Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Where do you want to live when you retire?

Periodic Contributor

Where do you want to live when you retire?

Colorful_garden_1.jpg

It is reported about 10,000 baby boomers retire daily.

Some of them want stay home where they are.

Some want to move to other place to enjoy their retirement.

Do you want retire and stay where you are?

Or do you want move to a community where you can make friends and share commen interests?

Carin
Periodic Contributor

Kudos to you!  I agree that International Living online site is a great source for finding beauty and economical living.  That is how I started my search, 6 years ago, for ocean-front living in a Mediterranean or dry climate in Spain, Greece, and Mexico.  I decided on North Baja Mexico and purchased 3 years ago, choosing Rosartio Beach, Baja.  I love it here in my ocean front condominum!  Travel is 35 minutes to Southern California. Permanent Mexican residency was easy and fast.
My neighbors are Canadians, various western Europeans, those from the USA- mostly middle-class and upper-middle class retirees and military retirees, plus Australians, a few South Americans, and middle-class Mexican Nationals. Neighbors include a famous Silicon-Vallet high-tech entrepreneur, a retired USA military doctor, an Australian couple, a French restaurant owner, a Mexican restaurant owner and a Mexican engineer.
I now am selling my condo home in La Jolla Real gated community and buying one in the development next door-- both units are built by one of the most respected Mexican developers who uses USA building standards.  My ocean view is 180 degrees.  Below are some photos:West view my balcony to Coronado Isl.West view my balcony to Coronado Isl.Part of living area to oceanPart of living area to oceanOcean view from kitchenOcean view from kitchenMy kitchenMy kitchenMain bedroom-bath suite ocean-frontMain bedroom-bath suite ocean-frontView Southeast from my balconyView Southeast from my balcony

Periodic Contributor

Candy3954,

Thanks for the tip. 

I'm going to look up International Living magazine.  My wife and I have been living in Vancouver for about 12 years now.  It's an expensive place, but our money comes from the states (pensions, retirements, investments, etc), and the exchange rate works quite well to our benefit.  

Regular Contributor

Good morning RussWestbrook,

I visited Vancouver on vacation three years ago and loved the outskirts - the scenery is beautiful.  The city felt safe to me, but very crowded and very expensive.  I was amazed at the Rolls Royce and Lamborghini and other uber-luxury car dealerships I saw that I rarely, if ever, see here (Chicago area).  I have thought about retiring in Canada, but it appears the rules are prohibitive.  How did you manage it, if you don't mind me asking?

Periodic Contributor

Hello Candy3954,

Well, we "immigrated" to Canada with a little planning and a lot of luck.  By the way you CAN keep your US citizenship, we heard a lot of myths flying around about that.  

One trick is we started the process when I was still in my early 50's.  It took about 3 years to get our permanent resident cards.  Also we purchased property here in the early 2000's.  That was for investment, but we were extremely lucky to purchase property at that time, because the values skyrocketed shortly after.  So, now we have a place to stay that is paid for, and two other rental properties to help with retirement.  

It actually helped to apply in your 50's, because Canada has a merit system, based on education, job skills, etc, and they look at how long you might contribute to the work force.  But these are not the only criteria, so you shouldn't be put off.   We immigrated under the "Economic, Skilled Workers" classification.  There are other ways to immigrate as well.  You can actually do most of it online, but you have to be patient:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada.html

And yes there are places a lot less expensive than Vancouver, that are very nice to live.  If you like small, scenic, outdoorsy towns, there are lots of those. 

Periodic Contributor

All of those things are important. You need to decide which are the most important to you? What is it that gives meaning to your life? Where can you find that?

For me, the most important thing was my social support network, since I have no family.

Carol A. KIng

Where Shall I Live When I Retire?

Available at Amazon.com

Contributor

Thanks, I agree that the people connection is key!
Contributor

Chattanooga, TN

My wife and I plan to live abroad and move from one country to the next every 12-18 months.  It is pretty ambitious, but that's our plan at this time.

Kudos
Views

We would like to retire in central Florida 

Contributor

I have lived in Florida most of my life, but it is just so hot and humid. At this point, my plan is to move to Asheville, NC in about 10 years when I am nearing retirement.

Santa Fe NM

Contributor

I have lived in Los Angeles all of my life and now that I am retiring, I want to move to GA. I have a 3 year old grandson there that I want to bond with, and I am ready to leave California. 

Kudos
Views
Contributor

Lots of us ready to leave CA for sure!
Contributor

Move
Kudos
Views
Contributor

Palm Springs 

Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

I retired at 64 after living for 20 years in the Chicago suburbs. We wanted warmth and a city environment. We chose the Victoria Park neighborhood of Fort Lauderdale, Fl walking distance to Las Olas Shops and restaurants and a short bike ride from the beach. We have a small three bedroom house with a large yard and a great pool. We could not be happier with our choice. The kids love to come down winter and spring and we spend our summers at our condo in downtown Chicago

Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

I am retired @83, ... Bought into our CCRC  here:  

Liberty Village 

back in 2004, while we were still snowbirding to Florida... 

We lit, feel comfortable for the rest of our lives, for whatever may happen.  We live in a "Villa"... a regular 1500 s.f. home but have access to the apartments, assisted living, nursing home or memory care as needed... A great midwest town, with low trafiic and all stores and entertainment needs within a few miles. 

This is the way future Continuing Care facilities willbe all over the US.  If you go to the site, go to the FAQ... part and watch the short video... (that's our home in one of the videos.)

Could not be happier.  Feel safe, social, healthy (full service health/exercise center) and  transportation if and when we need it.  

Tom Young
Conversationalist

I would Love to retire in Hawaii, why?  The people are sooooo friendly.  But, the taxes will Eat you alive.  I have lived there for 30 years.  But, everything keeps rising, everytime you turn around, really.  You get a raise at work, good, right, then they raise your rent, then grocery items go up, then the bus rates go up, then you think that's not too bad but then they raise the tax on EVERYTHING YOU BUY!  So, your literally swimming in taxes!

Hawaii is a Tourist Trap and A Tax Trap as well.  Great weather, beautiful skies, but swimming is only good on the North Shore, it's not polluted yet.

Its nice to buy a home if your a millionaire but then they Raise the property taxes, again and again and again, till it chokes families.

So,Where to go?  How about Las Vegas? blue skies, people are friendly, your NOT taxed on everything,plus there are so many people from Hawaii owing to Nevada, tons! You can afford to buy a house.  There are four seasons but not so cold( actually it's only really cold for 4 months).  No mosquitos and No cockroaches!! ( In Hawaii, there are TONS!!). There are mountains to hike and the summers are warm ( gets super hot sometimes), but I prefer the heat better than the cold, any day.  Plus, you can travel anywhere by car, train,plane, whatever you so desire.  What about gambling?  Stay with a limit when you go in and walk out when your done but the best place is Primm, a lottery, you never know if your the lucky one today, so instead of giving all that TAX money to Hawaii's government, try your LUCK at Primm!

Contributor

Plan on retiring in Fl. Currently live in MN and tired of the winters. 

I would like to retire somewhere in the Virginia Mountains, or Tennessee mountains not sure which one it better for tax on seniors?

let me know 

thank you

Kudos
Views

Right now we live in Alaska, I suppose we may stay here in Alaska until the weather becomes a hardship.

Regular Contributor

where in AK,how affordable,seismic activity?,.Would sell my 14471 property 150-200K but SS/pension only $1200/month.3 cats&me[eventually bird dog].Small[1BR/1LR]structually sound house/cabin with onsite well,mostly off grid.Need a semi-temperate??location-Raynauds syndrome in feet/fingers.I hunt/fish/crab/ sail/fossil hun/,rustic furniture/traditional black smith/radio listen,printed books.How bad is the debt?-heard AK legislature unwilling to rectify.Cheapest way to relocate from western NY?Seems sticker shock craigslist greater Juneau area.
Thanks,
Karl
PS former pharmacy technician and heavy ehs background.
Regular Contributor

Does anyone kn ow anything about St. Paul, Minnesota.

I'd be moving there alone and would need just a one bedroom.

I'm 69, but I don't think I'm too old to start over.

I'm a writer and would like to live in the artistic community if there is one?

I had also thought of out of town, such Cannon Falls, but that would probably be too far for me drive.

I lived one year in Red Wing, MN, and love the country and water, and one year in Hastings, I've heard Hastings is more of a real community now?

I'd appreciate any information or anywhere you could direct me to find out what I need.

Thank you.

Cynthia Scarflett Mercati

Periodic Contributor

San Juan Puerto rico
Kudos
Views
Periodic Contributor

@dreamhomenj wrote:

Colorful_garden_1.jpg

It is reported about 10,000 baby boomers retire daily.

Some of them want stay home where they are.

Some want to move to other place to enjoy their retirement.

Do you want retire and stay where you are?

Or do you want move to a community where you can make friends and share commen interests?

Periodic Contributor

Puerto Rico 

Contributor

If I was able to, I would like to retire either in Norway, Scotland, Montana

Peter Sabo
Contributor

When looking for a place to retire spend the time to explore locations. You presumabley have the time and money to travel so use it.

We flew to Denver,rented a car and spent enough time to become familiar with Colorado,Arizona and New Mexico. We ultimately moved to New Mexico and never regretted it.

When we decided to go urban we spent 2 weeks each in   Charllotte,NC,Atlanta,GA and SanDiego,CA. We moved to SanDiego and never regretted it. 

Periodic Contributor

WOW!

In my house

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP