Live Your Best Life With Rewards for Good. Start Earning Reward Points Now. Get Started Now!

Silver Conversationalist

Re: Share your concerns about Social Security

Message 71 of 314
AFTER THE BILLS ARE PAID I HAVE $25.00 PER WEEK TO LIVE ON.THINKING ABOUT MOVING OUT OF THE COUNTRY
Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Re: Share your fears about Social Security

Message 72 of 314

Well, I'm getting a $10.00 increase in 2016, a definate "inequity of passing out increases". Certainly not anywhere near an appropriatle annual increase.

Info Seeker

Message 73 of 314

I applied for disability in 2006.  I was told at the time that I could apply for disabled widows benefits.They also told me that, since I was under the retirement age, I would get a partial payment from my husband's SS and when I reach 66 it would go up to the regular amount.  I've since had cause to question this.  What would be the truth?

Thanks

Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 74 of 314

RH, you are correct in the fact that Congress can do absolutely nothing and receive a raise. They designed it that way. Unless they vote AGAINST their own raise, they automatically receive one.

You probably already know they won't be raising the medicare part B premium. There's a clause called, "Do No Harm" or something like that and it prevents them from raising the B premiums for MOST recipients if there is no cost of living raise.

As far as the COL raise, it's beyond me how they don't figure there is inflation. The formula they use to decide if there'll be a raise hasn't changed and neither are the things they use for their tally. Me thinks their formula needs tweaking!

You should be commended for your ability and drive to continue working! Social security was never designed to be our total means of support, but the stock market wreaked havoc on even people like you who had intentions of saving and being responsible.  You sound like an awesome lady for having raised your grandchild and helping your adult daughter. Just remember to not let anyone use you. Take care of yourself, too. We often forget to do that!

Adopt an older pet. Help them remember what it feels like to be loved.
Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 75 of 314

DD, you're listening to incorrect information. The only person who can collect s/s benefits without paying in is a spouse who was married ten years or longer. They are allowed to collect 50% of their spouse's benefits, while that spouse collects 100%. No one who has not worked at least ten years and has at least 40 credits is drawing social security. It's a myth perpetutated by the far fringes of one party and it's only meant to bring in votes and enrage people.

The age limit is not climbing at this point. The revamping was done by President Reagan in 1983 and the age hasn't increased since that time. He set the birth years and the time we'd be eligible for full retirement benefits. That should be enough info if you'd like to do research on his entire restructuring of s/s. He also added in that at certain income levels, 50% would be taxed and at a higher income level, 85% would be taxed. None of this has changed since 1983.

DD, you're correct on the candidates who want to eliminate both programs. There are others and they all belong to the same party. Let's all choose carefully when we vote so we aren't voting against our own best interests. Keep in mind which party started Social Security and Medicare and which party is trying to abolish it. Stop listening to what you hear at the coffee shop or on certain news channels. Do your own research and listen to the speeches of the candidates, go to their websites to see what their plans for our generation are.

Adopt an older pet. Help them remember what it feels like to be loved.
Info Seeker

Message 76 of 314

GetRealQuick wrote:
GOP Front runner Cain's 999 plan calls for abolishing Social Security and Medicare (New York Times, 11/13/11). Perry has called SS a ponzi scheme and unlawful. The GOP is against SS and Medicare by principle and would love to abolish/privatize them, as soon as they get in power, whether it be 2012, 2016, 2020, etc. And I don't believe their promises of not affecting those currently 50 or greater. They have a proven record of flip flopping and it is often a part of their plan. SO this issue is not going away; it is dangerous for us, and is dangerous for future generations.

Should they get elected and abolish/privatize Social Security and Medicare, it will be a stupendous, catastrophic, disaster for the 10s of millions of poor and disabled elderly. Their only choice will be to wheel themselves out to th the trashcan and wait to die. This is the GOP plan for America in the 21st century, whether we like it or not. The day they get the power will be the day they begin their dismantling project.

What is out only rational response? Is it to wheel ourselves out to the trashcan to die in misery? Of course not! We must therefore demand the Right To Die via a $99.00 Death Drug (we don't want any ahandouts). This is our only rational response because this "Dead Deal", the opposite of the New Deal, of the GOP is coming and nobody can stop it. Therefore we must do the only rational thing and demand the Right to Die. This is the unavoidable future of America.

GetRealQuick wrote:
GOP Front runner Cain's 999 plan calls for abolishing Social Security and Medicare (New York Times, 11/13/11). Perry has called SS a ponzi scheme and unlawful. The GOP is against SS and Medicare by principle and would love to abolish/privatize them, as soon as they get in power, whether it be 2012, 2016, 2020, etc. And I don't believe their promises of not affecting those currently 50 or greater. They have a proven record of flip flopping and it is often a part of their plan. SO this issue is not going away; it is dangerous for us, and is dangerous for future generations.

Should they get elected and abolish/privatize Social Security and Medicare, it will be a stupendous, catastrophic, disaster for the 10s of millions of poor and disabled elderly. Their only choice will be to wheel themselves out to th the trashcan and wait to die. This is the GOP plan for America in the 21st century, whether we like it or not. The day they get the power will be the day they begin their dismantling project.

What is out only rational response? Is it to wheel ourselves out to the trashcan to die in misery? Of course not! We must therefore demand the Right To Die via a $99.00 Death Drug (we don't want any ahandouts). This is our only rational response because this "Dead Deal", the opposite of the New Deal, of the GOP is coming and nobody can stop it. Therefore we must do the only rational thing and demand the Right to Die. This is the unavoidable future of America.

I feel people coming to this country from where ever, should NOT be allowed to collect social security benifits. Most imigrants have never put anything into the system, but are allowed to collect off of the hard working people as myself, who is now being told i have to work years longer to collect. I have worked for over 40 years now , and the age limit continues to climb upward , so we can continue to pay for unwanted outsiders to come and be allowed by the law to collect.

Info Seeker

Message 77 of 314

I feel people coming to this country from where ever, should NOT be allowed to collect social security benifits. Most imigrants have never put anything into the system, but are allowed to collect off of the hard working people as myself, who is now being told i have to work years longer to collect. I have worked for over 40 years now , and the age limit continues to climb upward , so we can continue to pay for unwanted outsiders to come and be allowed by the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT to benifit. Awlful 

Info Seeker

Message 78 of 314
The scare tactics of big corp America and the congressman in their pockets are a way of trying to cut our SS. How about cutting our the subsidies and freebies that they receive? Social Security has some spare funds, remember the huge amounts of money that was BURROWED from SS, it has not been repaid yet! We are old not ignorant speak up.
Info Seeker

Re:Divorced Spouse's Share of Social Security

Message 79 of 314

I am divorced after a 40-yer marriage and have not remarried. I only receive $600 per month Social Security. My ex-spouse's social security payments are lower than mine because he quit working. Is there any way I can receive a portion of his Social Security to add to mine? 

Info Seeker

Message 80 of 314
Will they provide that information for an individual based on their situation?