From travel insurance to fraud protection, AARP has you covered. Take a closer look at your member benefits.

Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Haves and Have-Nots

Message 31 of 106

Where does any of this apply to work?

Those quotes were published from a Forbes article stating that these were principles, and quotes, that all business people should know. They consider those quotes, as I do, totally applicable to work and how to conduct oneself in a work environment. 

I also don't know which '4'  years you're referring to. High school, or undergrad. I'm thinking high school. If so, I would disagree. I believe business should be taught at a college level, including business math, economics, and soc/psych (people studies). High school is a time for math, science, lit (with Shakespeare). We already graduate a large number of kids that cannot do basic math, or read at a level they should be. Economics takes math to properly understand. We have millions of people (according to what I read) that graduate from high school and can't solve for 'x' in "...x+1 = 2... Solve for 'x'.

You should be capable of reading contracts by 18 years of age. No, not all the legal terms, but capable of reading the contract and looking up the legal terms and understanding it. Can't teach 'business' to anyone who can't read with a comprehension level to understand contract law, the basis of business. Can't teach anyone how to do spreadsheets, or understand P&L's, without sound math skills.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 106
Where does any of this apply to work?
That's what I' saying. We had to endure 4 years of this as a daily class, as a required subject in order to graduate.
Wouldn't this time have been better spent in economics, general business, people studies?
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 106

.".... Figuratively I say good courses were taken out and we were force fed Shakespeare, that turned out to be little or no value in the work world.....".

Au contraire.

From Forbes, for business people.

"....And as I reflected on this, I thought of Shakespeare, one of the most accurate and insightful people of all time in terms of understanding the human condition. Whether or not you’re a fan of the bard, he wrote many lines of truly timeless wisdom that directly support our efforts to be good and worthy leaders.  Here are my top ten favorites:

On passion: “To business that we love we rise betimes, and go to’t with delight.”

On taking smart risks: “There is a tide in the affairs of men which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune; omitted, all the voyage of their life is bound in shallows and in miseries.”

On trustworthiness: “The purest treasure mortal times afford is spotless reputation—that away, Men are but gilded loam, or painted clay.”

On resilience: “Wise men ne’er sit and wail their loss, but cheerily seek how to redress their harms.”

On vision and strategy: “See first that the design is wise and just; that ascertained, pursue it resolutely.”

On authenticity: “This above all, to thine own self be true, and it must follow as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man.”

On wisdom: “There is no darkness but ignorance.”

On self-confidence: “Our doubts are traitors and cause us to miss the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt.”

On earning respect: “Let none presume to wear an undeserved dignity.”

On optimism: “True hope is swift, and flies with swallow’s wings. Kings it makes gods, and meaner creatures kings.”

The longer I live, the more I notice that the world offers me nearly endless sources of inspiration and clarity every day. Or, in Shakespeare’s own words, “A right judgement draws us a profit from all things we see.”

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 106
No quotes are necessary.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Re: REPLY TO 78736061 Haves and Have-Nots

Message 35 of 106
And you can evade the point. Attacking me is useless. The post says clearly "most" jobs. Please keep to the subjects of the discussion and respond succinctly with substance.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 106

@EDChou wrote:
The gist of the discussion is helping without all the preconditions. Without judgements.

What are you calling judgements ?

What are you calling preconditions?

Learning to use the quote function here would help with the conversation.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 106

@EDChou wrote:
Again, try most jobs. Especially lower paying jobs.

How low?  What type?  What area? 

You haven't changed - you can always come back with what if's . . . .

You can do whatever - anybody can grip, moan, find problems, etc. - it is the solutions that are hard and they are the ones that really count.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 106
The gist of the discussion is helping without all the preconditions. Without judgements.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 106
Again, try most jobs. Especially lower paying jobs.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 106

@EDChou wrote:
All valid.
Now where's the help?

Specifically, what help?  I listed some general ones.  As with anything of this nature - the specific details and situation matters.

As to the financial literacy problems - we all have brains which hopefully we have been taught to use by again, another government program - public schools and there is a wealth of information out there on this thing called the internet or for those who have problems using it and need help - a visit to the states social services of whatever sub-category of dept., supposedly there to direct people with a need.

What's wrong with being self-taught especially with the basics?

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark