If you suspect you're a scam target, AARP's fraud helpline is here for you. Learn more.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Where do you want to live when you retire?

Message 1 of 300
Move
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 300

Palm Springs 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 300

I retired at 64 after living for 20 years in the Chicago suburbs. We wanted warmth and a city environment. We chose the Victoria Park neighborhood of Fort Lauderdale, Fl walking distance to Las Olas Shops and restaurants and a short bike ride from the beach. We have a small three bedroom house with a large yard and a great pool. We could not be happier with our choice. The kids love to come down winter and spring and we spend our summers at our condo in downtown Chicago

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 300

I am retired @83, ... Bought into our CCRC  here:  

Liberty Village 

back in 2004, while we were still snowbirding to Florida... 

We lit, feel comfortable for the rest of our lives, for whatever may happen.  We live in a "Villa"... a regular 1500 s.f. home but have access to the apartments, assisted living, nursing home or memory care as needed... A great midwest town, with low trafiic and all stores and entertainment needs within a few miles. 

This is the way future Continuing Care facilities willbe all over the US.  If you go to the site, go to the FAQ... part and watch the short video... (that's our home in one of the videos.)

Could not be happier.  Feel safe, social, healthy (full service health/exercise center) and  transportation if and when we need it.  

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 300

Dominican Republic? If that is the correct answer, how will you be taking care of any medical bills? Do they accept Medicare?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 300

Whats DR? Inquiring minds want to know

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 300

The Edgewater Beach area in Chicago, IL. My hometown.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 300
I want to live in the DR. Nice people and cheaper
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 300

New Bern NC is a beautiful boating community.  Near a river that goes to the ocean.  Beautiful ocean beaches like Long Island had in the past. Friendly people, great restaurants, theaters, and continued education if you like that.  Plenty of activities, local hospital in town and specialty medical centers close by.  Houses are affordable (atleast 1/3 L.I. prices) and taxes are low.   Pleanty of shopping venues.   Any spot, so far, in NC is a good place to be.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 300

I would Love to retire in Hawaii, why?  The people are sooooo friendly.  But, the taxes will Eat you alive.  I have lived there for 30 years.  But, everything keeps rising, everytime you turn around, really.  You get a raise at work, good, right, then they raise your rent, then grocery items go up, then the bus rates go up, then you think that's not too bad but then they raise the tax on EVERYTHING YOU BUY!  So, your literally swimming in taxes!

Hawaii is a Tourist Trap and A Tax Trap as well.  Great weather, beautiful skies, but swimming is only good on the North Shore, it's not polluted yet.

Its nice to buy a home if your a millionaire but then they Raise the property taxes, again and again and again, till it chokes families.

So,Where to go?  How about Las Vegas? blue skies, people are friendly, your NOT taxed on everything,plus there are so many people from Hawaii owing to Nevada, tons! You can afford to buy a house.  There are four seasons but not so cold( actually it's only really cold for 4 months).  No mosquitos and No cockroaches!! ( In Hawaii, there are TONS!!). There are mountains to hike and the summers are warm ( gets super hot sometimes), but I prefer the heat better than the cold, any day.  Plus, you can travel anywhere by car, train,plane, whatever you so desire.  What about gambling?  Stay with a limit when you go in and walk out when your done but the best place is Primm, a lottery, you never know if your the lucky one today, so instead of giving all that TAX money to Hawaii's government, try your LUCK at Primm!

Kudos
Views