Free Caregiving Webinar: Managing Your Loved One’s Finances - Tuesday at 7p.m. ET  Register Now

Conversationalist

Re: Retiring early - share your experience! Please!

Message 21 of 75 (453 Views)

I retired at age 65 mainly due to family needs as my wife who can no longer drive herself needed transportation to doctor appointments and I found it harder to get time off from work for such needs as I was in competition with nearly all my co-workers. So I finally decided to stay home and applied for retirement. I was old enough to get Medicare, So a major hurdle was cleared, health insurance. I also realized that it was time to retire anyway as I was beginning to have health issues of my own. Also the workplace was changing as such that I no longer felt I belonged there. Sure I missed the public contact and my fellow co-workers. But the pressures of the job were getting increasingly difficult to adjust to. So it was a relief to retire. And a joy to stay in bed in the morning listening to the younger neighbors of ours go to work each day and not having to join them. Now I could go shopping during the weekdays instead of weekends. And I could take a day trip out of town to shop or visit. One adjustment was not having to schedule doctor's visits just on my regular day off from work. Everyday was Saturday from now on!

Info Seeker

Message 22 of 75 (414 Views)

2nd day of retirement at 64..not sure yet...have many "To-Do's" before, I can find my own time. Had to move on,  job was killing me stress wise. Spouse is retiring in December...maybe when we are together... this time feels more uncertain.

Super Social Butterfly

Message 23 of 75 (503 Views)

I retired a little early, 63.  Never looked back, only ahead!

Info Seeker

Message 24 of 75 (625 Views)

You have asked about retireing early.  Economics made the choice for me.  I went back to school at age 54, graduated when I was 57.   For the next 54 months I looked for work onaverage 35+ per week, all documented. 7,560 applications, only 12 interviews.  Age discriminatoin is real.   I had financial help from BWC.  At age 62 I started living off asvings when BWC stopped,and as my savings eroded, I took early retirement.  If you do the math, retireing early is actually better. Most people will not reach the break-even stage till age 77 and who can say we will live that long. Even if we do, our buying power will be better buy going out early, as for maybe 5 years you will be drawing earnings that you can spend now when prices are lower.  It's not easy living on SS, I get the equalivent of about $7.78 in wages.  Plus still having to pay for medical.  It's not easy, lots of economizeing and doing without, but I have no regrets.

Info Seeker

Message 25 of 75 (643 Views)

Good for you and your mom!!! 

It sounds like she had a happy ending in this world. I love that you gave her all kinds of treats she requested. I am a social worker in a nursing home and I struggle with the nurses regarding "healthy food".  My mantra is green beans are not going to save them, let them have treats. You are a remarkable person and helped your mom enjoy her final chapter.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 26 of 75 (742 Views)
Hikermama...we retired in the Lake Chapala region of Mexico. Crossed at Laredo, TX and we're about 700 miles SW of there & just an hour south of Guadalajara. We too avoided the 'tourist' locales for retirement. Average day temp here around 73. We feel safe, but safety means different things to different people.
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 27 of 75 (794 Views)

Well, I was forced to retire after going through multiple cancer surgeries on my nose.  The company said they had no work for me.  I was a chef in a private school.  I worked there for 20 years.  Do I miss it?  No.  I love Retirement!!!

i love that I can get up and do what ever I want, when ever I want.

I live on Social Security only.  Before my cancer surgeries, I was taking care of my husband, he has paralized on his left side, he had 152 strokes, no kidding.

He had heart surgery, then later he passed away.

when you think to retire, have something to do, whether it's reading, writing( my passion), working out at a gym with people you enjoy.  Always look on the bright side.  Look for things to brighten up your day- a walk outside even if it's around the block, discover birds, flowers, do puzzles, keep motivated.

Info Seeker

Message 28 of 75 (814 Views)

We are 35 miles south of San Diego, CA. Retirement in Mexico has been great for me. My weight is down 105 pounds, my blood pressure is down & so is my cholesterol count.

No stress makes for a much better life.

Come on down as soon as you are ready! 

Life is great South of the Border!!

Info Seeker

Message 29 of 75 (806 Views)

I retired from public school education/administration in 1997 at age 47!  Back then, in New Mexico, full retirement was possible after 25 years of service.  I did 26 years!  I followed my dream to move to a small mountain town in Colorado.  I wanted to supplement my retirement income, so I went to work in retail and also worked for a non-profit for a couple of years.  But the powerful call of teaching was still strong.  I wasn't really "finished" with my career in education!  So I went back to my life-long-love: being in a school building!  I worked several years as an elementary school principal in Colorado, while drawing NM retirement.  I think they call it "double-dipping".  I changed school districts and worked as an English as a second language teacher for school-age learners as well as for adults! While teaching adults in the evenings, I was a substitute teacher at our local high school.  My previous years' experience had all been in elementary school.  I fell in love all over again-this time with high school students and the world of high school education.  It also gave me an opportunity to bond with my new daughter-in-law, who was beginning her career as a high school English teacher.   It took me a lot of soul-searching and doubting before I finally came to the decision that the school building would still stand with or without me, so I finally retired from all of my education jobs/loves at age 66.  Now I spend my time keeping up with my grandchildren, traveling-and still learning-with my husband.  I've rekindled my art skills and am seeking certification in a drawing technique called "Zentangle"  Once certified, I hope to begin teaching again!  This go-round should be at a little less frenzied pace as the title indicates: ZEN-tangle!

Info Seeker

Message 30 of 75 (820 Views)

I retired at 60 but not by original plan. Due to recent benefits changes that mandated I retire or face losing healthcare in retirement. Working over 41 years on the job, along with well placed investments, created a portfolio that I was not really not paying that much attention to as far as being able to retire early. Once I was given an ultimatum of healthcare or not, it was discovered that, yes, we could do this!

Besides a pension at 60, investments, and an additional Soc Sec benefit at 62, this would allow us the freedom to indeed retire. Once tasting retirement (3 years now) it is so so nice. We now can travel, enjoy hobbies, take relaxing walks which we thoroughly enjoy. We now prepare to visit our college student studying abroad in Paris, France. A big reason for our postion comes from good investments early (for college) and spending wisely.

I personally have always loved stopping and enjoying time with family. Twice during my working career I took lesser paying postions which allowed me to have more time at home. The alternative would have been out of town travel, and/or longer work hours. Though a consistent employee who could have earned much more, what I learned from taking lesser pay was how to manage home on less. Very much to my surprise, it got me out of the rat race early.