AARP Partners With ‘Politico’ to Educate Voters Leading Up to 2018 Midterm Election. Read More!

Social Butterfly

Re: Retiring early - share your experience! Please!

Message 1 of 135

@uechapa, thanks.  I don't mind rudeness since I can be accused of the same.  I don't mind someone calling me out for spelling since I am a poor speller and am very comfortable with who I am.  I am successful at what I do and maintaining my health. This and family life is about all that matters to me. Poor spelling is a weak insult supposing that stupidity causes this instead that some minds don’t notice spelling errors. Like intelligence, it is genetic. I am happy I got smarts over spelling.

I am sure my view on drugs is the antithesis of his/hers. For the last 20 years I have tried to spend at least 10 hrs a week researching health and finance.  The rewards have been staggering. I will retire with more money that I could ever imagine and remarkably healthy.

For me drugs will likely extend my life more than a decade longer than the average dude with my problems and likely live into my 90s. That is why I don’t mind retiring at 70 even though I don’t need the money. You never have too much of that.

Others feel drugs are evil and an attempt for drug companies to poison us. Well, drugs have been accredited for taking the average life expectancy from 75 20 years ago to 85 today. It is likely the genera; population will make it into our 90s just because we have underestimated how effective the new advances are and what will be coming.

I have conversed with med nuts who claim BP meds are only to make money but his wife died from kidney disease which certain BP meds are super effective in preventing that. They would rather die early than take meds. How smart is that?

They caught one group selling ‘natural water’ they must have taken from a farm stream. It was so polluted with animal feces if it was a swimming pool it would have been shut down. They would them by tracking down some crazy illnesses. People were coming down with animal diseases.

These people lack the foundations to intellegently vet information they read.  Mercury doesn't cause dementia.  It will get absorbed into endocrine glands which is probably more unhealthy.  VAXXED is a money making org. What I did read was not fact.  I think a conspericy to wipe out humans is crazy.  Why would the medical community, the government and big pharma want to kill us off?  They would be killing them selvs.  They probably sell sewer water for $50/gal.  Only the most gullable would believe that site and they are ripe for the picking!

Report Inappropriate Content
Conversationalist

Message 2 of 135

Check out VAXXED.    Big pharma & vaccine industry working to delete population.

Aluminum & mercury adjuvants causing dementia & clogging other organs.   Also truth about 

cancer, vaccines, GMOs & pet cancer.   Glyphosate, dicamba, 2-4D  and fossil fuel spills

gas fracking factory farms all polluters promoting disease.   Chemical overload & subsequent

nutrient deficiency  are the real issues in our lives today.    We have not had any progress in

any disease.   They have made lots of money making us ill.    We do nothave health care but

disease management &. disease promotion.

Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 135

@smetroWho says chronic diseases must be self-inflicted?  Don’t you know most are genetic?  Oh that is right you aren’t an RN. Some can be helped with a poor life style. 

For all my afflictions I do exceptionally well.  Not knowing anything about you I suspect I will outlive you despite several serious life shortening diseases because I made my self an expert on my health issues.  I had an insurance company bet big money on that for not much of a premium that I will make 75. After that the rate is no longer locked.  It was a slam dunk for them.  Rarely do they get to see another players hand in poker.  I have extensive in-depth health tests.  Diabetics usually die from CVD.  By 15 years the average T2D has massive plaque build ups.  I had less than the normal build up for my age.  The cardiologist commented I was the healthiest long-term diabetic he could recall seeing. Of course, I should hold your ignorant opinion above a cardiologist.  What I mean by that was the cardiologist made that comment after reviewing 20k worth of tests. You know nothing about me but feel you know it all. Good for you!

That plaque report is why the insurance was willing to give me such a deal.  If I was this good after 15 years it was unlikely I would go to pot so much as to become life threatening in 10 more.  My spelling is due to auto correct and being a poor speller. BTW… I am about ready to retire and do very well for myself. I am in the top 10% are you? I get paid for problem solving ability not spelling. I do spell check in my professional world but not for AARP members, sorry. I can give a rat’s ass what you think of me and I assure you I think less of you. At least I am not even close to as stupid or ignorant as your comments are!

Conversationalist

Message 4 of 135

Ron Mesnard is surely glad to be alive, as we all should be whether we took good care of ourselves or not 'cause we're in the present, and the past can't usually be undone as in Ron's position.

If a post has misspelled words, less than perfect grammar, tense, sentence structure or punctuation, is immaterial 'cause we can either read it or bypass it; however, I don't condone some online stranger denigrating someone else's post 'cause it's not perfect.  I also think it's impolite to bring it to someone's attention.

Life, now, is much shorter than we thought so I think we should abandon the petty crap and learn to edify one another rather than criticize.

C'est tout bon.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 5 of 135

Gee, Ron Mesnard, too bad you have to take a lot of drugs to stay alive-perhaps if you'd taken better care of yourself in your, uh, better years, that might not be the case..!  Am NOT an RN and never claimed to be.  The job is too grisly for me.  Oh, and you'd better either check your spellcheck-or learn to spell...

Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 135

@aa7218859, you sound very ignorant for an RN.  Those lies are likely scientific facts. Statistically statins put years onto your life but not everyone cares to live as long as they could.  You appear to be one of them.  Please don't preachg foolishness to me.  I plan to live a long confortable healthy life and I will need to take plenty of drugs to do so. 

There is almost no way a vaccine will hurt you other than an illergic reaction to what the vaccine was added to so it could be dispensed. It is typically an egg white product. I know 2 persons who died needlessly because they didn't get the pneumonia vaccine.  I think they were fools like you and who would still be alive if they were not so ignorant or foolish.

After proving yourself an idoit, I couldn't take your thoughts on the planet seriously.   

Conversationalist

Message 7 of 135

I became retired due to disability with blind l eye & weak L arm.   As RN know nutritional health necessary  as pollution has depleted us so much.   Pharmacy & vaccines too much fraud & lies & 

disease promotion.   Wish able to reach more folks to ditch chemo cholesterol & all the other big $

lies.   Preserving the planet so important ,need everyone engaged seriously & spreading word of all

positive efforts.

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 135

The first thing I read after I retired was "The Joy of NOT WORKING"  (ISBN-10: 1580085520, ISBN-13: 978-1580085526).  Don't think for an instant that chasing white golf balls will complete your days and make your feel worthwhile, you need to have a bigger and more challenging plan.  Operative word there is 'plan'.  Understanding that 'leisure' takes effort is the first step.  I won't go as far to say this is the most punctuating book I've ever read, but certainly gave me direction on where to start looking and take those first few steps into enjoying life outside the work environment.

@pattyecallingwrote:

I am planning on retiring in April 2018 when I turn 62. I have worked for the same employer for 33 years and am fortunate enough to have a decent retirement. I won't be doing a lot of travelling or buying a new car but I should be comfortable, making a little more than I am working!  I have 3 grandchildren that I really want to spend more time with before Grandma isn't "the bomb" anymore, be a little more involved in my church, and open to other things. But after just taking a week off from work, I'm afraid I will be bored.  I'm so used to having a specific purpose every day; I'm used to being surrounded by great people with lots of laughs (lots of crap too!) and great working relationships.  I am not a highly motovated person and am afraid I'll spend way too much time in front of the TV, especially in the winter months!  I really don't want to work any more.  33 years is a long time to give to one organization. It's now time for ME.  (Besides, I can't keep up with the changes in technology and all the young people around me).  My retirement is all contingent on what Trump does with health care and economy.  I have budgeted a nice monthly sum for insurance premiums but it may not be enough or change over the next three years until I can get on Medicare.  It all frightens me. I'm a single woman supporting myself.  Anyway, would love to get some feedback. Thanks.

Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 135

Well that is the way of the world.   You can't help getting angry but that will only hurt you. 

Over 60% of the persons let go in the NYC area in 2008 were over 50.  Just try to get a descent job!  It is way rougher over 60.  Then they bring out the shot guns.

I tried reporting obvious age discrimination.  Eventually, I learned to lie.  Once they like you, they don't care that you lied and long as you didn't lie on a legaly binding form.  Then you get fired.  They don't use the legaly binding paperwork in the hireing process at least where I was hired. 

Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 135

@ccncee, great story!  It is nice to hear some people 'lucked out'.  You didn't need fraud to get cleaned out in 2000.  I lost 80% in a day.  Some companies, even huge, ones went belly up.  Those are total losses.  I will say the stocks I picked came back eventually.  Some took 5 years but I was able to break even.

In 2008 I thought I had it all figured out, big mistake!  I got in before 6 AM to work and would do a quick check of the world stock markets.  I sold when the market opened.  Much to my surprise, the sales were not executed until COB when they hit all time lows. Brokerage firms always do that so they can amass all the sales of a particular stock.  There are prices for 1, 10, 50, 100, ect bundles of a stock.  You get savings on bulk.  They will bundle 100 sales of 100 shares of XYZ into 1 10,000 share package.  They get the 10,000 share rate and charge you with the 100 share rate and pocket the difference.  They make millinon while their clients lose hundereds of millions because of their tactics. NEVER sell during a crash!

I had a rough go of it but never had to dip into my IRAs.  We did clear out all our other savings a few times.  Many of my friends also had to pay penelties but none lost their house.  Eventually everything straightened out and they only paid some penalities.  I feel sorry for the millions who lost their house because they didn't have IRAs or 401ks to rob.  That was the real problem with the mortgage crisses and that was never fixed with D-F. What they did was add 35 of legalize to the existing 5 or 7 pages.  Could they honestly believe the intended audiance could understand that crap!  One sentance was over a page long!  No they were paid not to fix anything then went about 'fixing things' in a way that could never work.  I refinanced 2 years back and they could have cared less what I had as assets.  I suspect they couldn't ask by law.  That is the problem.  I don't know if the Republican fix is any better than Dod-Frank but I doubt that it could be worse.  It is all about politics and not about protecting our citizans.