrageous for seniors to absorb, especially since there was no increase for the cost of living index!  Is AARP tackling this issue?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 69 of 320

My wife had ssi due to her disabilities but they kicked her out at 62 because I was retired and was recieving too much money from disability ss.

Living in Texas we are denied medicade due to our republican governor won't expand it . She found help with a county hospital district . It isn't insurance but a pay program that goes by income .We qualified but since I am 65 I chose to use outside doctors with my medicare program.

My wife worked all of her life and paid taxes and this is how our government treats her when she needs help . Something has to give in the future or older Americans will do without proper care and die early .

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 70 of 320

"...SSI is totally un-funded...".

SSI is supplemental security income, dispensed under SS. You only get this if disabled and a number of other requirements. You can't take it at 62 unless you fulfill other requirements.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views