Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Share your concerns about Social Security

Share your concerns about Social Security

1)     In the article,  Social Security Fears, many Social Security myths are addressed. What concerns you the most about Social Security? 

The reason why this is being called a Ponzi scheme is because the  Government under President Johnson raided the coiffers of the Social Security.  They took al the money and spent it.  Now people that are working today are paying for people that are currently on SS.  Sooner or later the money runs out, as more and more people are living longer and they are giving the SS benifits to illeagal aliens and all the others that scheme their way to being on the dole.  If I had every penny I put into SS in my life time and was able to invest it my way (even just with interest bearing CD's)  I would be on easy street today.  I have had no cost of living increase for 3 years in my SS. and in 2012 we are finally getting it.  That is because of a major increase in Part B and in the Drug program.  There also have been smaller increases over the past 3 years.  By the time it all shakes out, we should be in the same state we were 3 years ago.  That is nothing but pure Government BS under this President.  It is time to get Obama out of this office

I have been paying into Social Security since I was 16, and that is nearly 40 years now. I am threatened and frightened by the "SuperCommittee's" charge to reduce the defecit through de-funding Social Security and Medicare. I am especially concerned when the 55 - year cut-off is thrown about as a possibility. I have worked continuously in the US my entire life in government and non-profit agencies for nearly all of that time. How could my country turn their back on me? My husband is retired from the US Army and wonders the same. Please continue to advocate for all of us who are over 50, and not just make a cut-off at age 55.  Thank you.

I retired at 62and obtained SSI. I then was determined to be disabled and now obtaining SSDI. I was on a Medicaid program after I retired, due to a MVA, and chronic illness of 54 yrs. After SSDI was proclaimed I am now unable to continue with Medicaid due to money in an IRA: they call it resources, which I am not touching until 65. My husband is unemployed at present, so I have no health coverage at all. What Am I able to do until he goes back to work? Would appreciate any helpful hints, thank-you! I live in New Mexico.

In the latest AARP Bulletin, the editor, Jim Toedtman, asserts that the SS "administrative costs are practically nothing." Given the '08 admin budget was $9.6 Billion  http://www.ssa.gov/budget/2008bud.pdf and SSA employs approximately 62,000 people http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Security_Administration, I find $154,839 per worker is hardly nothing. This statement and most of AARP's alleged myths are unadulterated BS.

In Response to Re: Share your fears about Social Security:
Well, I'm on SSDI, can't work at all, and my monthly check has just been reduced by 400.00. This is due to  a new WEP process that figures your monthly payments differently than before - so I'm already freaked out - I have bills to pay and the amount I'm getting will put me in the hole - can't even afford to rejoin AARP this year......any ideas??
Posted by dougbarnes9

Hi dougbarnes9,

Did you know that AARP currently has a hardship membership offer? You can learn more about it on the AARP Job Hunting site.

I read an article that medicare premiums will go up quite a bit for 2012 and to right around $245.00 by 2013 is this true?  How do we find out what is going to be taken from our SS checks now? How can we, the retired, protect ourselves?  Who can answer and  who will?

In Response to Re: Share your fears about Social Security taxation without adjustments for inflation!:
My fear is the taxation of social security according to income.  It is one tax, the only tax that is not adjusted for inflation, never has been and it's so unfair to begin with.  We paid taxes when we paid our social security on our earnings already. When will our representatives do something to at least include "adjusting". I have written to our reps but everyone needs to do the same.
Posted by medinamg

I may be wrong, but if you look up info on ss, you will find that you have to be making a LOT of money to have your social security taxed....not an amount most of will ever make....check it out.
0 Kudos

My biggest fear about social security is that we don't always get the best, truthful information about what is really going on; who can we trust?  Republicans say one thing, Democrats another; AARP sometimes not a whole lot we can really understand....am I hopeless????

In Response to Re: Share your fears about Social Security : This is all lies, but I will give you a chance to give some facts that Obama cut the amount available. There are none.
Posted by JohnnyDoxx

The rate of FICA withholding on the employees was reduced by Obama last year to 4.2% (down from 6.2%) ,the employer , in my case a small business man, still pays 6.2% into each employees fund. You don't call that cutting the amount available???...................... er waht would you cal lit?
0 Kudos

I read an article that medicare premiums will go up quite a bit for 2012 and to right around $245.00 by 2013 is this true?  As we see no cost of living raise in the last 3 years it must be obvious to SS if they are raising our premiums that all things cost more. Over the years the government has borrowed from the SS fund and used it for other things and has not to date paid it back.  If they would pay back the funds they borrowed, maybe the fund wouldn't be in trouble today.  I think this should be of major concern..
Posted by bstjohn

OUR ELECTED OFFICIALS DON'T CARE ABOUT US.  THAT'S A FACT.  THE ONLY THING THEY WANT FROM US IS MONEY FOR THEIR CAMPAIGNS AND OUR VOTES.  THEY GET COST OF LIVING RAISES EVERY YEAR AND SUBSTANTIAL ONES AT THAT.  WHAT DO WE GET?  FINALLY IN 2012 WE GET A LITTLE BUT OUR MEDICARE GOES UP AND IN 2013 IT'S A GIGANTIC JUMP.  WE KEEP PAYING MORE AND GETTING LESS.  LARGER DEDUCTIBLES, MORE EXPENSIVE MEDICINES, GASOLINE PRICES THAT HAVE DOUBLED, GIGANTIC PRICES ON FOODSTUFFS JUST TO LIVE.  TOO MANY BILLS HAVE THESE "ADDITIONS" FOR THEIR PET PROJECTS.  HOW ABOUT MAKING SENIORS PET PROJECTS?  WE'VE BEEN PAYING IN FOR CLOSE TO 50 YEARS AND HAVE TO BEG FOR THE PITTANCE WE RECEIVE.  MEDICAL CARE SHOULD BE FREE.  WE DON'T CHOOSE TO GET SICK.  ALL DOCTORS SHOULD BE REQUIRED TO ACCEPT MEDICARE.  WHY SHOULD ONLY THE RICH HAVE ACCESS TO SUPERIOR MEDICAL CARE?   IT'S THE SAME WITH LEGAL REPRESENTATION.  THE RICH HIRE THE BEST AND LITERALLY GET AWAY WITH MURDER.  OH WELL, NEEDED TO VENT.  DOES ANYONE ELSE FEEL THIS WAY? DOTTIE
Posted by DOTSLA

Yes Dottie, I agree with a lot of what many people are saying. I have not yet retirement age and try not to follow politics too closely, but there appears to be some very knowledgeable individuals that have posted here so I will put some beliefs that I have in this forum and they can either confirm the validity of them or enlighten me with their knowledge. I believe that in our political system, that once an individual get elected to congress, they get a very lucrative retirement package when they retire or leave the political arena. This happens even if they only serve a single term. I have no idea who it was, but I recall in the news not long ago a politician was asked to resign and in doing so negotiated keeping their retirement package by resigning. The retirement amount was in the six figures. That individual was someone involved with some type of misconduct. Now, a regular politician, who doesn't care about their constituents and/or don't get re-elected because we vote them out really don't have much to worry about because there is a special retirement fund that congress gets their retirement benefits from, not the Social Security Administration. I think that if we really want the congress to get some creative ideas as to how to get social security more fair and lucrative for all of us, that all politicians need to get their social security benefits from the same fund we do and with the same COLA that we do. I guarantee that even if congress doesn't look out for us they will surely look out for themselves. I would appreciate it if the if our Forum Community will enlighten me as to whether or not what I believe is correct and if not please help set me straight. Thanks 

In Response to Share your fears about Social Security:
1)       In the article,    Social Security Fears , many Social Security myths are addressed.  What concerns you the most about Social Security?

I waited until I was 66 to begin receiving my Social Security, for which I have WORKED all these years.
And I am highly incensed every time some politician or economist calls Society Security an "entitlement."
(Boo . . . hiss!!)   And I was even more incensed to read in The Washington Post's Sunday article of 10/31/11
about Social Security that the government has used ALL of the funds from the Social Security Trust Fund.  Do we TRUST the U.S. government to pay back with interested, as required, these funds any time soon?  I know I sure don't. 

Because of this economy, I am still working full-time at 68 years old and see no end in sight unless I
become too ill to work.   

Your thoughts?

Dianne B

To keep SS solvent we should demand an immediate end to Obama's cuts in the SS taxes paid by current workers.  Is this part of a plot to kill SS by cutting funds available for payments?  Everyone knows the SS fund is in trouble.  He is only making it worse.  I paid FICA and my employer matched it every year.  Now when the economy is in trouble OBAMA cuts the money available to make SS payments. 
Posted by Golfnutoo

This is all lies, but I will give you a chance to give some facts that Obama cut the amount available. There are none.
0 Kudos

In Response to Share your fears about Social Security:
1)       In the article,    Social Security Fears , many Social Security myths are addressed.  What concerns you the most about Social Security? 
Posted by AARPMiller

What will happen to the many seniors who have little or no savings?  No children that can help, do we just disappear?

My fear is the taxation of social security according to income.  It is one tax, the only tax that is
not adjusted for inflation, never has been and it's so unfair to begin with.  We paid taxes when
we paid our social security on our earnings already.

When will our representatives do something to at least include "adjusting".

I have
written to our reps but everyone needs to do the same.

OUR ELECTED OFFICIALS DON'T CARE ABOUT US.  THAT'S A FACT.  THE ONLY THING THEY WANT FROM US IS MONEY FOR THEIR CAMPAIGNS AND OUR VOTES.  THEY GET COST OF LIVING RAISES EVERY YEAR AND SUBSTANTIAL ONES AT THAT.  WHAT DO WE GET?  FINALLY IN 2012 WE GET A LITTLE BUT OUR MEDICARE GOES UP AND IN 2013 IT'S A GIGANTIC JUMP.  WE KEEP PAYING MORE AND GETTING LESS.  LARGER DEDUCTIBLES, MORE EXPENSIVE MEDICINES, GASOLINE PRICES THAT HAVE DOUBLED, GIGANTIC PRICES ON FOODSTUFFS JUST TO LIVE.  TOO MANY BILLS HAVE THESE "ADDITIONS" FOR THEIR PET PROJECTS.  HOW ABOUT MAKING SENIORS PET PROJECTS?  WE'VE BEEN PAYING IN FOR CLOSE TO 50 YEARS AND HAVE TO BEG FOR THE PITTANCE WE RECEIVE.  MEDICAL CARE SHOULD BE FREE.  WE DON'T CHOOSE TO GET SICK.  ALL DOCTORS SHOULD BE REQUIRED TO ACCEPT MEDICARE.  WHY SHOULD ONLY THE RICH HAVE ACCESS TO SUPERIOR MEDICAL CARE?   IT'S THE SAME WITH LEGAL REPRESENTATION.  THE RICH HIRE THE BEST AND LITERALLY GET AWAY WITH MURDER.  OH WELL, NEEDED TO VENT.  DOES ANYONE ELSE FEEL THIS WAY?

DOTTIE

I read an article that medicare premiums will go up quite a bit for 2012 and to right around $245.00 by 2013 is this true?  As we see no cost of living raise in the last 3 years it must be obvious to SS if they are raising our premiums that all things cost more. Over the years the government has borrowed from the SS fund and used it for other things and has not to date paid it back.  If they would pay back the funds they borrowed, maybe the fund wouldn't be in trouble today.  I think this should be of major concern..
Posted by bstjohn

I feel if we get ride of obama things may look up a little,also need to fire reed and pelosi. we are going to get a small raise in 2012,and and raise of $3.30 to medicare,but there are some more in the house and senate that needs to go.

In Response to Re: Share your fears about Social Security : Wrong! Get your "facts" straight. The COLA effective Jan. 3 is 3.2%, not 6%. 
Posted by iamcharlie

Thank you for the correction.  I apologize.  As I said it was probably wishful thinking.  

In Response to Re: Share your fears about Social Security : The COLA in January will be 3.6%, not 6%.  The formula for COLAs was established a long time ago (I think in the '70s).  The formula requires no increase when the inflation rate is 0 or less.
Posted by shlmstr

I apologise.  You are correct.  It will be a 3.6% raise not a 6% raise as I stated.  I guess it was wishful thinking.  However 3.6% is even worse than what I thought!  I believe they need to re think that ancient formula.  It's  2011 now not the 1970's!  
0 Kudos

In January 2012 all Social Security recipients will receive a 6% cost of living raise.  I am on Social Security Disabilty since the age of 56.  My check isn't all that big to start with.  That will give me a raise of about $20 per month and then of course the cost of Medicare is going to go up also in January.  My medical supplement already went up $17 and my RX coverage is going up another $10 starting in January.  I'd like to know how the government considers this a reasonable cost of living raise when everything has gone up much  more than the measly 6% in the 3 years that we did not get a raise! How would all those big shots in the senate feel about a 6% raise in 3 years?  They wouldn't like it a bit!  But they don't hesitate to kick the elderly and disabled in the teeth when their down.  THEY took OUR money!  Now they don't want to pay it back so they sit around thinking up ways that they can keep from giving it to us. 
Posted by LaVonne57

Wrong! Get your "facts" straight. The COLA effective Jan. 3 is 3.2%, not 6%. 
0 Kudos

Well, I'm on SSDI, can't work at all, and my monthly check has just been reduced by 400.00. This is due to  a new WEP process that figures your monthly payments differently than before - so I'm already freaked out - I have bills to pay and the amount I'm getting will put me in the hole - can't even afford to rejoin AARP this year......any ideas??
0 Kudos
Contributor

I just lost my Medical due to the cost of living increase,now I do not have any medical insurance. What are seniors too do ?
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

To keep SS solvent we should demand an immediate end to Obama's cuts in the SS taxes paid by current workers.  Is this part of a plot to kill SS by cutting funds available for payments?  Everyone knows the SS fund is in trouble.  He is only making it worse.  I paid FICA and my employer matched it every year.  Now when the economy is in trouble OBAMA cuts the money available to make SS payments. 
Posted by Golfnutoo

It is amazing to see in this thread the amount of unthruths that you have posted in just one paragraph. do everyone a favor and if you really think that you have posted veritable information, please, provide facts to what you are saying.

To anyone else, reading this person's comments, please research on your own, and see that what he has stated is nothing but a lot of his own imagination.

no name
0 Kudos

Once you have been on SSI for 2 years and one month you are eligible to apply for Medicare.  Consult your SHIP representative for your area.  They will help you understand it all.
0 Kudos

I am new to receiving Social Security.  Last week I went to the grocery store and bought staples, many of which were not previously prepared foods.  When I arrived home, I went to my files and checked the same 19 items that I purchased this time last year and found that I had paid 30% more this year than last for the same items.  Gasoline has increased almost double (average) in the last 12 months.  Most federal employees, including US Congressmen, have received cost of living increases.  Some in the amount of 16% increase in one year, as per the US News reported on television.  I have been told that the Social Security recipients have NOT received even a cost of living increase for at least three years (as per local recipients).  Is there a chance that this inequity of passing out increases will be addressed?  And When? Jack V. Smith
Posted by Powderhorn63

__________________________________--
I am one of the government employees that works for Social Security that didn't get cost of living raise, my wages are being frozen for 3 years, no promotion are available, and they are talking about 30 day furloughs this year, reducing wages and pensions. I talk each day with every day folks that are struggling. Unfortunately the cost of living increases were based on the wage index and not need. The wages didn't increase due to the recession. SSA recipients will receive a 3.6% increase for 2012 and I am glad to see it even though I won't be included.
0 Kudos

I am 66 years old, and I lost my wallet and all my identification. What will I have to do to get my Medicare card replaced?

I am new to receiving Social Security.  Last week I went to the grocery store and bought staples, many of which were not previously prepared foods.  When I arrived home, I went to my files and checked the same 19 items that I purchased this time last year and found that I had paid 30% more this year than last for the same items.  Gasoline has increased almost double (average) in the last 12 months.  Most federal employees, including US Congressmen, have received cost of living increases.  Some in the amount of 16% increase in one year, as per the US News reported on television.  I have been told that the Social Security recipients have NOT received even a cost of living increase for at least three years (as per local recipients).  Is there a chance that this inequity of passing out increases will be addressed?  And When? Jack V. Smith
Posted by Powderhorn63

3% cost of living increase due in January of 2012!Cool

Wake up retired people and tell Congress we are tired of being picked on and being taken advantage of. We constantly hear how they want to change (cut) our Social Security COBRA because it cost too much or reduce Medicare because it costs too much.

We need to demand that Congress stop stealing from us and explain where all this money has gone. Example: we get our Social Security rounded off, down, after the $115.40 for Part B, in my case they keep $.60 now if you figure conservative that on the average it amounts to $.22 then for every 10 million people on Social Security that amounts to $2,200,000.00/month. At this rate they are keeping $26,400,000.00 per year for every 10 million recipients.

Itโ€™s time for Congress to tell the truth, stop stealing from us and clean their own house up first before they try and take more away from us.

I will qualify for Medicare in March 2012.  Where can I get information in advance on the cost of Medicare A, B & D?  Do you have to sign up for Medicare?  From the information I read on this message board, the amount deducted from your SS benefit for Medicare is more then I'm currently paying for an individual policy with ANTHEM - $ 224.00 per mo. Granted it's not the best coverage because of the high deductibles, but it's better then nothing.  Which part does the amount deducted from your SS benefit cover, A & B? And, then there is the Supplement Insurance and Part "D" premium, which is extra.  When you add it all up, where is the savings over private insurance carriers? Is the premium the same for everyone, regardless of their health and preexisting conditions?  I would like to do a premium comparison for the different plans available to me.  So, I would appreciate some guidance.
Contributor

IFrown ALL WE CAN DO IS GRIN AND BARE IT, WOULDN'T YOU SAY???  Response to Re: Share your fears about Social Security:
      This is  NOT  a good time to be just starting on SS and Medicare .   The future looks SCARY!!!     Even if you have another source (like some kind of pension  or an   IRA) it will come to the point where our country's senior citizens will be forced to "live on a shoe-string."     WHAT ever happened to the " Golden Age years " --respect and care for your elders??      Now that's one BIG JOKE!!! We must remember to pray for the souls of our politicials .   That's their only hope!!
Posted by whoopie4ray

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP