Live Your Best Life With Rewards for Good. Start Earning Reward Points Now. Get Started Now!

Conversationalist

Re: Aging Alone

Message 1 of 27

There are many attractive things about FL -- but I'm a Blue State Liberal, and I don't think I'd be too welcome -- or fit in.

I'm from Chicago and and grew up on Chicago politics, so I've never learned and never will to keep my shut at a comment.

Report Inappropriate Content
Conversationalist

Message 2 of 27

I don't have ideas.I'm sorry.

I've found out that the places Id like to live, in a rather artsy community, liberal, are way too expensive. Boston, Chicago, the farther out the circles go in Chicago it gets more expensive.

I wish my daughter would move with her boyfriend to Duluth, MN, where he is -- but only if she wants to. I love Duluth, as long as I have a garage I don't care about snow. I grew up in Chicago and we got wicked winters..

And thre's Lake Superior--I love it.

When I lived in Chicago, I loved ake Michgan.I miss diversity.

Someone I knew had a guided meditation and she envisioned  the house and exactly where she is  now -- Ireland. I'd love to live in Ireland myself, but can't claim one Irish relative. She also had money and seveal friend s went with her.

, --it's way too dry and just so vey very nice where I am -- can't expain it. I'd like to ove to a more intersting community.

Conversationalist

Message 3 of 27

Thanks for your input.

I'm aging alone in Des Moines, IA.

I'm from Chicago, and I mean the city, we never had a car, and I never, ever believed I'd ever step foot into Iowa, let alone live here.

I'm not sure Chicago knew where Iowa was, except every four years when the presidential candidates would pose in front of hog or a barn.

Des Moines is a pleasant place, with nice people --- but for me it lacks dash, excitement. And big water.

People in Iowa are always talking about family values and it's a family oriented state.

I'm divorced and in Iowa, people  move two by two, like Noah's Ark.

Big families are the thing. And talking about them and posting about them.

I had another relationship here that mutually didn't work out, and I have gut feeling  I won't meet ayone from Iowa.

I'm not looking for anyone, I'm a pretty independent person.I'd love a small cottage or home, close enough to a city I could get there quickly, but with a kind of nice  small popiulation o fretired folks, or older folks who twant to talk about music and movies  and books and for me, The White Sox.

I have a wonderful daugher and son, my daughter has a job she loves but might move to Minnesota -- where I would folllow. Not on her block. As you said, The Senor Citizen Center gives me the creeps.

Age wise I'd fit, but anything else -- no way.

My son is in Chicago, and we're close, but that's too expensive. And I agree, I'm so tired hearing about when we do this and we do that and when we travel. Fine or the we's, but there are ones.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 27

@justokwrote:

Never ever expecting to be 67 and retired, here I am.  When I left my last full-time job I also moved to a new location: Waco, TX.  The decision weighed many factors, but the primary one was affordability and climate.  Reliving my nightmares of cold, icy and snowy winters, it was time to get out of southern Delaware.  I also wanted to live somewhere where I could afford my own place to live, rather than have to suffer a roommate situation as I had.  And much to my dismay, I was also forced to consider the accessibility of medical care, which had been sparse in my previous location.  Waco seemed to fit most of my requirements and off I went.  A year later and I’m still here.>>

As large as the Baby Boomer generation is, I can’t believe that I’m the only one in this situation.  What I would like to see is more discussion about those of us who are aging alone. 

@justok  well first of all there is a group call Singles Perspective and all of us in that group are singles and we recognize that Singles have specific issues which are different from couples.   You might want to go over there and check out the posts. 

https://community.aarp.org/t5/Singles-Perspective-Revisited/bd-p/bg177

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Info Seeker

Message 5 of 27

Have you looked at any of the Assisted Living facilities in your location?  They allow independence and also have benefits such as providing transportation to and from doctors, etc. 

Conversationalist

Message 6 of 27

Thanks for reading it and for your feedback!  I don't know if I'll ever get it figured out, but at least one has to try. Smiley Happy

Conversationalist

Message 7 of 27

Thank you for reading my story and for your kind feedback.  

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 27

lots of great info.  and the thought of letting someone i really don't know handle my affairs is frightening.  i hope you get it all figured out. 

Conversationalist

Message 9 of 27

Thank you for taking the time to provide a detailed narrative of yor quest to find a fiduciary whom you can trust; you're especially generous because you're freely providing others with information that you yourself had to gain through personal experience. Thanks again.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 10 of 27
I had a dental implant done and stayed in a hotel next door to the office. The nursing staff took me there in a wheelchair. Am in the same situation. Before I get too feeble, I plan to place myself in a setting. But abhor the idea of nursing homes.
Announcements
Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families download this free guide developed by AARP to help make caregiving more manageable. It includes information on how to have vital conversations with older family members, organize important documents, assess your loved one's needs and locate important resources.
Top Kudoed Authors