Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Share your concerns about Social Security

Share your concerns about Social Security

1)     In the article,  Social Security Fears, many Social Security myths are addressed. What concerns you the most about Social Security? 

My fears in re: are several.
1.  I don't understand how SS is going broke.  If the Government would pay back all the money it has "borrowed" from it SS would be solvent for the long foreseeable future.

2.  Why do they refer to SS an an entitlement?  I am 68 years old this month and have paid into SS for all my working life and my employers did as well.  That is MY money!  I earned it !  I can only assume the by "entitlement" the Government means it's the money they are "entitled" to help themselves to when ever they don't want to draw any attention to where they are using it.

3.  There would be no concern or fear foe SS if it was directly tied to other Government payrolls.  If we (SS) don't get a CLI then neither does anyone else who has a Government job get a CLI.  Result.....It would be forever solvent.

I guess these are my top three reasons for "fear".I am getting very tired of hearing about how we are building schools and roads for countries that hate us, fighting other people's wars when those people hate us, rewarding people who won;t pay their bill, forcing banks to lend money to poor RE risk and then bail out both the banks and to lendees. All the while the taxpayer has to foot the bill and "sacrifice" as our own infrastructure deteriorates.
Contributor

This is NOT a good time to be just starting on SS and Medicare.  The future looks SCARY!!!    Even if you have another source (like some kind of pension or an  IRA)
it will come to the point where our country's senior citizens will be forced to
"live on a shoe-string."    WHAT ever happened to the "Golden Age years" --respect and care for your elders??     Now that's one BIG JOKE!!!

We must remember to pray for the souls of our politicials
  That's their only hope!!
Contributor

In Response to Re: Share your fears about Social Security:
I am new to receiving Social Security.  Last week I went to the grocery store and bought staples, many of which were not previously prepared foods.  When I arrived home, I went to my files and checked the same 19 items that I purchased this time last year and found that I had paid 30% more this year than last for the same items.  Gasoline has increased almost double (average) in the last 12 months.  Most federal employees, including US Congressmen, have received cost of living increases.  Some in the amount of 16% increase in one year, as per the US News reported on television.  I have been told that the Social Security recipients have NOT received even a cost of living increase for at least three years (as per local recipients).  Is there a chance that this inequity of passing out increases will be addressed?  And When? Jack V. Smith
Posted by Powderhorn63

There is a 3.6% increase for SS scheduled for January
Contributor

Will we ever see an increase in our Social Secuirty again to help the rising cost of living. Darlene Krake
Posted by 19krake66

The SSA and congress are blaming the boomers "entitlements"  for the demise of social security, after they have fed the system through this countrys best economic times. In truth they have raided the trust fund several times and are reneging on payback.  If your personal bank did this to you it would be called fraud. Lastly, how does it happen that we and our employers can pay many thousands of dollars in SS taxes each year but certain individuals froze our statements.  How would that work at your bank also??  Recycle Congress.

Will we ever see an increase in our Social Secuirty again to help the rising cost of living. Darlene Krake
Posted by 19krake66

payments up about 3.6% in 2012

GOP Front runner Cain's 999 plan calls for abolishing Social Security and Medicare (New York Times, 11/13/11). Perry has called SS a ponzi scheme and unlawful. The GOP is against SS and Medicare by principle and would love to abolish/privatize them, as soon as they get in power, whether it be 2012, 2016, 2020, etc. And I don't believe their promises of not affecting those currently 50 or greater. They have a proven record of flip flopping and it is often a part of their plan. SO this issue is not going away; it is dangerous for us, and is dangerous for future generations. Should they get elected and abolish/privatize Social Security and Medicare, it will be a stupendous, catastrophic, disaster for the 10s of millions of poor and disabled elderly. Their only choice will be to wheel themselves out to th the trashcan and wait to die. This is the GOP plan for America in the 21st century, whether we like it or not. The day they get the power will be the day they begin their dismantling project. What is out only rational response? Is it to wheel ourselves out to the trashcan to die in misery? Of course not! We must therefore demand the Right To Die via a $99.00 Death Drug (we don't want any ahandouts). This is our only rational response because this "Dead Deal", the opposite of the New Deal, of the GOP is coming and nobody can stop it. Therefore we must do the only rational thing and demand the Right to Die. This is the unavoidable future of America.
Posted by GetRealQuick

Stop believing everything you hear from the leftist media.  This is just garbage as any rational person would know if they took the time to actually check the facts.  

I share "Get Real Quick"'s concern about what is ahead for  seniors and those who are almost seniors in this country. From everything we have heard from the GOP, we are probably doomed if we live out a normal life span.  I saved money out of every paycheck in addition to my SS contributions, all my adult life. I also used well known financilal  advisors to help me invest the money  for retirement. With three major  recessions, I have lost a great deal of what was to supplement my SS.  I can't imagine what the folks who only have SS coming in will do in the future.  Unfortunately, our political leaders on the right (and some of the left) simply do not care.  They just want to say what they think our population wants to hear at this point in time, in order to get in or stay in office. Life is difficult for a lot of people right now but  SS needs to be saved.  Our generation put the money in from every paycheck.  We did our part.  Oh yes, going private in the future?  Well, it  will almost guarantees there will be next to nothing left of your money when we retire. I know that from experience.  The stock market is simply too volatile to count on for retirement. Right now we need a lot of good ideas to "feed" our representatives so they can make better choices in saving SS for us and future retirees.  

[ Over the years the government has borrowed from the SS fund and used it for other things and has not to date paid it back.  If they would pay back the funds they borrowed, maybe the fund wouldn't be in trouble today.  I think this should be of major concern..

Note this fact: the government has never 'borrowed' nor 'stolen' money from the SS fund. The so-called Social Security Trust Fund is an accounting device, not a true fund.
All FICA payments from salaries have always gone into the general fund. All payments to SS recipients also come from the general fund.
See 'Social Security Trust Fund', on Wikipedia.

Actually SS is not in trouble, it is funded fully for 25 more years, (I,e,, there is enough income to match the outgo), then the outgo will be more than the income. However, since it all comes from the general funds, the outgo could ostensibly be paid from revenue from other tax, if the politicians choose to do so.

The reason for no increases in the past few years is that an accounting rule was made by Congress that derives the outgoing amounts from a measuremenet related to the Consumer Price Index. Obviously this comparison is not correct, considering that those items purchased by seniors are going up much higher than that.

A more real 'trouble' with the SS system is that the Republicans want to privatize it, sending some/all the income to private investment companies. Those investment companies will make billions, with no guarantees that they will continue to meet their obligations for payments to deserving recipients.

Hope this clarifies the situation.

New Effort to Reduce Drug Shortages a Small Step
November 2, 2011

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Unprecedented drug shortages are threatening the lives of cancer patients and other seriously ill people, and the Obama administration's plan to tackle them is but a small step toward solving a complex problem.

President Barack Obama ordered the Food and Drug Administration on Monday to take new steps to send out early warnings about looming shortages and try to avert them.

"Even though the FDA has successfully prevented an actual crisis, this is one of those slow-rolling problems that could end up resulting in disaster for patients and health care facilities all over the country," Obama said.

There's already a crisis in the eyes of many frustrated doctors and hospitals who are scrambling for supplies of medicines ranging from common chemotherapies, to anesthetics used in surgery, to the electrolytes that are crucial to IV feeding in intensive care. Fifteen deaths have been blamed on shortages. Patients have had treatments delayed, surgeries canceled, or had to use second-choice medications. Hospitals are reporting price-gouging -- such as a drug that usually costs $26 being offered for $1,200.

Sometimes, "you have to look the patient in the eye and say, `I can't treat you. I certainly can't treat you the way I meant to treat you,'" said Dr. James Speyer, medical director of the clinical cancer center at New York University Langone Medical Center.

"That's a terrible thing to have to do, and it's happening across the country," added Speyer, who said Obama's action is important but doesn't address one key part of the problem - drug profits. "Unfortunately, we're going to be living with the problems of these shortages for some time."

It's unthinkable to patients who find themselves caught in the mess.

"How in the United States of America could critical lifesaving or life-prolonging drugs be in short supply?" asked Jay Cuetara, 49, of San Francisco, who said chemotherapy to hold back his advanced cancer recently was delayed by a week when his hospital ran out and couldn't get more. He joined Obama in the Oval Office Monday as the president signed an executive order directing the FDA's next steps.

Just how big the shortage is depends on how you count, but this is a record-setting year. The FDA reported 178 drug shortages last year and says it sees more this year. The University of Utah's Drug Information Service reports higher numbers: 232 shortages this year, up from 211 last year. The Utah service tracks shortages for the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists, and has documented a tripling of the problem over the past five years.

Recent shortages could have been even worse: The FDA said Monday it had prevented 137 more drug shortages in the past two years, when companies told regulators they were having trouble. Options include getting other manufacturers to ramp up their own production, helping to find alternative suppliers of key ingredients, sometimes even allowing temporary importation of competing drugs sold only abroad.

Obama's executive order instructs the FDA to take more such steps -- to push more companies to come forward about potential shortages, to speed applications to change production of those drugs, and to alert the Justice Department about possible collusion or price-gouging.

The administration also supports legislation pending in Congress that would go a step further and require more industry reporting of shortages,

Overwhelmingly, the drugs in short supply are injectable medications used mostly by medical centers. They're usually generic drugs, not pricier brand-name versions. Just half a dozen companies are the main suppliers, said University of Utah pharmacist Erin Fox. A number of those factories have had to close for safety or quality upgrades in recent years, and there have been some shortages of ingredients bought abroad.

An Obama administration analysis concluded a big part of the problem is rising demand, especially for cancer drugs, that those companies haven't been able to boost production to meet.

But, "the main cause of drug shortages is economic," argued Dr. Thomas J. Smith of Johns Hopkins' Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center and Virginia Commonwealth University pharmacist Mandy Gatesman in this week's New England Journal of Medicine.

Reimbursement for administering IV drugs is a percentage of the average sales price, what they call an incentive to prescribe a pricier version. Also, manufacturers want to produce versions with a higher profit-margin. Consider that shortages of a common cancer drug named leucovorin didn't start until the FDA approved a similar competitor that worked as well but, because it was new, was 58 times more expensive, the pair wrote.

The Generic Pharmaceutical Association said it would work with FDA.

But FDA Commissioner Margaret Hamburg acknowledged her agency can address only part of the problem.

"There's no single or simple solution," she said. Still, "we can make a very real and meaningful difference by expanding our network of early warnings."

The executive action is part of a larger push by the White House to portray Obama, who is facing re-election, as an effective counterpoint to congressional Republicans blocking his jobs legislation. Last week, he issued an executive order to help homeowners refinance at lower mortgage rates and to allow college graduates to simplify and lower their student loan payments. On Friday he directed government agencies to shorten the time it takes for federal research to turn into commercial products in the marketplace.

The Republican National Committee called Monday's order "political expediency," noting that shortages have made headlines for much of Obama's presidency.

Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

InteliHealth
. . . .
More News
InteliHealth .
โ€ข General Health
โ€ข Top News
โ€ข This Week In Health
โ€ข Addiction
โ€ข Allergy
โ€ข Alzheimer's
โ€ข Asthma
โ€ข Arthritis
โ€ข Babies
โ€ข Breast Cancer
โ€ข Cancer
โ€ข Caregiving
โ€ข Cervical Cancer
โ€ข Children's Health
โ€ข Cholesterol
โ€ข Complementary & Alternative Medicine
โ€ข Dental / Oral Health
โ€ข Depression
โ€ข Diabetes
โ€ข Ear, Nose And Throat
โ€ข Environmental Health
โ€ข Eyes
โ€ข Family Health
โ€ข Fitness
โ€ข Genetics
โ€ข Headache
โ€ข Health Policy
โ€ข HIV / AIDS
โ€ข Heart Health
โ€ข Lung Cancer
โ€ข Medications
โ€ข Infectious Diseases
โ€ข Men's Health
โ€ข Nutrition News
โ€ข Mental Health
โ€ข Multiple Sclerosis
โ€ข Nutrition Guide
โ€ข Parkinson's
โ€ข Pregnancy
โ€ข Prevention
โ€ข Prostate Cancer
โ€ข Senior Health
โ€ข Sexual / Reproductive Health
โ€ข Sleep
โ€ข Tobacco Cessation
โ€ข STDs
โ€ข Stress Reduction
โ€ข Stroke
โ€ข Weight Management
โ€ข Today In Health History
โ€ข Women's Health
โ€ข Workplace Health
InteliHealth

Sussposedly we are getting a cost of living increase in January, but part B deductibles are also increasing, Will there be any actual increase in our actual benefit cash amount .  Also during the Bush years in office the government got some very large loans from Medicare when it is a fat cow.  Now the first of the Boomers are drawing benefits and their is not the sheer volume of younger workers paying into the fund.
Bronze Conversationalist

I am new to receiving Social Security.  ....I have been told that the Social Security recipients have NOT received even a cost of living increase for at least three years (as per local recipients).  Is there a chance that this inequity of passing out increases will be addressed?  And When? Jack V. Smith
Posted by Powderhorn63

I began receiving SS the end of 2008, and we received a COLA for 2009.  COLA was pretty flat in 2009, so no one received a gov. COLA for 2010, but because Seniors have other costs such as drugs, etc. that went up, the Administation sent us $250 which equated to a pretty nice COLA since the average SS check was just above $1100.  For 2011 Congress said, 'no, if no one else gets a COLA, Seniors can't have one' so we got nothing for 2011.

I've never found any credible source that said anyone else got a COLA.  Yes, some who vore themselves raises have done so with our money.  Other companies have also given their employees raises because of no COLA too, my daughter was working for one.

Are they ever going to stop the freeze on SS. I am living on $40.00 a week after the bills are paid. thats not much for drugs food Gas for car  and anything extra.    D.L. Anderson
Posted by dlittleones

Well if things get any worse for you, maybe you can cut your internet bill, go to net zero.net and get internet service for $10.00 a month on dial-up.  I will buy your computer from you, that might get you buy for another year.  Or you might think about getting a job at wal-mart being a door person.  F M
Periodic Contributor

The smartest way to handle this Social Securiy crises and other inequities in our system is to follow the sage advice of Warren Buffet, but that would be smart and it is too fantastic to believe that the citizens of this country will wake up and smell the coffee before it gets too bitter to drink. Anyone who wants to prioritize S.S. probably has a scheme of his own in which his bank account will multiply. What I would like to know and wish someone would answer is: how does Congress
get away with all of the outrageous benefits they keep voting on for themselves? Talk about inequity!!!
Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

I just went on Medicare in May 2011. Now I'm really scared the Republican Party and the Tea Party are going to do their darnest to "Take it away from all Seniors" Should I be "Fearful" or Not?? It's a terrible situation in Washington,D.C., and it seems like it's getting worse all the time. I am a "Baby Boomer" and I dreaded turning 65, because of all this mess. Everyone of us worked hard all through the years and paid in to the SS System, now they want to take it away from us??  They better "Think Again" We the People have Rights, so they better "Watch It" or they'll Vote themselves right out of Office!!! I do NOT Like what I'm hearing coming out of Washington D.C.!!!!  I am a "Die Hard" Democrat, and I really like Barack Obama, no matter what anyone says. He has "Fought TOOTH AND NAIL" FOR US. He has Bent over Backwards to get along with these Congressmen and Senators. All they have done is "Ruin this Country" and it keeps getting worse. I sincerely hope the American Senior People are strong enough to "VOTE THESE TURKEYS" OUT OF OFFICE. THEY DO NOT DESERVE TO BE IN OFFICE.
Posted by Yancey4

I agree.  The Republicans are planning to balance the budget on the backs of the old and the middle class.  Republicans think they can cut their way our of a recession.  It's not possible.  They need to get rid of the Bush tax cuts.  Even Reagan had higher taxes.  They think that the money will "trickle down" from the rich but instead it is flooding to the top.  Middle class wages have been stagnant for decades while the rich got richer.  Now there is not enough money left in the middle class to create the demand necessary to keep our economy going strong.  Cutting middle class jobs (like teachers and police) just makes things worse. It reduces demand even further. The Obama jobs bill would have put people back to work and it would have all been fully paid for with a 5.6% tax on income over a million dollars. Currently the rich actually pay less percentage of their income than the middle class because they only pay 15% on capital gains and they have a lot of tax loopholes. GE paid $0 in taxes last year. Send a message to Congress to get their money from the rich, not the poor and middle class. We don't have any left to give.
Periodic Contributor

I am new to receiving Social Security.  Last week I went to the grocery store and bought staples, many of which were not previously prepared foods.  When I arrived home, I went to my files and checked the same 19 items that I purchased this time last year and found that I had paid 30% more this year than last for the same items.  Gasoline has increased almost double (average) in the last 12 months.  Most federal employees, including US Congressmen, have received cost of living increases.  Some in the amount of 16% increase in one year, as per the US News reported on television.  I have been told that the Social Security recipients have NOT received even a cost of living increase for at least three years (as per local recipients).  Is there a chance that this inequity of passing out increases will be addressed?  And When? Jack V. Smith
Posted by Powderhorn63

There is suppose to be a 3.6% increase in SS in Jan. 2012.

I just went on Medicare in May 2011. Now I'm really scared the Republican Party and the Tea Party are going to do their darnest to "Take it away from all Seniors" Should I be "Fearful" or Not?? It's a terrible situation in Washington,D.C., and it seems like it's getting worse all the time.
I am a "Baby Boomer" and I dreaded turning 65, because of all this mess. Everyone of us worked hard all through the years and paid in to the SS System, now they want to take it away from us??  They better "Think Again" We the People have Rights, so they better "Watch It" or they'll Vote themselves right out of Office!!!

I do NOT Like what I'm hearing coming out of Washington D.C.!!!!  I am a "Die Hard" Democrat, and I really like Barack Obama, no matter what anyone says. He has "Fought TOOTH AND NAIL" FOR US. He has Bent over Backwards to get along with these Congressmen and Senators. All they have done is "Ruin this Country" and it keeps getting worse.
I sincerely hope the American Senior People are strong enough to "VOTE THESE TURKEYS" OUT OF OFFICE. THEY DO NOT DESERVE TO BE IN OFFICE.
Periodic Contributor

I'll vote for Bernie Sanders no matter what, since he is the only person running for national office who is discussing what used to be Democratic issues.  There is no point pointing blame at Obama - campaign finance laws make it impossible for anything to change as long as corporations are footing the bill for who gets to be in office.

Considering US economy has been in the dumps for 4+ years and employers are still laying off workers, those thousands of Baby Boomers turning 65 each day need some financial safety net.  The false robust US economy has been uncovered and it's been proven the US was living a lie based on false real estate values and credit cards that buyers/users could not afford.  Companies to specify in help wanted ads that they do not want resumes from anyone who is not currently employed so the unemployed millions can't even apply for jobs.  Unemployed people use all (if they had any) savings and home equity and credit card balances to try to stay afloat while looking for (non-existing) jobs.  I've read that 45 is the new unemployable age - keeps getting lower from 65 to 60 to 55 to 50 - sure tell a healthy intelligent 45-year old man with a family to support that he's unemployable (same for single mom).  Recent article said companies in India and Philippines are taking US job - Ha!  I have a friend doing online work for firm in India  so reality is that US drives business out to foreign countries like India and then the India firms turn around and offer online jobs to US citizens at dirt-cheap wages and often refuse to pay for the work done.  Are the US unpaid citizens suppose to sue the foreign firm for payment?  Anybody else out there have experience as a legal secretary/paralegal so they know how slim chances are that'll happen? 
Periodic Contributor

We could start a lawsuit, but will be dead if it ever gets settled.  After all, we're suiing law firms and the governments that want the business.  I have been a legal secretary for over 14 years (couldn't find anything this past year) and watched my earnings decline drastically over the past 3-4 years, so I gave up!

It makes more sense to find something else to do.  It would surprise me if anyone in Washington will lift a finger to help.

Last year, I wrote to as many people in Congress and to the Department of Labor about age discrimination and never even had the courtesy of a reply.  That shows how much they care: not at all.

Honored Social Butterfly

@ma41669535 wrote:

".....Last year, I wrote to as many people in Congress and to the Department of Labor about age discrimination and never even had the courtesy of a reply.  That shows how much they care: not at all....".

This is an ongoing discussion that cannot be settled. The bottom line is that it's near impossible to prove that you are discriminated against because of age. There already are laws in place, but again, not able to use those laws 99.9% of the time as you have no proof. The feds can't do any more. You are being discriminated against by people responsible for hiring.  Hiring is always 'discriminatory'. Studies have shown people are hired, or not, based on dress, facial hair, weight, height, etc. You don't know if they don't like your looks, dress, demeanor, how you speak, how they perceive your attitude.  Government cannot help in this one-on-one type of situation that occurs everywhere, every day.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Periodic Contributor

No one ever does anything about age discrimination.  I just found out a couple days ago at work that everyone was upgraded in their position ($2/hr. more) EXCEPT ME.  I am almost 63 years old and, even though I do the same work as the rest, they did not upgrade me.  I am so angry I can't see straight.  All I can do is look for another job but they well know it will be very difficult at my age.  I am working two jobs to barely get by and they are keeping me in my poverty.  $2 more an hour would make my life more bearable but I have to continue with this lower salary because of this discrimination against me.  And this is a state university.

Super Contributor

They know that at your age you will have a problem changing jobs.. ie They;ve got you and they know it!! Your employers are real A__Holes to do this to you..
Super Contributor

They know that at your age you will have a problem changing jobs..  ie They;ve got you and they know it!!  Your employers are real A__Holes to do this to you..

Honored Social Butterfly

@lori65202 wrote:

No one ever does anything about age discrimination.  I just found out a couple days ago at work that everyone was upgraded in their position ($2/hr. more) EXCEPT ME.  I am almost 63 years old and, even though I do the same work as the rest, they did not upgrade me.....

Post doesn't make sense. It one thing to not get a job in the first place because you have been discriminated against, and won't know it. But if you're telling the truth, then my understanding is that this is illegal and you have to call them on it. Are you telling us they told you that you're not getting a raise because you're too old??? 

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Periodic Contributor

Of coure not, they are not going to tell me it's "because I am too old", they will come up with another excuse "Your job isn't as skilled as the others" which is a total lie, on many levels.

Posted by 19krake66

There will be a slight increase for 2012 in SS and I'd bet a larger increase for your Part A&B medicare...

In January 2012 all Social Security recipients will receive a 6% cost of living raise.  I am on Social Security Disabilty since the age of 56.  My check isn't all that big to start with.  That will give me a raise of about $20 per month and then of course the cost of Medicare is going to go up also in January.  My medical supplement already went up $17 and my RX coverage is going up another $10 starting in January.  I'd like to know how the government considers this a reasonable cost of living raise when everything has gone up much  more than the measly 6% in the 3 years that we did not get a raise! How would all those big shots in the senate feel about a 6% raise in 3 years?  They wouldn't like it a bit!  But they don't hesitate to kick the elderly and disabled in the teeth when their down.  THEY took OUR money!  Now they don't want to pay it back so they sit around thinking up ways that they can keep from giving it to us. 
Posted by LaVonne57

The COLA in January will be 3.6%, not 6%.  The formula for COLAs was established a long time ago (I think in the '70s).  The formula requires no increase when the inflation rate is 0 or less.

I have been on SS Disability for the past two years, and I am currently 62 years old. My husband will be retiring in the next two years from a company that I have been on his medical insurance. All I can find is that 3 months prior to me turning 65 that I should plan on applying for Part B and Part D. When he retires he will go onto his Medicare but I will not be of age yet to get these other parts for mine. Will I be able to apply also at that time for the other parts that I do not receive or do I have to wait the next two years to be placed on full Medicare? Without calling the SS office the directions are very confusing.
Posted by juneen5230

If you have been on SS Disability for over one year, you can apply for Medicare NOW if you want it. All parts, A, B, and D. But once you sign up, you MUST start paying for your Part D. You will be penalized for life if you do not select a medication plan and start paying Part D premiums as soon as you get on Medicare. You might want to wait until husband actually has a retirement date, then apply for Medicare a few months before that date.

Posted by 19krake66

Social Security recipients will get a 3.6% COLA beginning in January.
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP