Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Share your fears about Social Security

Message 1 of 322

@r522470d 

The part paid into the system by your employer as a match to your contribution wasn't taxed -  so just think of it as paying tax on that amount.

Whatever taxes you may pay on your benefit goes back into the SS Trust Fund and helps it to continue.

I don't understand your question on "cost of living".

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 322

I have a sensible question regarding the "cost of living" increase.

parity is needed but where does it come from?  The system itself needs to be re-evaluated as to how and where our taxes are being appropriated.

i just learned that I will now be taxed for money that I paid into the system for nearly 50 years.

its worse than paying a bank to withdraw your money (ATM fees).

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Share your concercurity

Message 3 of 322

@AimeeV753757 wrote:

I have an issue with social security saying i owe an overpsyment and i have asked for an appeal. They havent gave me my date yet but they took my tax refund. I am found guilty and punished without the chance to defend myself is this correct?

Did you file form SSA -632 and were clear about your reasons?  Did you hear back from them on any reconsideration?

Social Security Admin - Publication - OVERPAYMENT

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 322

Sounds like Social Security overpaid you in prior months and IRS is paying itback  from your tax refund. 

Why is SS claiming they overpaid you?  You should have gotten letter explaining what you owe back , how its was computed, and why.  If you are talking a few hundred dollars,  can't SS take it out of you future checks assuming SS is right.  Or if you are fraudulently getting SS, (say $10-20K in past payments), you need a lawyer to defend you cuz you willingly committed fraud.  Some people dont tell SS when a parent died, still getting monthly SS checks (and cashing them)  for deceased.  They think SS and US wont find out...WRONG!!!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 322

I have an issue with social security saying i owe an overpsyment and i have asked for an appeal. They havent gave me my date yet but they took my tax refund. I am found guilty and punished without the chance to defend myself is this correct?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 322

I share your views of Social Security, there are so many things going on and a blind eye says nothing, when will this change, these are our elected officials who we vote into office.  Mid-terms are coming along this is the time to vote for change, someone who will stand up for us as we are the majority!!!   Remember we have the power if we vote for change. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: Share your concerns about Social Security

Message 7 of 322

No concerns at all. Everything is awesome.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 322
  • I would like to know if AARP is fighting for seniors on these topics that are important to us.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 322

Iam new to make sociale sécurité

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 322

you have to wait 2 years before you can get medicare if you are on SSDI. 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Ask the Expert: What advice do you need to better manage your stress and anxiety?

Clinical Psychologists Barry Jacobs and Julie Mayer will answer your questions on how to cope with the major life change, anxiety, and sadness we are all facing these days. Ask a question now and tune in live on May 27, 3-5 p.m. ET.