Looking for work? The U.S. Census Bureau is hiring more than 500,000 people nationwide. Learn more.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Where do you want to live when you retire?

Message 41 of 342

Keep in mind that retiring to where people like to vacation may not be the best idea.  In Myrtle Beach, there are times that we are innundated with tourists.  My advice is that if it's a place you like to visit, otheres do too.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 342

My husband and I are snowbirds in Myrtle Beach Sc.  We love it for the exact reasons that you want to leave LI.  We're former New Yorkers also. 

What I would recommend is that you decide what kind of home you want and start there.  You can find a nice condo from $100K and up.  Single family homes are $200k and up.  There are communities just for Active Adults(which I should have gone with).

We opted for a condo which is less than a mile and a half away from the beach.  there is plenty of things to do.  However, if you don't want to have vacationers in your development, I recommend you let the realtor know.  Our realtor told us that we didn't want a condo and we didn't listen.  Now, we have to deal with a lot of tourists and they don't care what they do in our complex.

Del Webb is building on 62nd Northe and Bypass 17.  Their homes are beautiful but you would spend about $325k depending on model and extras you choose.  They are adding one story duplexes late May 019 according to the website but no price was given.

Real estate taxes are extremely low.  State sales tax is 8% but Myrtle Beach taxes on another 1%(probably to get the tourists).

Hope this helps.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 342
Move
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 342

Palm Springs 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 342

I retired at 64 after living for 20 years in the Chicago suburbs. We wanted warmth and a city environment. We chose the Victoria Park neighborhood of Fort Lauderdale, Fl walking distance to Las Olas Shops and restaurants and a short bike ride from the beach. We have a small three bedroom house with a large yard and a great pool. We could not be happier with our choice. The kids love to come down winter and spring and we spend our summers at our condo in downtown Chicago

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker +
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 342

I am retired @83, ... Bought into our CCRC  here:  

Liberty Village 

back in 2004, while we were still snowbirding to Florida... 

We lit, feel comfortable for the rest of our lives, for whatever may happen.  We live in a "Villa"... a regular 1500 s.f. home but have access to the apartments, assisted living, nursing home or memory care as needed... A great midwest town, with low trafiic and all stores and entertainment needs within a few miles. 

This is the way future Continuing Care facilities willbe all over the US.  If you go to the site, go to the FAQ... part and watch the short video... (that's our home in one of the videos.)

Could not be happier.  Feel safe, social, healthy (full service health/exercise center) and  transportation if and when we need it.  

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 342

Dominican Republic? If that is the correct answer, how will you be taking care of any medical bills? Do they accept Medicare?

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 342

Whats DR? Inquiring minds want to know

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 342

The Edgewater Beach area in Chicago, IL. My hometown.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 342
I want to live in the DR. Nice people and cheaper
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season