Highlighted
Periodic Contributor

Re: I am 62 and exhusband is 54

Message 121 of 326

As usual NOTHING talks about the situation of your exhusband being eight years younger.  Can't anyone answer this question????

Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor

Message 122 of 326

This site tells me nothiing about my situation.  I don't every see anything that tells me about my situation.  Please someone just answer my question.

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 123 of 326

Tapping Your Ex for Social Security Benefits… and Making ...

Here is link that explains all possible scenarios.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Re: Share your fears about Social Security

Message 124 of 326

@lori65202 wrote:

No one ever does anything about age discrimination.  I just found out a couple days ago at work that everyone was upgraded in their position ($2/hr. more) EXCEPT ME.  I am almost 63 years old and, even though I do the same work as the rest, they did not upgrade me.....

Post doesn't make sense. It one thing to not get a job in the first place because you have been discriminated against, and won't know it. But if you're telling the truth, then my understanding is that this is illegal and you have to call them on it. Are you telling us they told you that you're not getting a raise because you're too old??? 

Highlighted
Periodic Contributor

Message 125 of 326

No one ever does anything about age discrimination.  I just found out a couple days ago at work that everyone was upgraded in their position ($2/hr. more) EXCEPT ME.  I am almost 63 years old and, even though I do the same work as the rest, they did not upgrade me.  I am so angry I can't see straight.  All I can do is look for another job but they well know it will be very difficult at my age.  I am working two jobs to barely get by and they are keeping me in my poverty.  $2 more an hour would make my life more bearable but I have to continue with this lower salary because of this discrimination against me.  And this is a state university.

Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 126 of 326

Am I not getting any reply to this?????

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor

I am 62 and exhusband is 54

Message 127 of 326

I never see anything written about this dilemma.  I will be 63 in July and my exhusband will be 55 in June.  Because he is so much younger than me I guess this means I can't collect my 50% from him until I'm 75?  I want to wait until I am 70 to collect my own but don't know if that is possible since the job I have right now is very shakey.  If I was to lose my  job now there is no way I can collect now at 63.  I would have to do temporary work or something.  I would only get enough SS to make my $800/mo. house payment.  If I have to collect at 66 it is going to be very rough for me and I still can't collect anything from my ex.  I have very little savings and am unable to save now.  Is there any way out of this dilemma?  I do plan to file for SS when I am 66 and then suspend it....if I can and am not out of work.  Things look very dim for me and it doesn't seem right that I have to wait until I am 75 to collect from my ex (if his 50% is enough....he makes a lot more than I ever did).

Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Re: Share your concerns about Social Security

Message 128 of 326

Living on SSDI now for 10 years,which is the only source of income.To get any other help from any other programs is a joke,They put the minimum income at such a level that their is no way one can receive extra help.Would like to see washington live on what they send us monthly and see what they think then.No raise for 3 years,they say cost of living did not go up.I beg to differ.Groceries are alot higher,insurance higher,medical copays are higher this year.what gives Washington!!!!!!!!!!!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 129 of 326

@ma41669535 wrote:

".....Last year, I wrote to as many people in Congress and to the Department of Labor about age discrimination and never even had the courtesy of a reply.  That shows how much they care: not at all....".

This is an ongoing discussion that cannot be settled. The bottom line is that it's near impossible to prove that you are discriminated against because of age. There already are laws in place, but again, not able to use those laws 99.9% of the time as you have no proof. The feds can't do any more. You are being discriminated against by people responsible for hiring.  Hiring is always 'discriminatory'. Studies have shown people are hired, or not, based on dress, facial hair, weight, height, etc. You don't know if they don't like your looks, dress, demeanor, how you speak, how they perceive your attitude.  Government cannot help in this one-on-one type of situation that occurs everywhere, every day.

Highlighted
Periodic Contributor

Message 130 of 326

I'll vote for Bernie Sanders no matter what, since he is the only person running for national office who is discussing what used to be Democratic issues.  There is no point pointing blame at Obama - campaign finance laws make it impossible for anything to change as long as corporations are footing the bill for who gets to be in office.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Thursday, August 6 – Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall Event

1 p.m. ET - Coronavirus: Answering Your Most Frequent Questions

Call: 1-855-274-9507

Top Authors