From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: How do you choose a place to retire? I've already made 1 mistake and don't want to make another.

Message 1 of 51

My personal criteria are cheap and warm. I suggest you use one of the "retirement places rated" resources such as sperlings https://www.bestplaces.net/docs/studies/americas_best_cities_for_a_healthy_retirement.aspx

Bit dig into the criteria for each place to see what gets them the high rating.

Also google this "retirement places rated" for a bunch of other rankings.

A source I really like (it may have a small fee) is https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/about-the-data/crime-rates

It gets into the data by zip code as to crimes rates and the type of people who live in the zip code (income levels, occupations, ethnicity, etc).  It is very good granular data.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: How do you choose a place to retire? I've already made 1 mistake and don't want to make another.

Message 2 of 51

Hi nyadm - - Just want to let you know, in case NC is on your interest list, do NOT come here. I thought I'd done due diligence after making 5 different trips down to NC over 4 years to spend 10 to 14 days in each area I was contemplating retiring to - going to local markets & events, exploring old newspapers in the library, talking to local people at restaurants, stores, etc., using realtors to look at housing, etc. - so I made the move 12 years ago. All I can say is that many things have changed since I first moved down here, plus there are some things I didn't discover until I became a homeowner.

First, income taxes have changed dramatically for retirees - getting worse, not better, if you get a pension, which didn't use to be taxable, but now is. Even though "taxes" may be going down, "fees", which are really nothing but taxes, have gone up even more than the taxes have gone down, plus, the fees are now on even more products & services than they were when I first moved here. Once you reach age 65 there is a property tax discount you can apply for, but until then, the property tax has gone up to be about where I remember them being for me when I lived in western NY.

Second, while the weather was temperate during the first 10 years I was here (an occasional day over 100F in the summer & maybe one snowfall of around 3" during the Winter), the last 2 years here have made me decide to move back North. We had over 42 days this past Summer where I waited until 11p.m. to walk down my driveway to get my mail, or go to the store to shop for groceries because I could hardly breathe in the high humidity & heat of the day. The high heat & humidity also seemed to make the insects larger & more aggressive. What's the difference if I hibernate in the Winter in the North, or in the Summer in the South? At least if its cold I can wear more layers. There is only so much I can remove if I get too hot. This Winter our 4th snowfall is predicted for tomorrow - the 4th week of March, after many plants are already in bloom due to the 70F temperatures we had 2 weeks ago.

Third, unless you're extremely religious, be prepared to be bowled over by the zealousness of people who can't seem to stop themselves from trying to convert you with every breath they take. This also leads to a lot of prejudice and discrimination from local retailers. I couldn't believe the attitude of some clerks in stores where I asked about purchasing lottery tickets. Yikes!!

Fourth, while Southern hospitality and politeness are nice - to a degree - after awhile you understand that someone saying "aren't you sweet" or "bless your heart" with a southern drawl, isn't a compliment. Don't depend on service from retailers to be the same, even in nationally known stores, as it was where you used to live. The majority of NC employees I've run into don't know what you're talking about when you say things like improvement opportuities, Six Sigma, Lean Manufacturing, the customer is always right, or even that a customer has rights. I'm not sure if its a matter of inept training, not wanting to be trained, laziness, or what, but I've been very disappointed and sometimes stressed to the max, by employees and sometimes even management, in many stores. I now do almost all my shopping online due to this ineptitude.

I'd always planned to move into a CCRC around the time I was 70, so that's the plan I've started to put together now with hopes of being settled into one back up North by 2020. Not sure with the way the real estate and stock markets are currently performing if I'll be able to swing it or not, now. I might have waited too long to make the move. We'll see. 

Cee
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 51

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 51
Sorry meant Las Vegas😊
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 51
How is it to live in Las Gegas??
Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 51

You can narrow your search criteria down and make a list of the top 3 or 4. But there is NO substitute for living there day to day. I'd look into sublets or house-sitting, or even house-swapping. Visit senior centers and start talking to people. Most are happy to tell you what they like and don't like about various parts of the region. They might even be able to suggest looking somewhere nearby you hadn't even thought of.

I'd visit several times over the course of a year to see what it's like in all seasons.

We personally have no interest in moving. We have climate, healthcare, a vibrant and lively regional culture, mountains AND ocean, family, and our favorite hobby--going out to dine at the many fabulous restaurants throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.

We're planning on moving to a local CCRC when we finally decide to sell our SFH. Takes a lot of upkeep and eventually the home & garden work will be too much. The CCRC we've selected is very much an 'active urban senior' community and is nearby, so family and friends will still be around (if they stay in the area; people move around a lot these days). 

Although we enjoy Boomer music, our best friends are Millennials. We're not real geeks or gamers, but a lot of our interests are general enough that age is no barrier to social conversation. We're perfectly happy to talk about the new iZombie series on CW or a new paranormal fantasy e-book we want to share. 

It's a big decision to move. We moved my MIL to a different CCRC after more than a year of researching nearby options. We made multiple visits, asked 'the hard questions', and picked the one whose social atmosphere seemed the best fit for her.

After my spouse and I checked it out a couple of times, we took her there three different times over the next few months to make sure she saw how nice it was and how friendly the people were. The food is very good and had lots of variety. We took her to view several different units so she could pick the one she wanted (choice of Bay view or hillside view, both equally sunny).

She loved it there and that made all the time/effort worth it. But finding the facility wasn't quick, nor was making the move. Going slowly and carefully was the key. 

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: EasterlingK1104: BLUFFTON, S.C.:

Message 7 of 51

You should give Bluffton Sun City a visit.  I believe you can even stay there for a visit.  Their numbers 843.560.9310 or 888.976.2343.They have a website www.delwebb.com/SunCity

Good luck with your decision.

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

EasterlingK1104: BLUFFTON, S.C.:

Message 8 of 51

EasterlingK1104

Thank you for responding.  Sounds like you are enjoying retirement!

I don't want to MOVE...but it only makes sense financially and being in a community where seniors are #1 ...Smiley Happy 

I've been searching for years and now am ready to make a decision.

Heading to Florida for a visit soon.....it's a mecca for seniors.

Be sure to keep us up to date on your activities. 

FLORIDA.jpg

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: BLUFFTON, S.C.:

Message 9 of 51

We do not live in a Del Webb community.  However there is a very large one in Bluffton, SC.  We volunteer at several places and meet up with other volunteers.  Some are from Sun City, the Del Webb community.  Everyone we have talked to just love that community.  I guess they have a very active community organizer that has many activities available and sets up lots of tours and what not.  Had we looked there when we were looking for a home here, we probably bought in there.  Too bad.  We will stay here for a few years and maybe sell and buy at Sun City.  Nice homes and a reasonable price.

Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

BLUFFTON, S.C.:

Message 10 of 51

Dear EasterlingK1104,

You live in a Del Webb community?  Which one?

Thank you.

585706q53cm0zj7x.gif

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season