Check out the 10th anniversary edition of ’99 Great Ways to Save,’ AARP’s annual guide to saving money.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Where do you want to live when you retire?

Message 1 of 307

I have lived in Florida most of my life, but it is just so hot and humid. At this point, my plan is to move to Asheville, NC in about 10 years when I am nearing retirement.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 307

Washington State or Oregon, beautiful, mild temperatures, diverse ecosystem.  Wish it was more conservative

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 307

Santa Fe NM

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 307
Lots of us ready to leave CA for sure!
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 307

I have lived in Los Angeles all of my life and now that I am retiring, I want to move to GA. I have a 3 year old grandson there that I want to bond with, and I am ready to leave California. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 307

Keep in mind that retiring to where people like to vacation may not be the best idea.  In Myrtle Beach, there are times that we are innundated with tourists.  My advice is that if it's a place you like to visit, otheres do too.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 307

My husband and I are snowbirds in Myrtle Beach Sc.  We love it for the exact reasons that you want to leave LI.  We're former New Yorkers also. 

What I would recommend is that you decide what kind of home you want and start there.  You can find a nice condo from $100K and up.  Single family homes are $200k and up.  There are communities just for Active Adults(which I should have gone with).

We opted for a condo which is less than a mile and a half away from the beach.  there is plenty of things to do.  However, if you don't want to have vacationers in your development, I recommend you let the realtor know.  Our realtor told us that we didn't want a condo and we didn't listen.  Now, we have to deal with a lot of tourists and they don't care what they do in our complex.

Del Webb is building on 62nd Northe and Bypass 17.  Their homes are beautiful but you would spend about $325k depending on model and extras you choose.  They are adding one story duplexes late May 019 according to the website but no price was given.

Real estate taxes are extremely low.  State sales tax is 8% but Myrtle Beach taxes on another 1%(probably to get the tourists).

Hope this helps.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 307
Move
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 307

Palm Springs 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 307

I retired at 64 after living for 20 years in the Chicago suburbs. We wanted warmth and a city environment. We chose the Victoria Park neighborhood of Fort Lauderdale, Fl walking distance to Las Olas Shops and restaurants and a short bike ride from the beach. We have a small three bedroom house with a large yard and a great pool. We could not be happier with our choice. The kids love to come down winter and spring and we spend our summers at our condo in downtown Chicago

Kudos
Views