Take a look at aging around the world in 'A New Age,' a special report by AARP and Magnum Photos.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Share your concerns about Social Security

Message 101 of 320

Why can't our government replace all the money the took from social security ?

All the money paid in by our parents and family that have died should be in there to help offset the future but our government keeps robbing it .

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 102 of 320
I believe US spend so much money playing big brother to the rest of the world that we neglect our own. Take some of those money packages we give to other countries and build up the social security system. Do not make retirees and others suffer because of cuts and or pay adjustments. Stop taxing social security, taxes are paid our whole life into the system.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 103 of 320
This is a nightmare situation. I was in. another state when this happened to me. I was traveling for my co. and spent no more than a few days to a week at most in a hotel. This was prior to internet, computers, etc. I don't remember how I resplved the situation at the time , I know it was Extremely difficult. Good luck.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 104 of 320

For at least 30 years the GAO and others have warned about the long term financial stability of Social Security. Recently the CBO has raised its concern. Meanwhile Congress has dhas not been serious about solving the problem. I think a person is a fool to rely on Socila Security or to trust Congress. I am not wealthy, but I am taking resposibility and using mutual funds for my financial needs. I started investing 22 years ago. I don't depend on Congress for anything. People need to be resposible and look out for number 1.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 105 of 320

My biggest concern is the fact that they may reduce the amount of my monthly check. i have already read a few articles on the fact that this may come true. The articles go on to say that this is an issue that capital hill is already discussing. We cannot let this happen!! There are many more retired citizens that are deawing less than what I am and i know that this would devastate most of them. So, I ask; what can we do about it?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 106 of 320

@peachykeen8 wrote:

Because our CONGRESS has created incentives that shipped most USA jobs away from USA there are many less workers paying into the Social Security fund so there is alot less money going in!!.

This fact is one of the main reasons SS may have problems in the future..  THE SOLUTION!!  CONGRESS must get off their ___________ and create incentives to bring manufacturing and other jobs back to the USA!!!!!

Government revenues are at an all time high. It's not money coming in that's the problem, it's all the money going out.

Incentives to bring jobs back? That costs money which means higer taxes. Pay American wages? That means higher prices.

The only way the government can get out of the mess they've made is to inflate prices to where they SS checks are worth next to nothing. They've made a pretty good start on it the last few years. The FED publicly says that they want inflation and no one seems to worry about it or even ask why.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 107 of 320

Social Security isn't our money and never has been. They could end the whole thing tomorrow and there's nothing, legally, we can do. The Court ruled a long time ago on that. Everything we put in was taken right out and spent on other government programs without it even showing up as deficit spending or government debt. There's nothing in the "trust fund" but IOUs from the government to itself.

As long as more was coming in than was going out, it was a great ride. Now the bills are coming due. The deficit spending is now visible to the public. The total debt is growing by leaps and bounds. Not only is the government unable to grab all the "extra" money any more, but they have to start "paying back" those IOUs. The money just isn't there. Why do you think the government WANTS inflation? 

I don't count on Social Security. Unfortunately that means I also don't see being able to retire any time soon and I'm already pushing 60 and in a wheelchair with a bunch of titanium holding my back together.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Share your fears about Social Security

Message 108 of 320

Unfortunately, it's *not* your money once the government gets it. I know that's what they always imply, but legally, it isn't. 

U.S. Supreme Court ruled that Americans have no contractual rights regarding Social Security benefits. In 1960 (Flemming v. Nestor), the court said, "To engraft upon the Social Security system a concept of accrued property rights would deprive it of the flexibility and boldness in adjustment to ever changing conditions which it demands".

The government will either stiff us outright or, more likely, cowardly politicians will pretend to honor their promises by printing so much extra money to write the checks that the dollar will be worth pennies.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 109 of 320

"....This fact is one of the main reasons SS may have problems in the future..  THE SOLUTION!!  CONGRESS must get off their ___________ and create incentives to bring manufacturing and other jobs back to the USA!!!!!....".

And what kind of incentives could there be? In China, India, Honduras, people can be paid a couple of dollars an hour. That's why i see no solution. We can offer companies huge tax incentives (which takes money away from all of us), but we can't match $2 an hour wages. That is the biggest 'challenge' to a globalized economy.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Share your fears about Social Security

Message 110 of 320
They know that at your age you will have a problem changing jobs.. ie They;ve got you and they know it!! Your employers are real A__Holes to do this to you..
Kudos
Views