Take control of your brain health with Staying Sharp! Try it today.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Where do you want to live when you retire?

Message 1 of 328
  1. No sure yet but will have family where ever I go. 
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 328

Florida or pretty island in Jamacia

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 328

Palm Springs, Ca. 

Friends

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 328

My wonderful husband has lived in our home for over 28 years.  He raised three children on his own in this house.

I have come to love our home very much and want to remain here after my husband's retirement.

We live approximately 25 miles north of Denver, CO.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 328

New york

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 328

Southern Oklahoma 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 328

TN is closest to my children and grandchildren 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 328

Hello Candy3954,

Well, we "immigrated" to Canada with a little planning and a lot of luck.  By the way you CAN keep your US citizenship, we heard a lot of myths flying around about that.  

One trick is we started the process when I was still in my early 50's.  It took about 3 years to get our permanent resident cards.  Also we purchased property here in the early 2000's.  That was for investment, but we were extremely lucky to purchase property at that time, because the values skyrocketed shortly after.  So, now we have a place to stay that is paid for, and two other rental properties to help with retirement.  

It actually helped to apply in your 50's, because Canada has a merit system, based on education, job skills, etc, and they look at how long you might contribute to the work force.  But these are not the only criteria, so you shouldn't be put off.   We immigrated under the "Economic, Skilled Workers" classification.  There are other ways to immigrate as well.  You can actually do most of it online, but you have to be patient:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada.html

And yes there are places a lot less expensive than Vancouver, that are very nice to live.  If you like small, scenic, outdoorsy towns, there are lots of those. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 328

Good morning RussWestbrook,

I visited Vancouver on vacation three years ago and loved the outskirts - the scenery is beautiful.  The city felt safe to me, but very crowded and very expensive.  I was amazed at the Rolls Royce and Lamborghini and other uber-luxury car dealerships I saw that I rarely, if ever, see here (Chicago area).  I have thought about retiring in Canada, but it appears the rules are prohibitive.  How did you manage it, if you don't mind me asking?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 328

Candy3954,

Thanks for the tip. 

I'm going to look up International Living magazine.  My wife and I have been living in Vancouver for about 12 years now.  It's an expensive place, but our money comes from the states (pensions, retirements, investments, etc), and the exchange rate works quite well to our benefit.  

Kudos
Views