Find out how to register, vote early, research a candidate and more in AARP's midterm election guide.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: REPLY TO 78736061 Haves and Have-Nots

Message 31 of 100

EDChou wrote:
Again, try most jobs. Especially lower paying jobs.

How low?  What type?  What area? 

You haven't changed - you can always come back with what if's . . . .

You can do whatever - anybody can grip, moan, find problems, etc. - it is the solutions that are hard and they are the ones that really count.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Haves and Have-Nots

Message 32 of 100
The gist of the discussion is helping without all the preconditions. Without judgements.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 100
Again, try most jobs. Especially lower paying jobs.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 100

EDChou wrote:
All valid.
Now where's the help?

Specifically, what help?  I listed some general ones.  As with anything of this nature - the specific details and situation matters.

As to the financial literacy problems - we all have brains which hopefully we have been taught to use by again, another government program - public schools and there is a wealth of information out there on this thing called the internet or for those who have problems using it and need help - a visit to the states social services of whatever sub-category of dept., supposedly there to direct people with a need.

What's wrong with being self-taught especially with the basics?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 100
You hit on a big one in financial education and decision making. Sometime back it was mentioned by mickstuder that courses about business, money, economics, were being taken out of his high school when he started. I saw this at my high school also, about the same time. Figuratively I say good courses were taken out and we were force fed Shakespeare, that turned out to be little or no value in the work world.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 100

EDChou wrote:
Try to get a job without going through a third party.

I guess that depends on the type of job you might be looking for -

Even state unemployment offices work with agencies or have one of their own - it is just easier to have all the similar applicants in one place even if it is only a data base or an agency that has expertise in a certain area of the job marketplace.

Actually unions may act as employment agencies too in a certain respect.

Some of the trend now is to actually be employed by the agency and sub-contracted out to the company.  This was recently in the news since the NLRB made some rulings.

Business Insider - Reuters 08/28/2015 Unions set sights on e-commerce and manufacturing firms after ...

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 100
Try to get a job without going through a third party.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 100
All valid.
Now where's the help?
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 100

EDChou wrote:

A big part of the problem is third parties in the employment process - the "recruiters", "temps", "agencies". They are not in the business for your benefit.  They are parasitic partners of the corporate giants who have shown themselves to be detrimental to the worker and especially, to the job hunter.

Regulation is part of the answer.  Elimination is a much better answer.

Recruiters, many times, are employed directly by the company which they serve and perhaps its affilliates - they recruite for a specific position or job.  They are just looking for needed talent.

Temp Services and employment agencies serve a purpose in the overall job market especially the job hunter.  Being a fish in a smaller, more specialized, pond, especially one where the service or agency makes no money off of an individual unless they are employed, is a big benefit to the job hunter. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 100

EDChou wrote:

sh70419902 wrote:

My husband and I were prepared quite well for retirement at age 70....then I had two massive heart attacks and our insurance capped on the first one.  After paying off the bills left by the crappy insurance (which we thought covered all my expenses) I had the second attack.  After a week in critical care the bills were so huge our ONLY recourse was to completely deplete all IRA's, savings accounts and sold the house. We moved to a state where the COL was reduced, bought a "fixer-upper" and the husband found a job. Unfortunately his salary is NOT as nice as it was prior to our move which I suppose goes right along with the reduced cost of living.  I still have over 500K in hospital bills and am no longer capable of working. So for me it is social security's measly check to try to suppliment my husbands reduced income. I've read some of the comments that seem to blame the working poor for the situation they are in, and it disturbs me.  

What's wrong with this picture?!!

What does this say about the American health care system as it stands?!

Where's the help from those who can?!

I don't think there is enough information to answer your questions.

I noted several points in the posters story . . . . any of all of them seem like questionable decision making in my view based only from the information given.

1.  the type and coverage of the insurance which they had at the time

Each of us have to pick the best coverage based on our health, network coverage, insurance plan coverage and our total financial picture.  Knowledge and understanding about the insurance product is paramount in planning.

2.  Depleting retirement accounts

This should never be done since they are protected funds.  The purpose of these funds are for retirement and that does not go away if you survive.

3.  Moving to a lower COL area was probably a good decision as long as there was adequate medical care, so it depends on where the relocation was located.  However, many times medical cost and insurance are higher in rural areas than in urban areas because of competitive forces and of course, availability is lower in more rural areas.

4.  a "fixer upper" can be a money pit - renting might be cheaper especially when considering that rent would be a known cost whereas a fixer upper could have escalating cost in many different areas.

EDChou, I believe that a lot of our problems lie in financial education and decision making - which covers all aspects of a person's use of money - from savings to buying products (like insurance of all types) which also cover the financial aspects of our lives.

There is always Medicaid for those who meet the criteria of income and need.

We have tons of housing programs under HUD - subsidized and Sect. 8 - which covers the elderly, disabled and the poor.

Those that CAN or those that HAVE, as you categorize the differentiation,  support all of these programs with their tax money and this is just talking about government programs; there may be even more at specific state levels especially since these programs are designed by the various states.

Kudos
Views